Print Thread
Media Vilifies Preppers As Selfish #172472
03/08/2020 10:30 AM
03/08/2020 10:30 AM
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
ConSigCor Online content OP
ConSigCor  Online Content OP
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC

Media Vilifies Preppers And Those Stocking Up As “Selfish Hoarders” As Potential Mass Quarantine Looms

Regardless of how the Covid-19 outbreak plays out in the United States, rest assured that those who prepared will be painted with a dark brush by the media

By Daisy Luther | The Organic Prepper blog Sunday, March 08, 2020

With the Covid19 virus popping up across the country, people who are preppers are adding a few last-minute things to their stockpiles.

Those who aren’t preppers are starting from scratch to get what they think they might need to handle a potential quarantine at home.

While most of the folks on this website would read this and think, “Of course they are” there are a few who think, “What a bunch of selfish people, hoarding supplies instead of only taking a little and leaving the rest for other people.” Often the people with this mindset are those “other people” who failed to prepare and who are upset that they missed their window of opportunity to get the necessary supplies.

But the media and government certainly aren’t helping paint those getting prepared in a good light with headlines about “panic buying” and “hoarding.”

Nick Begich joins The Alex Jones Show to break down the fallout of the coronavirus pandemic and it’s effect on the global supply chain.

An article on USA Today starts out:
Educate yourself further by tapping into the Infowars Store's vast collection of books and movies.

Keep calm and stop hoarding. The spread of coronavirus in the U.S. won’t wipe out our toilet paper supply. Or supplies of hand sanitizer, bottled water and ramen.

That is, unless the frenzied stampedes for hand sanitizer and bottled water continue at their current pace. (source)

The article goes on to use phrases like “impulsive buying binges,” “air of aggressive competition,” “stripping store shelves of toilet paper,” and “the crush of humanity” at Costco.

The entire article dismisses stocking up as ridiculous and even irresponsible, blaming shoppers for causing shortages.

Experts say not to worry and to stop “hoarding.”

The USA Today article blithely reports:

Supply chain experts say to stop worrying about hoarding basic necessities beyond having on hand the recommended 14-day emergency supply of food and necessities.

Perishable food such as fruits and vegetables are unlikely to be limited in the short term. Supplies of imported frozen meat and fish are more at risk but were already curbed by trade sanctions.

Packaged goods such as cereal and toothpaste and dry goods won’t be affected in the near term, either. For items that are now in shorter supply, such as hand sanitizer, plenty of substitutes exist such as soap. Some people are even making their own…

…Even with images of all those empty shelves flooding social media feeds, supply chain experts urged people to stop, well, freaking out.

“We don’t have a shortage of toilet paper in this country. We have plenty of toilet paper to go around,” said Per Hong, a senior partner in the strategic operations practice at Kearney, a global management consultancy. “Those supplies will be fully restocked and my ability to go to the store to get those supplies isn’t going to go away anytime soon.” (source)

I don’t know about you, but I certainly wouldn’t feel comfortable facing a possible lockdown like the one in China with only a 14 day supply of food and necessities. And if what’s happened in Italy is anything to go by, your ability to pop out to the store to get more toilet paper absolutely could go away sometime soon.

An article on Los Angeles News Today continues in the same vein with its own experts chiming in.

Los Angeles County health director Dr. Barbara Ferrer said residents should be prepared just as they should always be for a natural disaster or other emergency.

“That means having some water in your house and some food and your medications that last for a few days,” Ferrer said. “You don’t need to rush out and buy out weeks and weeks worth of supplies, but you (do) need to have what we always ask you to have — enough supplies in your house to get through a few days.” (source)

So according to them, you only need to be prepared for a few days. No biggie.

Stocking up is occurring around the world.

Wise people around the world are gathering up supplies. According to the Nielsen consumer market research agency, the spread of the coronavirus has folks everywhere “actively stockpiling emergency supplies.”

“They’re also starting to think beyond emergency items, such as basic foodstuffs, including canned goods, flour, sugar and bottled water,” according to Nielsen. “Concerns are having a ripple effect into non-food essentials as well. In the U.S., sales of supplements, fruit snacks and first aid kits, for example, are all on the rise.”

The agency noted “significant spikes” in hoarding of emergency supplies in China, the United States and Italy, “where consumers are rushing to build what are being labeled ‘pandemic pantries.”(source)

Of course, what they call hoarding, I’d call preparing for the worst.

Did you notice a word being repeatedly used?

The word “hoarding” is being repeatedly used throughout news reports. They’re already working to paint preppers as bad and selfish people. They’re already vilifying those who hurry out to fill any gaps in their supplies. They’re making it seem like a mental illness to get prepared for what could potentially be a long stretch of time at home with only the supplies you have on hand.

This is a frequent trick of propagandists everywhere. Repeat a word often enough and suddenly everyone begins using it. Everyone begins to believe that the people labeled with an ugly word are terrible, selfish, and threats to decency.

A friend of mine wrote about an article she had read:

There’s a single quote that sticks out to me:

“The government ended up subsidizing masks so that every family could have them after people decided to hoard them like they were bottled water in a storm.”

Do you see what happened there? Those who prepared ahead of time are being vilified. This theme is being repeated over and over again if you start reading what the experts are writing. History tells us that those who are prepared are either hailed the heroes (when they have enough for everyone) or the villains (when they have enough for themselves).

This is a recurring theme. Those who prepare are demonized while those who do not are portrayed as victims of the “hoarders.”

Keep listening because you’re going to hear words like “hoarding” and “selfish” a lot more often as this situation continues to evolve.

State governments and the CDC are at odds

State health officials in places like Hawaii and Minnesota have recommended that residents get prepared for what could be a bumpy ride. Residents of those states are paying attention and stocking up.

The CDC (irresponsibly) couldn’t disagree more. (You know, the same CDC that’s been sending out a faulty Covid19 test all this time.) They are literally telling people not to stock up.

CDC Director Robert Redfield on Thursday told a U.S. congressional hearing that there was no need for healthy Americans to stock up on any supplies.

“We should have one unified message,” said Robyn Gershon, a clinical professor of epidemiology at New York University. “When there’s an absence of a good, strong and reassuring official voice, people will get more upset and start doing this magical thinking.” (source)

There, there. Don’t worry. The government will save you. Go order a pizza and don’t worry your silly little head about some virus.

Many see preparation as selfishness.

I’ve gotten comments on my own website and also in the group that I run on Facebook that preparedness is a “selfish” endeavor. And it’s always in the comments that you find out how people really feel, often using MSM talking points as their guides.

There was this rather naive comment on a mainstream article.

The thing I have with INDIVIDUAL preppers is that why not leave it in the store? Why don’t people see the grocery store as a prepper’s storage unit?

Prepping is inherently selfish IMO. (source)

Someone who is no longer in my Facebook group told us.

You people are part of the problem. You go out and hoard things when it wouldn’t hurt you to leave some stuff on the shelf for other people. If there aren’t enough supplies for everyone, it is selfish for you to only think of your family. What about everyone else’s family? Oh right, you only care about yourself.

A commenter on my own website said:

What a bunch of selfish jerks you all are. You don’t need 10 packages of toilet paper at a time. What about the other people who can’t afford ten packs of toilet paper?

The author of an article about being in quarantine finds those stocking up to be selfish too, which is kind of mind-boggling when you not this author is in the position in which we all worry about finding ourselves.

I was sorely disappointed by the amount of items that were out of stock after Singaporeans rushed to buy a whole plethora of goods (including instant noodles and toilet paper) when DORSCON Orange happened.

Given such uncertain times, I can empathise with the panic. But I couldn’t help but feel that this hoarding mentality is really selfish.

Because this means that a good portion of people–those on their weekly grocery runs or others like myself looking to get groceries delivered as I am unable to leave the house–cannot get their hands on essentials. (source)

Watch closely. You will see the word “selfish” getting thrown around right up there with “hoarding.”

These people are wrong.

Currently, thousands of people in the United States are spending weeks at home under self-quarantine. I’ll bet if you asked them, there are probably all sorts of things they wish they had on hand right now, and this is even with the ability to order things that can be delivered to their doorsteps. What would happen if all of us within a region faced the type of lockdown happening in northern Italy where there are potential criminal penalties for being out unnecessarily? Wouldn’t you then wish you had made that last-minute run to the store?

Stocking up is the responsible thing to do. It means that your family will not be dependent on government services. It means that nobody has to run out in the middle of a pandemic because there’s not any Tylenol and somebody has a fever. It means you don’t have to risk infection in order to have food for your children.

Stocking up to care for yourself means that you won’t be a drain on those limited government resources being dispensed and there will be more for people who did not prepare. It means you don’t need to order deliveries, causing some other person to risk their own health bringing supplies to you after things get bad.

Stocking up is practical. Whether you’ve done it over a period of years, as most of us have, or whether you’re topping up now (which I’m doing since I’ve been traveling for quite some time and I want to make sure my daughter’s place is well-supplied), taking the steps you need to be prepared is the height of personal responsibility.

There’s one really good mainstream article on Scientific American that talks about the wisdom of stocking up. Aside from that, the mainstream is studded with the usual mockery toward the self-reliant.

Panic buying vs. Prepping

Some folks have noted that what is going on right now as shelves get emptied across the country is not prepping – it’s panic buying. While there’s a little bit of truth to that, I’d still rather see people in the stores getting what they need than waiting for a handout.

Over the past couple of weeks, I’ve hit the stores myself to replenish a stockpile that my youngest daughter has been using. I’m certainly not panicking but I’d be a fool not to fill in some gaps.

Whether you’ve had your supplies sitting there for a year or you just picked them up over the previous week, I commend you for making the effort to get prepared for what could possibly be a lengthy period of quarantine.

Is it better to do this far in advance? Sure. Is it better to do this at the last minute than not at all? Also, sure. For those who have waited longer than might be ideal, check out this guide for panic preppers and this guide that offers substitutes when the merchandise at the store is picked over.

The media will try to make us look bad…again.

Regardless of how the Covid-19 outbreak plays out in the United States, rest assured that those who prepared will be painted with a dark brush by the media. This is one of those situations in which OpSec is of primary importance. You don’t want your unprepared neighbor to know you’re doing just fine with your canned goods and dried fruit after they failed to go to the store.

Our first responsibility is always, without fail, to our own families.

Don’t let the mainstream media try and tell you otherwise.

"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861
Re: Media Vilifies Preppers As Selfish [Re: ConSigCor] #172473
03/08/2020 01:00 PM
03/08/2020 01:00 PM
Tulsa
airforce Offline
Administrator
airforce  Offline
Administrator
Tulsa
Of course they would. They hate anyone who has the temerity to think he knows what's best for him, even better than the government does.

Amazon doesn't want to be accused of price gouging, so Amazon will quit selling medical supplies for coronavirus. Yes, that will keep the death toll down. mad

I've written about "price gouging" before. In short, increasing prices discourage hoarding and, at the same time, encourages the growth of production and supply. High prices are a good thing, because they ensure that supplies will be made available where they are needed. And, as supplies grow, prices won't remain high for long.

it's simple,basic economics, that should be taught in grade school. But unfortunately isn't.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Last edited by airforce; 03/08/2020 02:57 PM.
Re: Media Vilifies Preppers As Selfish [Re: ConSigCor] #172475
03/08/2020 01:13 PM
03/08/2020 01:13 PM
Tennessee
Hawk45 Offline
Moderator Officer Contributor
Hawk45  Offline
Tennessee
This is not new. Preppers have been vilified since 1975 when I first got in to it. When Mel Tappan first wrote "Survival Guns" back in the early 70's the so called main stream media attacked it and us. They were attacking preppers the same way they did 'Militia'.

New day, same song from those that do not have the sense to prepare for themselves. Remember children the "Government is good and will take care of you."! You know like they did for the Indians...........

Re: Media Vilifies Preppers As Selfish [Re: ConSigCor] #172477
03/08/2020 03:48 PM
03/08/2020 03:48 PM
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
Youall know how this will go...

When the vast hordes of unprepared rush wally worl and can't get what they want, they'll blame their lack of preparation on those greedy survivalist kooks. And, they'll probably demand the government do something about it.

"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861
Re: Media Vilifies Preppers As Selfish [Re: ConSigCor] #172672
03/27/2020 01:45 AM
03/27/2020 01:45 AM
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
Take the time to watch this.

Empty Shelves, Panic, Hoarding

https://youtu.be/9dPjvcqtlzc

Re: Media Vilifies Preppers As Selfish [Re: ConSigCor] #172673
03/27/2020 09:13 AM
03/27/2020 09:13 AM
Tulsa
airforce Offline
Administrator
airforce  Offline
Administrator
Tulsa
1. "Panic buying" and "prepping" are two different things.

2. No government can repeal the Law of Supply and Demand. They all try, and they all fail. If you want to solve the problem of empty shelves and shortages, repeal all those stupid price gouging laws.

Yes, I've seen idiots grabbing cartloads of toilet paper at Walmart. Honestly, I thought it was funny, I wasn't angry about it at all. What would happen if Walmart was allowed to raise the prices of toilet paper? People who really needed toilet paper could still find it on the shelf, and all those panic buyers, faced with higher prices, would be less inclined to load up their cart with the suddenly expensive rolls. At the same time, manufacturers - taking advantage of the higher prices - would increase production and ship more toilet paper to the stores, driving prices back down.

It's just basic economics. They should be teaching this stuff in schools, but they don't.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Media Vilifies Preppers As Selfish [Re: ConSigCor] #172674
03/27/2020 09:52 AM
03/27/2020 09:52 AM
Omaha Nebraska
Huskerpatriot Offline
Huskerpatriot  Offline
Omaha Nebraska
I had a very terse “conversation” with a friend about his rant against hoarders and prepper being selfish.

Words have meanings. Because I have a lot of supplies (my hoard) which was built up over time and constantly rotated, it does not mean that I am on any level like the guy who at the 12th hour was filling up multiple carts at the store emptying shelves. People I know have always smirked and rolled their eyes at my “hoard”. Now I’m the villain? If anything, the fact that my family is NOT making out normal purchases is helping. Furthermore over the years as we built up our “hoard” we were buying more than we needed, inflating the demand for those products, leading to an increased incentive for those businesses to produce more...

"Government at its best is a necessary evil, and at it�s worst, an intolerable one."
 Thomas Paine (from "Common Sense" 1776)
Re: Media Vilifies Preppers As Selfish [Re: ConSigCor] #172696
03/29/2020 03:33 PM
03/29/2020 03:33 PM
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
This is the very reason you should continue to stock up and "hoard" all the food you can. Every day we hear the news tell us there's plenty of food for everyone. Don't panic. Then when you go to the store, you see entire shelves that are empty and signs everywhere saying "limit one per customer". If you ask a store clerk when they'll have something back in stock, you're told "We don't know...We're having problems getting resupplied etc. No matter what they call it, this is rationing. Fact, they don't have enough for everyone. How's that just in time delivery working out for you now?

Covid-19 Crisis Could Trigger Global Food Shortage, UN Warns

'Coronavirus is affecting the labour force and the logistical problems are becoming very important'
\
By RT Sunday, March 29, 2020

If the Covid-19 infection does not get you thanks to government prevention measures, the downside is that these steps may deprive you of fresh food, including fruit and vegetables.

While people rushed to stock up on toilet paper and other supplies as the coronavirus crisis escalated, some countries decided to enforce protectionist measures, including export bans for certain products, to satisfy growing domestic demand.

“The worst that can happen is that governments restrict the flow of food,” Maximo Torero, chief economist of the UN Food and Agriculture Organization, told the Guardian, adding that we may face the consequences of these steps soon.

For example, Russia halted exports of buckwheat and other grains for 10 days starting from March 20. Neighboring Kazakhstan followed suit and introduced restrictions on shipments of wheat flour, buckwheat, sugar, several types of vegetables, and sunflower oil.

The UN official warns that protectionist measures and trade barriers only make the situation worse, creating “extreme volatility.”

Another problem is that some countries now lack the workforce to harvest the crops due in part to border closures and domestic lockdowns. As the coronavirus sweeps through Europe, farmers in France, Spain, and Italy complain that fruits and vegetables are quickly ripening and will be left to rot if the situation does not change, according to Bloomberg. Strawberry and asparagus growers are already unable to pick their crops, while everything from salad greens and tomatoes, to onions and peas could be next in line.

“Coronavirus is affecting the labour force and the logistical problems are becoming very important,” Torero said as cited by the Guardian. He added that special policies should be introduced to keep the food supply chain operating.

In order to not waste tons of harvest, Germany, which lacks around 300,000 workers, has created a special website to bring together struggling farmers and those who can help. Students and those forced to quit their jobs, for example in the service sector, are welcome to join the initiative. A similar platform was reportedly launched in Austria.

Average citizens themselves are contributing to the looming shortages by hoarding food in amounts they can’t even eat before it expires. Panic buying only deepens the crisis, the UN Food and Agriculture Organization said, advising people to avoid wasting food.

Re: Media Vilifies Preppers As Selfish [Re: ConSigCor] #172697
03/29/2020 04:13 PM
03/29/2020 04:13 PM
Tulsa
airforce Offline
Administrator
airforce  Offline
Administrator
Tulsa
I've heard people say that closing the borders may cause food shortages here, simply because there will be fewer farm workers. I'm not sure I believe that, but it's something to keep in mind. What is likely to cause temporary shortages is the disruption in the trucking industry. I've seen some shortages in some canned goods, and things like baking yeast. I'm not sure what could be causing it, but I suspect trucking schedules are disrupted.

Seen on Facebook. This pretty much sums it up:

[Linked Image]

Onward and upward,
airforce

Last edited by airforce; 03/29/2020 04:21 PM.
Re: Media Vilifies Preppers As Selfish [Re: ConSigCor] #172698
03/29/2020 04:40 PM
03/29/2020 04:40 PM
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
There are a lot of shortages flying under the radar.

Went to the local hardware store to buy a ground rod, hinges and fuel stabil. They were sold out and didn't know when their distributor would be sending anything. Said they were having trouble getting deliveries from the warehouse. went to another store...same thing.

Stopped at the feed store and there were plenty of seeds but they've had a hefty price increase. Said their distributor told them more price increases were on the way and that some items would be difficult to find or not available in the near future.

As a general rule I only go to town about twice a month. And I always stock up while there. If I need a couple of cans of beans, I grab a couple of cases. That way when I need a can I don't have to panic and run to town. Grandma always said; "You never know when hard times will come again, so it pays to be ready". She drilled that into my head and I never forgot it.

Re: Media Vilifies Preppers As Selfish [Re: ConSigCor] #172701
03/29/2020 07:16 PM
03/29/2020 07:16 PM
Tulsa
airforce Offline
Administrator
airforce  Offline
Administrator
Tulsa
Originally Posted by ConSigCor
...Grandma always said; "You never know when hard times will come again, so it pays to be ready". She drilled that into my head and I never forgot it.

My parents lived through the Great Depression, and my great grandmother lived through more depressions and "panics" than she could count (as well as the Spanish Flu epidemic). We were far from wealthy, but we always had a full pantry. One of my earliest memories was helping my mother and great grandmother can green beans. I was only about three or so, so I doubt I was really that much help, but I still remember it.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Media Vilifies Preppers As Selfish [Re: ConSigCor] #172706
03/30/2020 08:20 AM
03/30/2020 08:20 AM
Tennessee
Hawk45 Offline
Hawk45  Offline
Tennessee
What is funny is the amount of my wife's friends want her to teach them how to can stuff. They know she either cans or freezes everything. Unfortunately there is no crops being harvested now to can.

I told the wife to have them come over when we are canning green beans. They can snap them as part of their learning! LOL

Re: Media Vilifies Preppers As Selfish [Re: ConSigCor] #172725
03/31/2020 10:13 AM
03/31/2020 10:13 AM
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
Supplies Are Starting To Get Really Tight Nationwide As Food Distribution Systems Break Down
We have reached a major turning point in our history, and things are only going to get crazier

By Michael Snyder | End Of The American Dream Tuesday, March 31, 2020

All across America, store shelves are emptying and people are becoming increasingly frustrated because they can’t get their hands on needed supplies.

Most Americans are blaming “hoarders” for the current mess, but it is actually much more complicated than that.

Normally, Americans get a lot of their food from restaurants. In fact, during normal times 36 percent of all Americans eat at a fast food restaurant on any given day.

But now that approximately 75 percent of the U.S. is under some sort of a “shelter-in-place” order and most of our restaurants have shut down, things have completely changed.

In this pandemic that is effecting the world, Americans, businesses and people from around the world are stepping up, giving their time and providing innovative solutions to help in the fight against the corona-virus

Suddenly our grocery stores are being flooded with unexpected traffic, and many people are buying far more than usual in anticipation of a long pandemic.

Unfortunately, our food distribution systems were not designed to handle this sort of a surge, and things are really starting to get crazy out there.

I would like to share with you an excerpt from an email that I was sent recently. It describes the chaos that grocery stores in Utah and Idaho have been experiencing…

When this virus became a problem that we as a nation could see as an imminent threat, Utah, because of its culture of food storage and preparing for disaster events seemed to “get the memo” first. The week of March 8th grocery sales more than doubled in Utah, up 218%. Many states stayed the same with increases in some. Idaho seemed to “get the memo” about four days later. We were out of water and TP four days after Utah. Then we were out of food staples about four days later. Next was produce following a pattern set by Utah four days earlier.

The problem for us in Idaho was this. The stores in Utah were emptied out then refilled twice by the warehouses before it hit Idaho. Many of these Utah stores have trucks delivering daily. So when it did hit Idaho the warehouses had been severely taxed. We had a hard time filling our store back up even one time. We missed three scheduled trucks that week alone. Then orders finally came they were first 50% of the order and have dropped to 20%. In normal circumstances we receive 98% of our orders and no canceled trucks. Now three weeks later, the warehouses in the Western United States have all been taxed. In turn, those warehouses have been taxing the food manufacturers. These food companies have emptied their facilities to fill the warehouses of the Western United States. The East Coast hasn’t seemed to “get the memo” yet. When they do what food will be left to fill their warehouses and grocery stores?

Food distribution and resources for the Eastern United States will be at great peril even if no hoarding there takes place. But of course it will.

Additionally the food culture of the East Coast and other urban areas is such that people keep very little food on hand. They often shop several times weekly for items if they cook at home. They don’t have big freezers full of meat, home canned vegetables in their storage rooms, gardens, or beans, wheat, and rice in buckets in the their basements.

With most of the country locked down, normal economic activity has come to a standstill, and it is going to become increasingly difficult for our warehouses to meet the demand that grocery stores are putting on them.

Meanwhile, our farmers are facing severe problems of their own. The following comes from CNBC…

The U.S.-China trade war sent scores of farmers out of business. Record flooding inundated farmland and destroyed harvests. And a blistering heat wave stunted crop growth in the Midwest.

Now, the coronavirus pandemic has dealt another blow to a vulnerable farm economy, sending crop and livestock prices tumbling and raising concerns about sudden labor shortages.

The chaos in the financial markets is likely to continue for the foreseeable future, and it is going to remain difficult for farm laborers to move around as long as “shelter-in-place” orders remain in effect on the state level.

Iowa farmer Robb Ewoldt told reporter Emma Newburger that “we’ve stopped saying it can’t get worse”, and he says that this coronavirus pandemic looks like it could be “the straw that broke the camel’s back”…

“We were already under extreme financial pressure. With the virus sending the prices down — it’s getting to be the straw that broke the camel’s back,” said Iowa farmer Robb Ewoldt.

“We were hoping for something good this year, but this virus has stopped all our markets,” he said.

Of course this comes at a time when millions of Americans are losing their jobs and unemployment is shooting up to unthinkable levels. Without any money coming in, many people are already turning to alternative sources of help in order to feed themselves and their families.

On Monday, hundreds of cars were lined up to get food from a food bank in Duquesne, Pennsylvania. To many, this was eerily reminiscent of the “bread lines” during the Great Depression of the 1930s.

Hundreds of cars wait to receive food from the Greater Community Food Bank in Duquesne. Collection begins at noon. @PghFoodBank @PittsburghPG pic.twitter.com/94YFaO7dqX

— Andrew Rush (@andrewrush) March 30, 2020

And it is also being reported that the number of people coming for free meals on Skid Row in Los Angeles has tripled since that city was locked down.

Sadly, these examples are likely only the tip of the iceberg of what we will see in the months ahead.

And it won’t just be the U.S. that is hurting. The following comes from a Guardian article entitled “Coronavirus measures could cause global food shortage, UN warns”…

Kazakhstan, for instance, according to a report from Bloomberg, has banned exports of wheat flour, of which it is one of the world’s biggest sources, as well as restrictions on buckwheat and vegetables including onions, carrots and potatoes. Vietnam, the world’s third biggest rice exporter, has temporarily suspended rice export contracts. Russia, the world’s biggest wheat exporter, may also threaten to restrict exports, as it has done before, and the position of the US is in doubt given Donald Trump’s eagerness for a trade war in other commodities.

If this pandemic stretches on for an extended period of time, food supplies are inevitably going to get even tighter.

So what can you do?

Well, perhaps you can start a garden this year if you don’t normally grow one. Apparently this pandemic has sparked a tremendous amount of interest in gardening programs around the country…

Because of the coronavirus pandemic, more people are showing an interest in starting home gardens. Oregon State University‘s (OSU) Master Gardener program took notice of the growing interest.

To help citizens who want to grow their own food, the university kindly made their online vegetable gardening course free until the end of April. OSU’s post on Facebook has been shared over 21,000 times.

Food is only going to get more expensive from here on out, and growing your own food is a way to become more independent of the system.

But if you don’t have any seeds right now, you may want to hurry, because consumer demand is spiking…

“It’s the largest volume of orders we have seen,” said Jere Gettle of Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds in Mansfield, Missouri. Peak seed-buying season for home gardeners is January to March, but the normal end-of-season decline in orders isn’t happening.

Customers are gravitating to vegetables high in nutrients, such as kale, spinach and other quick-to-grow leafy greens. “Spinach is off the charts,” said Jo-Anne van den Berg-Ohms of Kitchen Garden Seeds in Bantam, Connecticut.

For years, I have been warning people to get prepared for “the perfect storm” that was coming, but of course most people didn’t listen.

But now it is upon us.

Desperate people have been running out to the grocery stores to stock up on toilet paper only to find that they are limited to one or two packages if it is even available.

And now that “panic buying” of seeds has begun, it is probably only a matter of time before many stores start running out.

We have reached a major turning point in our history, and things are only going to get crazier.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of Americans still have absolutely no idea what is ahead of us…

Re: Media Vilifies Preppers As Selfish [Re: ConSigCor] #172727
03/31/2020 02:50 PM
03/31/2020 02:50 PM
Tempstar Offline
Tempstar  Offline
Oh this hits home. Conversation yesterday from a co-worker:
Co-worker- " If things get really bad I'll just head over to Tempstar's house and take his stuff"
Tempstar- "Try it and I will shoot you down, Clorox the bloodstains and feed your carcass to the dogs"
Co-worker- Strange blank stare

I have received MRE's and shooting supplies at work over the years so they don't have to sit on the doorstep at home. I guess this asshole noticed.
All of the people I care about , very few, I have tried to wake up to this kind of problem being imminent, none have listened. I probably will be okay as I will eat things few others will. I am confident in my preps but by nature of being a prepper, always feel I should have more.

When the moronic masses get hungry, it'll be on like donkey kong across the US. Hunger is a great motivator.

Re: Media Vilifies Preppers As Selfish [Re: ConSigCor] #172732
03/31/2020 11:16 PM
03/31/2020 11:16 PM
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
All of the people I care about , very few, I have tried to wake up to this kind of problem being imminent, none have listened.

This seems to be a common problem.

I warned people for years to prepare for hard times. Warned people I knew back in Jan that this virus would spread globally and that they should stock up while they could. All laughed and said it was just a hoax or that it would never happen here. Now, these same folks are pissed off and don't want to hear I told you so when they call me bitching because they're out of TP and can't find any at the store. I laugh my ass off at them all.

Re: Media Vilifies Preppers As Selfish [Re: ConSigCor] #172739
04/01/2020 03:26 PM
04/01/2020 03:26 PM
Omaha Nebraska
Huskerpatriot Offline
Huskerpatriot  Offline
Omaha Nebraska
I expanded my garden, and will be able to use the garden seeder for planting some crops. Poop hits the fan, I don’t want to be “figuring things out” on a learning curve. I’d rather be “ramping up production” to a new scale. I have learned how to save carrot seeds (2 year cycle), and now have enough seeds to plant several acres!

"Government at its best is a necessary evil, and at it�s worst, an intolerable one."
Re: Media Vilifies Preppers As Selfish [Re: ConSigCor] #172740
04/01/2020 03:55 PM
04/01/2020 03:55 PM
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
Good for you.

I'm replenishing all my seeds now. Rumor at the local feed store is that they will be in short supply soon. Gardens are plowed and about ready. Hopefully the weather breaks in a few days. I'd like to get on with the program within a couple of weeks. got to build some fence to keep the rabbits and deer at bay. Last year they eat more of the garden than I did.

Re: Media Vilifies Preppers As Selfish [Re: ConSigCor] #172744
04/01/2020 05:00 PM
04/01/2020 05:00 PM
Omaha Nebraska
Huskerpatriot Offline
Huskerpatriot  Offline
Omaha Nebraska
I have been growing multiple varieties of carrots that I like (and grow well in my area/soil) and keeping 1-2 of each variety to pollinate the next year. I’m on my 4th generation now of this. Just one plane makes thousands of seeds! Even 4 year old seed still germinates amazingly well. SHTF, and this stock of home grown seeds will be extremely valuable.

I should probably stock up on other seeds. I know a lot of people expanding or starting gardens. If they were producing seeds for a “normal year”, they will no doubt run out.

Re: Media Vilifies Preppers As Selfish [Re: ConSigCor] #172745
04/01/2020 05:05 PM
04/01/2020 05:05 PM
Tulsa
airforce Offline
Administrator
airforce  Offline
Administrator
Tulsa
If you can find a way to keep rabbits out of a garden, you're way more successful than I've ever been. God, in His wisdom, made way more rabbits than there are snares.

How to plant a victory garden for a family of five.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Media Vilifies Preppers As Selfish [Re: ConSigCor] #172746
04/01/2020 05:15 PM
04/01/2020 05:15 PM
Omaha Nebraska
Huskerpatriot Offline
Huskerpatriot  Offline
Omaha Nebraska
I have a very small suburban garden. Simple 1 1/2’ chicken fence attached to the boarder board of the bed is sufficient. There are other more succulent treats that are easier for them to access.

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.