This guy certainly sounds dangerous, and I hope they find him soon. But my question is, just what is a "self-taught survivalist?"

Anyone can read some book on "survival," or even watch a few videos, and call himself a "survivalist" or even a "prepper." But unless you've actually practiced those skills, you don't know crap. I can tell you how to start a fire, build a figure-four trap, or catch a fish without a rod and reel. But until you've actually tried (and failed) several times, you won't know how to do it. If all you've done is put on some cammies and spend a night in the woods, you ain't a "survivalist." If all you have are some matches and a few cans of Dinty Moore Beef Stew in the cupboard, you're not a "prepper."

And like shooting, those skills don't last forever. It takes practice to keep your skills current. Just because you passed a qualification five years ago doesn't mean you can do the same thing now.

It's going to be interesting to see just what skills this fellow has. My guess is, not many.

I know, I've said this many times, but it's worth repeating.

Onward and upward,
airforce