I recently had the good fortune to attend an informal seminar put on by Joe "brokenfeather" Darrah. He started out explaining different types of knives, different ways to throw, basic safety rules and then proceeded to wow everyone by using butter knives he bought at a local flea market for 10-25 cents a piece and throwing them into wood targets. Mr. Darrah then demonstrated various knives he bought, made himself, or modified and showed various techniques.

Next were tomahawks which is what I came for. He had several he demonstrated and showed some of the "games" that are played at events. Standing about 15' back and throwing a tomahawk into a playing card and slicing it diagonally was sure impressive!

Mr. Darrah was very patient with everyone and helpful. He even spent time with my 6 yr old boy teaching him and gave him a tiny set of tomahawks and some of the butter knives. Which of course he now pratices with each night and is sticking them into our wood target! (his mother is quite impressed her 6 yr old is sticking butter kives into the target at about 8' away)

Ok so now this all ties into the "Survial and Preparedness" how? Well for one, it never hurts to know more and gain knowledge. Two, it proved to be a great eye opener on how lethal the tomahawk could be. Even if it doesn't hit with the blade the sheer force is "gonna leave a mark" laugh

I learned very quickly how much holding the tomahawk a certain way and determining the distance could give the desired results. Each person has a different reach and it affects the outcome.

If you ever get a chance, go to one of these classes. It may prove invaluable one day. Heck if the SHTF, bullets will eventually run out or become to precious to use when a kife or tomahawk could do the job. If nothing else it's a lot of fun.

Now to go order some goodies to throw cool

Bona na Croin- Neither Collar nor Crown

"Free where I live or die where I stand"