02/05/2013 04:10 AM
02/05/2013 04:10 AM
Tulsa
airforce Offline OP
Administrator
airforce  Offline OP
Administrator
Tulsa
Someone leaked the administration's white paper on targeted killing of American citizens to NBC. "Lawfulness of a Lethal Operation D...der of Al Qa’ida or An Associated Force" can be found at the link. (Before you ask me what an "associated force is, I don't know.)

One quote stands out in particular:

This paper does not attempt to determine the minimum requirements necessary to render such an operation lawful, nor does it assess what might be required to render a lethal operation against a U.S. citizen lawful in other circumstances.
Think carefully about the implications of that single sentence.

To accept this white paper as legitimate, you would have to place your complete trust in the competence and ethics of President Obama, his underlings in the administration, and of his successors to the Oval Office. And if you think I'm willing to do that, you haven't been paying attention.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Lawfullness of Obama's Targeted Killing Program #155792
02/05/2013 07:44 AM
02/05/2013 07:44 AM
Tulsa
airforce Offline OP
Administrator
airforce  Offline OP
Administrator
Tulsa
For eleven Senators, including eigh...blicans, the "white paper is not enough. They want more details, including the actual legal opinions by the DOJ. See their two-page letter to president Obama at the link.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Lawfullness of Obama's Targeted Killing Program #155793
02/05/2013 08:04 AM
02/05/2013 08:04 AM
behind enemy lines
N
noname762 Offline
noname762  Offline
N
behind enemy lines
I trust that worm Obummer about as far as I can spit into the wind.

Grass fed Beef..it's what's fer supper July 4th.
Re: Lawfullness of Obama's Targeted Killing Program #155794
02/05/2013 09:33 AM
02/05/2013 09:33 AM
Western States
Breacher Offline
Breacher  Offline
Western States
Does anyone here really believe that no president has used his authority to direct a hit ever prior to say, George Bush?

The problem is not how high the authority goes, but how low it goes. I think anyone can readily assume that the president can and will use his authority to put the green light on a hit and there is not much legally that can be said about it, but then the real question, the real question, is how low the authority goes.

A lot of strong indications I have gotten in recent years is that the authority to direct an extrajudicial killing goes down to the US Attorney level, somewhere in the midlevel chain of command at local US Attorney's offices lies the authority to determine that someone is to be killed rather than a conventional arrest and prosecution.

This, including a claim made by a recently retired prosecutor, and upon examination of how the "assistant" US attorneys rewrote the rules of engagement at Ruby Ridge, to basically authorize execution of anyone in the weaver family observed with a firearm.

Mind you, the "observed with a firearm" leading to execution is not entirely alien to common police practice now in dealing with what they determine to be "dangerous individuals". As a matter of fact, the sniper-friendly rules of engagement from Ruby Ridge have been frequently borrowed from in other cases.

So it is not exactly the president himself who is the problem, it is when we have a dead body on our hands, a victim of murder, and nobody even knows who authorized it, except that you will likely find out that the US Attorney's office would be interfering with or ignoring the death investigation, and even among them, it goes like this:

Due to the possible "complications" of a death investigation being impossible to deflect, the methods uses would then be shifted over to things which look like accidents, crime, or suicide.

From what I gather, these things go to some sort of council, a group of people will lightly argue and discuss the utility of a targeted killing vs conventional prosecution, and when the conventional prosecution is deemed "impractical", then they go to the targeted killing decision.

Then the question is what records and level of disclosure happen at these meetings, and who are the decision makers at those meetings.

One really basic aspect of American law is that you have the right to face your accusers, to know who it is that has defamed you so much that they are demanding your blood for the offense they perceive.

I am guessing that these decisions are functionally, secret trials, with "expert juries", and they actually make death decisions on a regular basis within the prison system. I have had access to some of those manuals at a federal courthouse library, but not been able to get back there for a few years. One of the books detailed some of the procedures put in place for dealing with what they consider to be "particularly dangerous" prisoners who are near the completion of their prison sentences, and some sober realities of the decisions made on whether or not to let the person go at all, and that is regardless of whether or not a sentence has been completed.

That's not even approaching what makes a person "dangerous" or prosecution "impractical" but it does not take any special stretch of the imagination at all to have grave concerns over whether or not issues of the innocence, community standing or the fact that they would rather just kill someone while violating their rights because that tidies things up better than a messy trial where the person might disclose the criminal activity of informants, collaborators, or government officials.

That's the real problem, when you effectively have an organized crime cartel using NDAA to further their extortion and protection rackets and NOT the president having the authority to identify and deal with extreme threats to the nation.

We have two board moderators here who were subject of killing attempts made prior to Obama taking office, so please understand some of us more than others have very much of an inside view of how these things worked. Drone strike? no, murder attempts made to look like accidents with some cocky government guy taking credit and saying 'oh you just got very lucky', yes. Especially when we look at that sophisticated shit someone tried on Strat.

We could not even blame the President on that one, just some obscure nobody in some obscure corner of the government who decided to be a hater and had access to some extremely rare weapons. In the case of a poisoning attempt done to another one of our people it was someone with access to a particular substance that is very hard to come by, in a form that is even harder to get than that, and under circumstances where only the government knew the exact location of the individual.

Life liberty, and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Trump: not the president America needs, but the president America deserves.
Re: Lawfullness of Obama's Targeted Killing Program #155795
02/06/2013 07:40 AM
02/06/2013 07:40 AM
Tulsa
airforce Offline OP
Administrator
airforce  Offline OP
Administrator
Tulsa
Senator Lindsey Graham (R-South Car...upport Obama\'s targeted killing program , and protect president Obama from those nasty libertarians.

“Every member of Congress needs to get on board,” Graham said. “It’s not fair to the president to let him, leave him out there alone quite frankly. He’s getting hit from libertarians and the left.

“I think the middle of America understands why you would want a drone program to go after a person like Anwar al-Awlaki,” Graham added.

“The process of being targeted I think is legal, quite frankly laborious and should reside in the commander in chief to determine who an enemy combatant is and what kind of force to use.”

“If this ever goes to court I guarantee you it will be a slam dunk support of what the administration is doing. I think one of the highlights of President Obama’s first time and the beginning of his second term is the way he’s been able to use drones against terrorists."
he will introduce a resolution next week to commend Obama for his murder of a 16-year-old boy .

Yes, that's what we've come to. You can't make this stuff up.

Onward and upward,
airforce

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.