12/11/2015 02:00 PM
12/11/2015 02:00 PM
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
ConSigCor Offline OP
ConSigCor  Offline OP
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
White House finalizing executive action on guns

By Jordan Fabian - 12/10/15 12:57 PM EST

The White House is finalizing a new executive action that would expand background checks on gun purchases, according to one of President Obama’s top aides.

Senior adviser Valerie Jarrett said Wednesday the president has asked his team to send him a completed plan “in short order,” according to The Associated Press. She spoke at a vigil for victims of the 2012 shooting in Newtown, Conn., that left 28 dead.

White House press secretary Josh Earnest on Thursday refused to elaborate on the timeline to issue the unilateral proposals.

“At this point, I still don’t have an update on the progress the administration is making on scrubbing the rules," Earnest told reporters at his daily press briefing.

ADVERTISEMENT
Still, Jarrett’s comments are an indication that Obama could soon roll out a proposal that would set up a major battle with Republicans in Congress and gun rights groups.

Stymied by Congress on new gun control measures, Obama has been weighing a number of executive actions on guns following an October mass shooting at an Oregon community college.

The effort took on even more urgency after last month’s attack in San Bernardino, Calif., which left 14 dead.

Obama has been holding meetings with gun control advocates to gauge their support and solicit ideas. He met last Friday with former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.), who survived a gunshot to the head during a 2011 mass shooting in Tucson.

A proposal Obama is reportedly considering would classify more sellers as high-volume dealers, which would close a legal loophole that allows many sales conducted online or at gun shows to skirt existing background check provisions.

But such a measure would surely prompt a legal challenge from gun rights groups, which say Obama lacks the authority to tighten background checks alone. The National Rifle Association and GOP lawmakers have blasted the idea as executive overreach.

"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861
Re: White House finalizing executive action on guns #158943
12/11/2015 05:26 PM
12/11/2015 05:26 PM
Omaha Nebraska
Huskerpatriot Offline
Huskerpatriot  Offline
Omaha Nebraska
The only "loophole" for gun shows or online is peer-to-peer private treaty sales. Many online sites even make you use an FFL for this, so I'm not sure what they are closing down here.

"Government at its best is a necessary evil, and at it�s worst, an intolerable one."
 Thomas Paine (from "Common Sense" 1776)
Re: White House finalizing executive action on guns #158944
12/11/2015 06:51 PM
12/11/2015 06:51 PM
Somewhere in these blue ridged...
The Answer Offline
The Answer  Offline
Somewhere in these blue ridged...
Congress may indicate pre-emptive intent in two ways: through a statute's express language or through its structure and purpose. See Jones v. Rath Packing Co., 430 U. S. 519, 525 (1977).

Express preemption requires a statute (an act of congress) to explicitly say the law which contradicts the state law. Regulatory decrees don't do this.

Implied preemption happens two ways.

Conflict and field preemption. Conflict happens when a state law conflicts with a congressional act, creates an "obstacle" in enforcing a congressional act, or frustrates the purpose of an act of congress. None of those things involve regulations.

Field preemption is when the federal laws "occupy the field" where the state law exists. Again, acts of congress and not regulations.

The Federal Gov't can't change state laws. In Virginia, no paperwork on private sales. It would take an act of congress to change that (supremacy clause). Regulatory orders can't change state law.

Besides obviously unconstitutional efforts, I don't think much can be done.

Check this out. Regulations derive their power from existing law. If the law doesn't say they can do it, or the law can't be interpreted to say they can do it, it can't. The laws have to be sufficiently clear that they give the power to regulate based on the laws.

http://www.trolp.org/main_pgs/issues/v11n1/Pace.pdf

Semper Vigilantes, Numquam Exspectantes

Always Watching, Never Waiting
Re: White House finalizing executive action on guns #158945
12/12/2015 05:28 PM
12/12/2015 05:28 PM
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
ConSigCor Offline OP
ConSigCor  Offline OP
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
White House Finalizing Plan to Take Major Gun Control Action Using Executive Authority, Valerie Jarrett Says

Dec. 10, 2015 Jason Howerton

WASHINGTON (TheBlaze/AP) — President Barack Obama’s advisers are finalizing a proposal that would expand background checks on gun sales without congressional approval.

White House adviser Valerie Jarrett says the president has asked his team to complete a proposal and submit it for his review “in short order.” She says the recommendations will include measures to expand background checks.

Jarrett spoke Wednesday night at a vigil for the victims of the Newtown shooting, according to a summary provided by the White House.

After the mass shooting in Roseburg, Oregon, Obama said his team was looking for ways to tighten gun laws without a vote in Congress. White House officials have said they’re exploring closing the so-called “gun show loophole” that anti-gun advocates claim allows people to buy weapons at gun shows and online without a background check.

The move comes following the deadly terrorist attack in San Bernardino, California, that left 14 people dead. All of the guns used in the massacre were purchased legally. Opponents of new gun control regulations have argued that the proposals being pushed by Obama would not have prevented the tragedy or recent mass shootings.

The Washington Post’s Glenn Kessler concluded that Marco Rubio’s claim that gun control wouldn’t have prevented the mass shootings that have occurred in “last few months or years” is accurate.

“Rubio’s statement stands up to scrutiny — at least for the recent past, as he framed it. Notably, three of the mass shootings took place in California, which already has strong gun laws including a ban on certain weapons and high-capacity magazines,” Kessler wrote.

The Obama administration has maintained that strengthening background checks, banning semi-automatic rifles deemed “assault rifles” and revoking the Second Amendment rights of people on the “no-fly” list could prevent dangerous people from getting guns.

"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861
Re: White House finalizing executive action on guns #158946
12/13/2015 07:16 AM
12/13/2015 07:16 AM
Omaha Nebraska
Huskerpatriot Offline
Huskerpatriot  Offline
Omaha Nebraska
Again.., I hear liberals talk about these so-called "loopholes"...

But I've yet to have anyone tell me how these work.

"Government at its best is a necessary evil, and at it�s worst, an intolerable one."
Re: White House finalizing executive action on guns #158947
12/13/2015 07:28 AM
12/13/2015 07:28 AM
Western States
Breacher Offline
Breacher  Offline
Western States
Originally posted by Huskerpatriot:
Again.., I hear liberals talk about these so-called "loopholes"...

But I've yet to have anyone tell me how these work.
They make laws for the benefit of appealing to the platform of their own constituency then have built in excuses for the lack of enforcement because they don't have the guts to lose personnel in the gun grab and the inevitable backlash.

Only Republicans have the balls to oversee real door kicking death squad gun grabbing states of emergency. Then gun owners are caught in shock and awe at the betrayal. Works every time.

Life liberty, and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Trump: not the president America needs, but the president America deserves.
Re: White House finalizing executive action on guns #158948
12/28/2015 04:08 AM
12/28/2015 04:08 AM
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
ConSigCor Offline OP
ConSigCor  Offline OP
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
Obama’s Planned Gun Control Regulations to be Incrementally Imposed After the Holidays

Dave Hodges December 25, 2015

According to my sources, Obama will ultimately implement the following gun control regulations, mostly through a series of Executive Orders.

Tax ammunition into oblivion and encourage the prosecution of gun manufacturers and bullet producers for shootings using their products. This is a given and will be rolled out very early in the form of an Executive Order.

The Federal government will purchase as much ammunition as possible in order to create shortages, thus, driving up the price of ammunition.

The prohibition of purchasing a gun in one state and transporting that same gun across state lines.

New Federal regulations which will permit, without a warrant, any civil authority to enter a home of a registered gun owner to check for gun safety when it comes to the “proper” storage of guns. Said gun can be confiscated and the owner will be subject to arrest and fines if a gun does not meet governmental storage regulations. The new regulations will be devised to prevent one from using the gun in a moment’s notice.

There is discussion among DoJ officials about limiting how guns, in the aggregate, that can be stored in one geographic area. This will amount to gun rationing.

Gun owners will eventually be required to attend and pass gun safety courses in the same manner as one renews their drivers license. This will, again, drive up the cost of owning a gun.

At some point, no doubt following a false flag event, an Executive Order will be issued to overturn all conceal and carry laws currently in place in several states.

With regard to Child Protective Services investigations, any gun-owning parent will receive an negative score when it comes to investigation of child abuse and welfare cases.

No veteran will be allowed to own a gun for an unspecified period of time following their discharge from the service. As part of the VA reform there is serious discussion about mandating outplacement counseling for all veterans and gun prohibitions will be a part of this. I was told that this is, in part, why all the Federal attention is being placed on streamlining the VA process for veteran access.

The scope of gun free zones will be expanded. The IRS will be given policing powers on new gun control regulations. Bank accounts and homes can be seized for failure to comply. Further, RICO statutes can be utilized among the non-compliant. It was stressed to me that examples will be made of protesters and non-compliant people.

Obama will wait for the next false flag, but will announce a ban on all assault rifles.

None of the above are in any particular order. These soon-to-be regulations appeared on a D0J White Paper that leaked to one of my sources.

According to EO 13603, the President, or the head of any federal agency that he shall designate, can conscript “persons of outstanding experience and ability without compensation,” in both “peacetime and times of national emergency.” I can hear the Obama supporters now as they will write to me and say, “Obama would never do that, you are drinking from the Kool-Aid”. Well, here it is, you can read it for yourself.

Sec. 502. Consultants. The head of each agency otherwise delegated functions under this order is delegated the authority of the President under sections 710(b) and (c) of the Act, 50 U.S.C. App. 2160(b), (c), to employ persons of outstanding experience and ability without compensation and to employ experts, consultants, or organizations. The authority delegated by this section may not be redelegated.

This means that Obama, and his fellow communists, can seize any resource, property, or person at any time for any reason, including being able to force that person to perform assigned labor without being paid.

There is only ONE word for forced, “uncompensated employment”. That would is slavery. Congratulations President Obama, you have effectively repealed the 13th Amendment to the Constitution.

Section 601 of the act specifies, in part, how far the government can go in terms of making you their slave.

Sec. 601. Secretary of Labor. (a) The Secretary of Labor, in coordination
with the Secretary of Defense and the heads of other agencies, as deemed
appropriate by the Secretary of Labor, shall:
(1) collect and maintain data necessary to make a continuing appraisal
of the Nation’s workforce needs for purposes of national defense;
(2) upon request by the Director of Selective Service, and in coordination
with the Secretary of Defense, assist the Director of Selective Service
in development of policies regulating the induction and deferment of
persons for duty in the armed services;
(3) upon request from the head of an agency with authority under this
order, consult with that agency with respect to: (i) the effect of contemplated
actions on labor demand and utilization; (ii) the relation of
labor demand to materials and facilities requirements; and (iii) such other
matters as will assist in making the exercise of priority and allocations
functions consistent with effective utilization and distribution of labor;
(4) upon request from the head of an agency with authority under this
order: (i) formulate plans, programs, and policies for meeting the labor
requirements of actions to be taken for national defense purposes; and
(ii) estimate training needs to help address national defense requirements
and promote necessary and appropriate training programs

If the above section was merely going to be a military draft, then the Secretary of Labor would not have to be involved. However, as you will note the “Secretary of Labor, in coordination with the Secretary of Defense and heads of other agencies, as deemed appropriate by the Secretary of Labor, shall: …assist in the development of policies regulating the induction and deferment of persons for duty in the armed services;… formulate plans, programs, and policies for meeting the labor requirements of actions to be taken for national defense purposes; and (ii) estimate training needs to help address national defense requirements and promote necessary and appropriate training programs…”. Refer back to section 502 of sections 710(b) and (c) of the Act, 50 U.S.C. App. 2160(b), (c); these are the people that the Secretary of the Labor will conscript in order “to employ persons of outstanding experience and ability without compensation and to employ experts, consultants, or organizations.”

This, my fellow Americans, is a civilian conscription and this is why the Secretary of Labor is in charge instead of the head of the Selective Service! Under these provisions, the government believes that they can send you anywhere, to work on anything of their choosing.

Of course, Executive Order 13603 will be enforced by Federal goons armed with guns. And like Mao, their will be enforced against people who have been disarmed.

The Solution? Noncompliance With All Government Imposed Gun Control Regulations.

Re: White House finalizing executive action on guns #158949
12/28/2015 05:07 AM
12/28/2015 05:07 AM
Omaha Nebraska
Huskerpatriot Offline
Huskerpatriot  Offline
Omaha Nebraska
This is scary disgusting...

There has to be SOME form of legislative oversight of executive actions... Without it, you simply have executive tyranny trumping all checks and balances with his "unconstitutional pen and phone"

Re: White House finalizing executive action on guns #158950
12/28/2015 05:14 AM
12/28/2015 05:14 AM
Trapped in Rhode Island
L
Lord Vader Offline
Lord Vader  Offline
L
Trapped in Rhode Island
Anything that Obama can do via an Executive Order can be undone via an Executive Order.

If Cruz or Trump become President they can simply reverse every one of Obama's Executive Orders.

The Solution? Noncompliance With All Government Imposed Gun Control Regulations.
That is only part of the Solution another part of the Solution is for their to be Massive Armed Demonstrations in every City of every State and if that stop Obama then we need to go all the way and I know that we all know what that is.

Another thing what was posted would effect every Gun Owner and would not only effect Owners of Semi-Autos so the likely response would come from a lot greater percentage of gun owners then if it only effected owners of "Assault Weapons"

I have felt for a long time that Obama wants to be President for life and if he does do this, then it not only may but I believe will be all the excuse and justification Obama will need to declare Martial Law, Suspend the Constitution and Cancel the Election, when Gun Owners forcefully resist.

Also If Obama does this then I believe that it will give impetus to States like Texas to Secede.

The legacy of the Obama Presidency will be the President who started the Second American Civil War or Revolution.

VINCE AUT MORIRE (Conquer or Die)
Re: White House finalizing executive action on guns #158951
12/28/2015 05:03 PM
12/28/2015 05:03 PM
Western States
Breacher Offline
Breacher  Offline
Western States
I am with you on the noncompliance, but when it is federal turf, everything is a felony, and once you have felony paper for breaking those illegitimate gun laws, you are a total piece of shit in the eyes of both the establishment and even a large portion of the "fringe" of the Republican party and even a lot of self-identified Libertarians. Remember Jared and Amanda Miller being invited to leave the Bundy Ranch with the bootprints on their asses and some gas money.

They lashed out in despair and frustration because when they pledged their lives in defense of other people's freedom and property, they were told they were full of shit. When they "started the revolution", nobody followed in kind. In fact, we heard a bunch of rumor and innuendo that they had been at the Bundy Ranch only as government informants, because Jared Miller had once been on probation and was being obligated to self-report to a probation officer. In that capacity, he had supposedly informed to some extent on some dope dealers in his area. Meanwhile, former drug agents still sporting law enforcement credentials had full access to anything they wanted in and around the Bundy Ranch operation, including taking unsupervised video footage while there.

I mean, sure in theory you could defy the law, maybe get betrayed maybe not, but that's not even counting the constant extortion which comes with "illegal status" once the gun laws go into effect or even ten years after someone ran afoul of legally questionable laws and law enforcement methods, it's not like anyone in the power circles of a lot of the local patriot movement cliques is going out of their way to protect or facilitate your rights.

If you want to see how this goes, look at the Class III owner crowd and even shitheads like all those people associated with Red Jacket Firearms, with Will Hayden on one episode waving his reserve deputy badge making the threat to those who do what he does without proper licensing, and how a hell of a lot of those Class III dealers are the expert witnesses to testify against people who broke gun laws. We are not talking bank robbers and gangbangers who used illegal guns to facilitate crime, but people who broke gun laws. Common as dirt for those with gun privilege to buddy up with law enforcement agencies while blackmailing and extorting those in violation of the law, all at the same time having the reserved executive tables at the NRA benefit dinners. Heck, I have seen it myself.

Re: White House finalizing executive action on guns #158952
12/29/2015 02:41 PM
12/29/2015 02:41 PM
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
ConSigCor Offline OP
ConSigCor  Offline OP
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
New Ban Bill Hits Congress, Targets Semi-Automatic Rifles & Handguns: “To Ensure That The Right To Keep and Bear Arms Is NOT Unlimited”
It started with ammunition tax proposals

Mac Slavo | SHTFplan.com - December 28, 2015

In the wake of the Sandy Hook shootings we warned that sweeping changes were in the works for Americans’ right to bear arms.

It started with ammunition tax proposals, restrictions on firearm accessories imports and most recently Governors began bypassing Congress altogether by banning gun ownership for those on any of the government’s many watchlists. The Obama administration has also targeted licensed firearms sellers across the United States by forcing banks to treat them like pornography businesses and impeding their access to transaction processing systems and business banking accounts.

States like California already ban “assault weapons” and outlaw “high capacity” magazines that can hold more than ten rounds of ammunition. But the kinds of restrictive laws that strike at the very heart of the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution have thus far been limited to just a dozen or so heavily liberal states.

Until now.

While Americans anxiously prepared for their Christmas festivities, anti gun proponents in Congress were hard at work drafting a new bill. If passed H.R. 4269 would literally redefine the Second Amendment as evidenced by the bill’s description, which in no uncertain terms clarifies its ultimate goal:

“To regulate assault weapons, to ensure that the right to keep and bear arms is not unlimited, and for other purposes.”

The bill directly targets every semi-automatic firearm in the United States including handguns, shotguns and rifles. It specifically mentions certain firearms and manufacturers, including the popular AR-15 and AK-47 rifles.

Because the law is Federal it would blanket the country with new restrictions, including making it illegal to own any magazine that exceeds a capacity of ten (10) rounds.

And here’s the kicker, even if your weapon has a legally-defined low capacity detachable magazine but is modified with any of the following accessories, it is considered an “assault rifle” and would be outright banned in the United States.

Semiautomatic rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any 1 of the following:

“(i) A pistol grip.

“(ii) A forward grip.

“(iii) A folding, telescoping, or detachable stock.

“(v) A barrel shroud.

“(vi) A threaded barrel.

“(B) A semiautomatic rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, except for an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.

“(C) Any part, combination of parts, component, device, attachment, or accessory that is designed or functions to accelerate the rate of fire of a semiautomatic rifle but not convert the semiautomatic rifle into a machinegun.

Click for full text of bill

To be clear, the new bill puts all half measures aside and goes for the jugular.

This is the worst case scenario that many Americans have feared.

If you own a weapon on the ban list or have accessories as described by the bill, your firearm will be outlawed in the United States of America.

SEC. 3.RESTRICTIONS ON ASSAULT WEAPONS AND LARGE CAPACITY AMMUNITION FEEDING DEVICES

(a) In General.—Section 922 of title 18, United States Code, is amended—

(1) by inserting after subsection (u) the following:

“(v) (1) It shall be unlawful for a person to import, sell, manufacture, transfer, or possess, in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce, a semiautomatic assault weapon.

“(37) The term ‘large capacity ammunition feeding device’—

“(A) means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device, including any such device joined or coupled with another in any manner, that has an overall capacity of, or that can be readily restored, changed, or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition;

“(w) (1) It shall be unlawful for a person to import, sell, manufacture, transfer, or possess, in or affecting interstate or foreign commerce, a large capacity ammunition feeding device.

The bill was introduced in Congress on Decemeber 16, 2015 and currently has 123 co-sponsors – all democrats.

We know that gun bans don’t work but one can’t help but think the agenda goes much further than the notion that they want to make us safer. If that were the case then our lawmakers wouldn’t allow drug cartels, gang members and Islamic terrorists to cross into the U.S. through our porous southern border.

The reality is that a cloud of tyranny has descended upon America. For it to be successful the American people must first be disarmed.

As history has proven time and again, a disarmed populace can easily be led to slaughter. But unlike the tens of millions executed in ethnic, religious and political cleansings of the 20th century, Americans have a rich tradition of personal liberty and the right to bear arms. It is embedded in our culture and our founding document. And as Texas police chief Randy Kennedy recently warned, if the government pushes too far they may well incite a revolution.

Re: White House finalizing executive action on guns #158953
12/29/2015 03:25 PM
12/29/2015 03:25 PM
Trapped in Rhode Island
L
Lord Vader Offline
Lord Vader  Offline
L
Trapped in Rhode Island

And as Texas police chief Randy Kennedy recently warned, if the government pushes too far they may well incite a revolution.
I would change they may well incite a revolution to they WILL incite a revolution.

And we must fight this Revolution using every weapon we have access to.

Our Motto must be VINCE AUT MORIRE (Conquer or Die) or in other words Give Us Victory or Give Us Death.

VINCE AUT MORIRE (Conquer or Die)
Re: White House finalizing executive action on guns #158954
12/29/2015 09:49 PM
12/29/2015 09:49 PM
A 127 Btn 10 FF
L
Leo Offline
Leo  Offline
L
A 127 Btn 10 FF
Ok, I read about all I could on this new bill. Yeah, FUCK'em. Im not complying and I am saying this to you FEDS. Fuck you and come get'em. You will find that life is hard and even harder when your stupid. Oh, and are you stupid.

This is long overdue and I welcome the conflict with these tyrants. Not running the mouth, just stating the facts. Bring your shit on...

Fight the fight, Endure to win!
Re: White House finalizing executive action on guns #158955
12/30/2015 05:01 AM
12/30/2015 05:01 AM
Omaha Nebraska
Huskerpatriot Offline
Huskerpatriot  Offline
Omaha Nebraska
They need to read up on the terms and conditions of the "Hundred Heads Life and Casualty" policies most patriots hold.

Re: White House finalizing executive action on guns #158956
12/30/2015 05:48 AM
12/30/2015 05:48 AM
Western States
Breacher Offline
Breacher  Offline
Western States
Meanwhile, buy up AR lowers, AK recievers, AR10 lowers and lots of hicap mags.

GI mags are still dirt cheap, will be for a little while, but when magpul mags go from $15-$20 to $30-$40, the GI mags will go from $10 to $20 in a heartbeat and dollar for dollar, its less money for more mags which will last longer, just not as kewl.

If you want quality go for the lancers, the best of both worlds. Metal feed lips and polymer bodies, but they are costly buggers out of the starting gate.

Rifles which can still be available after any ban will have to look like Elmer Fudd stuff, which means variations of Keltec Su-16s, Mini-14s (ugh), and M1As.

There are people who manage to unfuck Mini-14s and come up with tolerable mags for them. In california some people in the 1990s had managed to be able to produce and install long heavy barrels for Mini-14s which put them on a par with the heavy barrel ARs when it came to outright accuracy, but the never solved that reliability problem with non-factory mags, and even with factory mags, they never seem to be 100%, just usable as highway patrol and prison guard rifles.

80% stuff will have more time, but might as well grab some 80% lowers when the prices are right, just understand they will probably be around a little while after a ban starts up.

We can also expect clandestine manufacture to start up on hicap mags after a ban, manufacturing technology, 3D printers, small workshops, they can produce stuff now which could not have been readily produced 25 years ago. That's especially the case with CNC lasers and plasma cutters.

The thing I saw in the text of the law about how they want to forbid transfer of high capacity feeding devices, that's a lockdown, but then maybe they are aware that it is going to be extremely difficult to enforce. What they are doing though is criminalizing the entire market, which means your discreet tradecraft game better be up and running if you want to handle business in that environment.

Remember guys, its up to US to make sure the gun ban won't work. No reason to tip the hand too much in the eve of their ability to react quickly with a rewrite, but we can monkeywrench it for a few years no doubt while people wake up and get their networks in place like they did in California.

Re: White House finalizing executive action on guns #158957
12/31/2015 05:18 AM
12/31/2015 05:18 AM
Tennessee
Hawk45 Offline
Moderator Officer Contributor
Hawk45  Offline
Moderator Officer Contributor
Tennessee
If folks follow their logical end of this BS then 'ANYTHING' sold between two people can be prohibited. Want to register anything you got for sale at a yard sale the wife is planning?

Re: White House finalizing executive action on guns #158958
01/04/2016 12:45 PM
01/04/2016 12:45 PM
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
ConSigCor Offline OP
ConSigCor  Offline OP
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC

WND Exclusive
Obama executive actions on guns coming Tuesday
President expected to create 'national registry' through back door

Leo Hohmann is a news editor for WND. He has been a reporter and editor at several suburban newspapers in the Atlanta and Charlotte, North Carolina, areas and also served as managing editor of Triangle Business Journal in Raleigh, North Carolina.

The White House announced it will unveil President Obama’s promised executive orders Tuesday morning on “common sense” gun control, but Second Amendment advocates and Republicans in Congress say “not so fast.”

They’re gearing up for a battle that will extend to the legislative branch and the courts.

Obama is expected to announce his unilateral plans to work around Congress to rein in gun sales and “make our communities safer,” according to a White House statement that appears to borrow the exact talking points of Michael Bloomberg’s Every Town For Gun Safety. He plans to deliver remarks at 11:40 a.m. EST Tuesday from the East Room. The president also plans to pitch his ideas at a nationally televised town hall Thursday with Anderson Cooper on CNN.

On Monday evening, the White House released a memo titled, “Promoting Smart Gun Technology.” The memo ordered the Department of Defense, the Department of Justice and the Department of Homeland Security to “conduct or sponsor research into gun safety technology that would reduce the frequency of accidental discharge or unauthorized use of firearms, and improve the tracing of lost or stolen guns.” The White House also instructed the departments to “explore potential ways to further [the technology's] use and development to more broadly improve gun safety.”

In the memo, Obama said he directed the Department of Justice in 2013 to review gun safety technologies “such as devices requiring a scan of the owner’s fingerprint before a gun can fire.”

The memo didn’t indicate whether Obama’s executive actions Tuesday will involve only smart-gun technologies or also expand requirements for background checks.

If Obama acts without Congress’ approval to expand background checks to person-to-person gun transfers among fellow gun enthusiasts, he will in effect be laying the foundation for a national gun registry, critics say. And they’re preparing to push back hard against any such measures.

“If you think Obama is going to stop now, you are badly mistaken. This is only the beginning,” Alan Gottlieb, executive vice president of the Second Amendment Foundation, told WND.

“President Obama is determined to take away our Second Amendment rights before he leaves office. He has made a public promise to enact his gun control agenda with or without Congress,” Gottlieb said. “Now it appears he is starting to make good on his promise through executive orders. This is a direct assault on our Second Amendment rights.”

Gottlieb said if Obama follows through with this assault, he should expect SAF and other groups to mount a vigorous legal challenge.

“We intend to bring a lawsuit against to the Obama administration if he follows through on his executive orders and regulations against our constitutional and civil rights,” Gottlieb said.

Rep. Dave Brat, R-Va., said Republicans in Congress will attempt to cut funding for any executive orders on gun control, but the legislative body has already given up much of its leverage by passing the omnibus budget bill just before Christmas.
Rep. Dave Brat, R-Va.

Rep. Dave Brat, R-Va.

“I hope we will (defund), but that’s been part of the problem. And we’ve funded the government through September, so again we’ve given up some of our leverage before we’ve ever been able to negotiate,” said Brat, who was one of the minority of Republicans who voted against omnibus.

Brat told WND he believes Obama may also be seeking to distract the American public from his failed foreign policy and slack national security policy in the wake of the Dec. 2 attack by two jihadists that killed 14 Americans in San Bernardino, California.

“That gun issue is a smoke screen for the most important issues right now, which are foreign policy, national security, refugees and the poor economic performance,” Brat told WND. “That’s what has the American people feeling so unsettled right now. So the president has managed to create a policy that eats up the headlines.”

Fox News’ Senior Judicial Analyst Andrew Napolitano told Neil Cavuto Monday that Obama’s executive actions will be “clearly unconstitutional” and will most likely be invalidated in the courts.

“The president is attempting to rewrite the law in a way that Congress has rejected,” Napolitano said.

That sets up a rematch of a battle between the administration and the National Rifle Association over the issue of expanded background checks.

Obama huddled Monday with his attorney general, Loretta Lynch, to discuss the pending executive action on guns. The most likely regulations, according to reports, are expanding background checks and also broadening the definition of what constitutes a firearms “dealer.”

Former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg has played an advisory role in Obama’s emerging executive orders.

“He personally met with the president and is working with him to get public support for his going around Congress to implement this plan of action against Second Amendment constitutional rights,” Gottlieb said.

Jerry Henry, president of GeorgiaCarry.org and an expert on firearms laws, said the so-called “gun show” loophole in the federal law requiring background checks is “non-existent.”

Any licensed dealer who sells at a gun show must conduct a background check on everyone he sells to, whether it’s at a gun show, in a store, in a private residence or on a street corner.

But many Americans buy or sell several guns per year as a hobby. Some of these person-to-person sales, known as “private sales,” are conducted at gun shows simply because this is where a lot of hobbyists find each other.

“If I’m walking down the aisle of a gun show and I’ve got a gun over my shoulder and someone says, ‘How much you want for that?,’ then I can sell it to him and that’s what’s known as a private sale. And no background check is required,” Henry said. “However, if I know that person to be a suspicious person and I sell him the gun anyway, I have just committed a felony.”

One of the possible ways around this “loophole” is to place a limit on the number of guns a person can sell privately before being considered a firearms dealer.

“They’ve been talking about trying to force people who sell five or more guns a year to become a federal firearms dealer,” Henry said. “Right now, if you’re not in the business of selling firearms, you don’t have to have a license. But if you are in it to make a living at it, then you have to have one. There is no specific number right now that triggers the need for a license.”

Henry said he believes the real reason behind such rules is to hassle law-abiding gun owners and allow the government to track the movement of all guns, creating in effect a national gun registry.

“Some just like to trade firearms. I know a guy who will get a gun and he’ll have it a month or three weeks and decide he didn’t really want it and he’ll trade it for something else. People like him would have to get a license,” Henry said.

Another option is to go the way of Washington state, which recently passed a voter-approved initiative requiring all transfers of guns, even loans of guns between family members, to trigger the need for a background check.

“Other than those two things, I don’t know what else he can do that would be even close to being legal, and I’m not sure he can do any of this with it being legal,” he added.

“What they are really aiming at doing, what they have really wanted over years and years is a national registry. And if they do get that, every gun that changes hands, you will have to register it, and you have what is known as a national gun registry, where the government knows where all the guns are,” Henry said.

From that point, the next step – confiscation – can easily be implemented at any time, either selectively against certain groups or wholesale.

Henry said this is the critical point that many Americans who support universal background checks don’t understand.

“If there should ever come to be a national registry, then that means the government would be able to walk into your house anytime they want to and check if you have guns that are not on their lists,” he said. “And if you do have one of those guns, you should be carted off to jail.”

“People will say, ‘I don’t see a problem with that.’ But they don’t stop to think, ‘If the government can come into my house to check to see if I have something not on that list, they then can come into your house and check, too,’” he said.

“That will basically be the end of what few civil rights we have left in this country.”

CNN is hosting a town hall on “gun violence” with Anderson Cooper and President Obama on Thursday night.

GOP presidential candidates react

Many of the GOP presidential candidates have come down forcefully against Obama’s looming executive orders on guns.

Cruz said President Obama thinks he can work around Congress because he’s got “a pen and a phone.”

“He can abuse his power all he wants,” Cruz said in a stump speech in Iowa Monday. “Well, if you live by the pen, you die by the pen. And my pen has got an eraser.”

Marco Rubio issued a similar ultimatum, saying he would undo any executive order restricting gun purchases “on my first day in office.”

Jeb Bush said said Obama’s “first impulse always is to take rights away from law-abiding citizens, and it’s wrong.”

Trump looking one step ahead

Donald Trump said he believed Obama’s executive actions were merely a starting point, not an end game, when it comes to guns.

“Pretty soon you won’t be able to get guns,” he told CNN’s Chris Cuomo. “It’s another step in the way of not getting guns.”

Trump suggested that the keys to blunting mass shootings are an increased focus on mental health – a focus on “the people that actually pull the trigger on the gun” – and a push to put those weapons in the hands of civilians.

“If the people in Paris had guns, you know what, you wouldn’t have had 134 people and many more to follow get killed,” he said. “And if people in California had guns, a couple of guns in that room, you wouldn’t have had 16 people killed.”

Trump also used the interview to slam areas where guns are prohibited or restricted, saying, “Whenever I see gun-free zone, that’s a flag for the wackos to come in and start shooting people.”

Henry said he expects the CNN town hall meeting to be largely a staged event meant to sway public opinion. Polls show the vast majority of Americans don’t want stiffer gun-control laws.

“I don’t guess you’ll see the list of Second Amendment supporters that will be asking questions of Barack Obama,” Henry said. “You can guess he is not. And if he is, his answer has been totally vetted. The answer will come up on the teleprompter.”

“One of the things that makes me feel kind of decent about this is he’s taking so long to do it, and that means he’s having trouble figuring out what he’s going to do and how he’s going to do it,” Henry said.

Paul Ryan calls plan ‘executive overreach’

Ryan issued a statement Monday saying Obama was subverting the Constitution and distracting attention from “radical Islamic terror.”

His statement read in part:

“We should also better enforce the laws we have on the books now to keep guns out of the hands of violent criminals. Instead, the president is again targeting law-abiding citizens, intruding further into innocent Americans’ lives. At a time when the country wants the president to lead the fight against radical Islamic terror, this is yet another attempt to divide and distract from his failed policies.

“While we don’t yet know the details of the plan, the president is at minimum subverting the legislative branch, and potentially overturning its will. His proposals to restrict gun rights were debated by the United States Senate, and they were rejected. No president should be able to reverse legislative failure by executive fiat, not even incrementally. The American people deserve a president who will respect their constitutional rights – all of them. This is a dangerous level of executive overreach, and the country will not stand for it.”

Re: White House finalizing executive action on guns #158959
01/04/2016 05:26 PM
01/04/2016 05:26 PM
West
Archangel1 Offline
Archangel1  Offline
West
Why does it look like a million man, armed with torches, rope and pitchforks, march on Washington may be the only way to turn this around?

"Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always Bad Men." Lord Actin 1887

I fear we live in evil times...
Re: White House finalizing executive action on guns #158960
01/05/2016 02:16 AM
01/05/2016 02:16 AM
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
ConSigCor Offline OP
ConSigCor  Offline OP
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
White House Will Require Background Checks at Gun Shows and Online

By Arlette Saenz

Jan 4, 2016

The White House announced new executive actions on gun control Monday, including a requirement for those "in the business of selling firearms" -- including online or at gun shows -- to register as a licensed gun dealer.

As a result of the move, the background checks would be required for individuals purchasing firearms in those ways. There is currently no licensing requirement for private sellers online or at gun shows, and only licensed dealers are required to conduct background checks on individuals.

"Just because you shop for guns with your mouse and not your feet doesn't mean you should be able to avoid background checks," White House Senior Advisor Valerie Jarrett said in a conference call Monday.

The new proposal aims to narrow the so-called gun show loophole and circumvents Congress, which has previously voted against initiatives to expand background checks. The new executive action clarifies the current rules by defining who qualifies as a gun dealer, but Attorney General Loretta Lynch was unable to provide an estimate for how many sellers would be impacted or how many additional background checks will now be conducted.

In addition to requiring background checks at gun shows and online, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives is finalizing a rule that will require individuals attempting to purchase firearms through a trust or corporation to undergo background checks. The FBI will also overhaul its background check system and add more than 230 additional examiners to process these background checks.

In addition, the White House is working to bolster mental health treatment by proposing a $500 million to increase access to mental health care, which will need Congressional approval, and wants to increase the use of mental health information in conducting background checks.

Attorney General Loretta Lynch has also written a letter asking states to update their criminal record files, which are used in background checks, to include information on people who are disqualified from purchasing weapons due to mental illness and domestic abuse. The Department of Health and Human Services is also finalizing a new rule that would remove legal barriers which prevent people from sharing information about individuals who have mental health issues that would prohibit them from buying weapons.

After a months-long review process conducted by the administration, the president is set to formally announce the executive actions Tuesday. He’ll continue his gun control push on Thursday when he participates in a live CNN town hall discussing the plans.

"These are not only recommendations that are well within my legal authority and the executive branch, but they’re also ones that the overwhelming majority of the American people including gun owners support and believe in,” the president said after meeting with Attorney General Loretta Lynch, FBI Director James Comey, and other law enforcement officials earlier in the day. He added the proposals are also “entirely consistent with the Second Amendment and people’s lawful right to bear arms.”

“This is not going to solve every violent crime in this country. It’s not going to prevent every mass shooting. It’s not going to keep every gun out of the hands of a criminal,” he said. “It will potentially save lives in this country and spare families the pain and the extraordinary loss that they’ve suffered as a consequence of a firearm being in the hands of wrong people.”

Re: White House finalizing executive action on guns #158961
01/05/2016 08:27 AM
01/05/2016 08:27 AM
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
ConSigCor Offline OP
ConSigCor  Offline OP
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
Loretta Lynch warns gun owners: We're watching you
'Looking for those individuals who seek to avoid registering'

Cheryl K. Chumley

U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch issued what Second Amendment supporters likely see as a dark warning about the White House’s looming executive order on guns, telling a group of reporters the federal government would be actively searching out those firearms’ owners who want to sidestep registration.

In her words, as reported by Breitbart: “We will be looking for those individuals who seek to avoid registering,” she said, after a meeting with President Obama about his upcoming executive orders on gun control.

Her statement was in reference to the widely reported portion of Obama’s executive order that’s supposed to expand the definition of “gun dealer” to include even those who make private, one-on-one transactions. Specifically, his order would then require anyone who’s “engaged in the business of dealing in firearms” to register as a dealer, and thus become subject to the background checks’ process, as Breitbart reported.

The order doesn’t make any exceptions based on the numbers of gun sales, and as Fox News legal analyst Andrew Napolitano pointed, that means even an individual selling one firearm to another individual would have to abide the mandate.

As such, Lynch vowed the feds, through her Department of Justice and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, would be on the watch for violators.

“[We'll watch for private sellers who] seek to avoid registering [as] engaged in the business of selling firearms,” she said, CBS News reported.

Lynch did say the order would include an exemption for “the hobbyist and collector” but that private sellers would no longer be able to “hide behind that [label],” CBS News reported.

Cheryl K. Chumley is a staff writer for WND and author of "Police State USA: How Orwell's Nightmare is Becoming our Reality." Formerly with the Washington Times, she is a journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation in Washington, D.C., where she spent a year researching and writing about private property rights.

Re: White House finalizing executive action on guns #158962
01/05/2016 10:56 AM
01/05/2016 10:56 AM
Tulsa
airforce Online content
Administrator
airforce  Online Content
Administrator
Tulsa
Rep. Justin Amash has the right idea. Lets close the loophole that allows the U.S. to sell guns to Syrian rebels.

So, the guy who sells guns from our government to radical Syrian rebels lectures law-abiding Americans about selling guns to each other.

— Justin Amash (@justinamash) January 5, 2016
Onward and upward,
airofrce

Re: White House finalizing executive action on guns #158963
01/06/2016 08:11 AM
01/06/2016 08:11 AM
Tulsa
airforce Online content
Administrator
airforce  Online Content
Administrator
Tulsa
[Linked Image]

Onward and upward,
airforce

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.