07/31/2021 07:45 PM
07/31/2021 07:45 PM
Saint Louis, Missouri, USA
N
Navarro Offline OP
Navarro  Offline OP
N
“The YouGov survey for George Washington University found that 47% of Republicans surveyed agreed with the statement there will be a time coming when 'patriotic Americans have to take the law into their own hands.' Just 9% of Democrats agreed ... More than half of Republicans - 55% - also supported the use of force to 'preserve the traditional American way of life. Just 15% of Democrats supported the use of force to preserve the nation's values.”
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-patriotic-Americans-soon-law-hands.html

If accurate, about a quarter of Americans believe Patriots will need to “take the law into their own hands” and also support the use of force to preserve the nations values, in theory. That’s comparable to American revolutionary times, when it’s estimated that a third of Americans supported the revolution. What percentage of modern Americans would actually support these concepts if Patriots in fact rose up en masse to take the law into their own hands and were using force to preserve the American way, is unclear. However, there did seemed to be a fair amount of support on the right for Kyle Rittenhouse and the January 6th Protesters, which is a positive indicator. The percentage of theoretical support does appear large enough that the more crucial question may not be how much support Patriots would have in such circumstances, but instead what circumstances must occur to rally the Patriot to active resistance in the first place.

I’m also interested in the 9% and 15% of Democrats who support those concepts, versus the 47% and 55% of Republicans who support the same concepts. I wonder if that’s an indication of Democrats and Republicans who would support combatants on their respective sides. Could be left-wing combatants would enjoy substantially less public support than would their right-wing opponents, though left-wing combatants would very likely have the support of the government and its forces in a conflict with the right. The notion of lesser support for left-wing combatants among Democrats compared to Republican support for right-wing combatants seems realistic as several factors exist which could contribute to such a phenomenon. The right are more unified in similarity overall, to include with regard to the ideology. The left are composed of a series of almost tacit alliances, such as union laborers who vote Democrat in an effort to preserve the state of their employment, or Latinos who desire the path to citizenship and other amenities the Democrats offer them as well as their illegal family members, yet these groups may otherwise be more Conservative in their values than Progressive. Additionally, the activities of such entities as BLM and ANTIFA may have eroded the support many Democrats have for left-wing combatants. They were held captive in the streets, harassed and had their local businesses looted and burned too. I’m fact, Democrats likely suffered at the hands of left-wing extremist groups the most, given that these activities were concentrated in Democrat strongholds. Indeed, it appears probable that Republicans are more likely to support their right-wing Patriots than would Democrats support their left-wing extremists in a conflict.

Liberty and Prosperity, by Right or Might
Re: 47% of GOP Believe Patriots Will Have to Take Law Into Own Hands [Re: Navarro] #176297
08/01/2021 03:16 PM
08/01/2021 03:16 PM
Tulsa
airforce Offline
Administrator
airforce  Offline
Administrator
Tulsa
And with the greatest gun salesman in history as President, well...

I notice they didn't ask Libertarians that question.

We're in the middle of a long war with the State. A new essay by Ryan McMaken at the Mises Institute. Long, but well worth a read.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Last edited by airforce; 08/01/2021 03:20 PM.
Re: 47% of GOP Believe Patriots Will Have to Take Law Into Own Hands [Re: airforce] #176298
08/01/2021 06:41 PM
08/01/2021 06:41 PM
N
Navarro Offline OP
Navarro  Offline OP
N
Originally Posted by airforce
I notice they didn't ask Libertarians that question.

I’m not sure how useful that information would have been, given how few identify as Libertarian, and given how, like the DNC, the LP is composed of tacit alliances with often incompatible overall ideologies. I’m glad to see that you too are a student of Mises though. Unfortunate that LP leadership now appears corrupted and dominated by left-Libertarians who advocate for left-wing extremist groups like BLM and ANTIFA, and who otherwise seem far more like Democrats than Libertarians. I suppose the LP is going the same way the red-flag law supporting NRA has. Tragic.

Liberty and Prosperity, by Right or Might

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.