03/06/2010 02:52 AM
03/06/2010 02:52 AM
The Old Dominion
S
sayitwithamini-14 Offline OP
sayitwithamini-14  Offline OP
S
The Old Dominion
I am lucky enough to live in a very rural area, and I can utilize several hundred acres that I have permission to hunt on. I do have to share this area with several other folks and with a couple miles of hiking can get away fairly easily from the main hunting area. There are some 4 wheel trails, but for the most part there are not many people who go there during the off season.
This is my training area and what I like to do is hike in and set up a base camp. Build a fire from scratch utilizing primitive fire starting techniques. Then after camp is complete I pull out my compass and practice land navigation skills. By plotting a course and hanging targets in different locations (paper plates hung from brush). After this is complete I go back to camp and prepare a meal or practice other skills, or just enjoy the beauty of Appalachia. Sometime in the evening or early the next morning I take my airsoft rifle and start running my drills through the course I have plotted. This is my preference, and the way I see it, it keeps me sharp in between FTXs with my unit. And I get to utilize skills and equipment.
Hopefully most of you have an area you can use, but you don't have to wait for any large scale exercise if you have a place, or find a place to train.

We should have freed the slaves, and then fired on Sumter. Gen. James Longstreet C.S.A.
Re: A PLACE TO TRAIN #100552
03/06/2010 10:25 AM
03/06/2010 10:25 AM
New York/Vermont
A
APatientMan Offline
APatientMan  Offline
A
New York/Vermont
I was lucky enough to pick up some land this last summer at a real estate auction in Northern NY. Bought a house and 5 acres for under $5000.00 (my severence pay for when my job went to China). It's in a small town and don't know if it's useful or not but would be more than willing to let a unit do some training there.
I guess more importantly is the price I paid. Anyone up this way should check the auctions out this year. Might be able to pool some money and buy substantial acres. A lot of the cheaper properties sold were "land locked" and you have to hike in to get to them.

Freedom is that instant between when someone tells you to do something and when you decide how to respond
Re: A PLACE TO TRAIN #100553
03/06/2010 05:47 PM
03/06/2010 05:47 PM
The Old Dominion
S
sayitwithamini-14 Offline OP
sayitwithamini-14  Offline OP
S
The Old Dominion
Sorry to hear about your Job, but damn that was a good deal!!!

We should have freed the slaves, and then fired on Sumter. Gen. James Longstreet C.S.A.

Moderated by  airforce, ConSigCor 

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.