10/14/2011 04:35 PM
Unoccupied Canada
C
CK Offline OP
CK  Offline OP
C
Unoccupied Canada
Okay,

This is a three part message. One, about what field rations should be made of. Two, how you can economize on food you are either eating yourself while in forward operating positions or supplying to militia deployed in the field. The third part, logistical chains used to supply fighting guerrilla bands.

1. IMO field rations should basically be (A) a poptop can of meat (beef, spam, sardines), (B) a pouch of rice crackers or melba toast, (C) a pouch of koolaid or iced tea and (D) a candy bar or gum to provide morale boosts and (E) a hot beverage item like a teabag or instant coffee pouch. Also (F) condiments and (G) a handy-wipe and a toothpick.

1.1. In creating field rations, we need to recognize that guerrillas are not able to set up field kitchens beyond the squad level. They might be operating behind enemy lines, unable to light fires or use sterno or coleman stoves. They might be operating in an area where aerial recce would give away a position if there was a fire.

1.2. From my experience as a scout and hiker, I realize that the less energy required to prepare a meal, the more satisfying it is. If you have to fight with a heating tab, strain water, carry a tea press or coffee press, etc, it becomes a hassle.

1.3. Candy or gum. Every ration pack I had in the army cadets had a morale item like this. Peppermint gum is superior to a bunch of mint leaves if you can ID them correctly. It's also a morale item because it's a quick, short based energy item that requires no heating, no prep work and can be carried around in a BDU pocket with minimal risk.

2.Look out at discount shops for tinned meat. There are lots of places where you can get 10 tins/10 dollars and although it's often off-brand it's technically similar. As for crackers, buy large boxes and put them in ziplock bags and pump the air out. Or buy the saltines already in small pouches. As for condiments, buy them in bulk and portion them out. Assume the soldier will get one good meal a day, so this will be it. Teabags and coffee pouches are inexpensive, and having a tea up is vital to the morale of people who are living out of what's on their backs.

3. Delivery to the front. In guerrilla warfare, there is no front. But there will be men, roving the countryside in small teams and loading up a panel van, Meals on Wheels style could be used to supply many people. If you can put meals in a cardboard box, 10 kits per box or small crate and leave them camoed up and available at cache positions. If you GPS the coordinates, other teams can stop by and get a good supper, without having to haul a field kitchen around in their trucks.

CK

Re: Field Rations: Content, Cost and Delivery #101088
10/14/2011 05:45 PM
10/14/2011 05:45 PM
Eastern NC
HARBINGER Offline
HARBINGER  Offline
Eastern NC
Bulk up a little now so you can miss a meal or two later. One gallon of water weighs just over 8lbs, 8.350 I think. How much of that you willing to tote? Filters and purification are best bet. Food takes up a lot of space in a ruck, my 3 day rations are couple pounds deer or beef jerky, two quarts water, usually 4 or 5 marathon bars, 5 5 hour energy shots. Morning coffee and afternoon tea is nice but can wait. If I have to light a fire it won't be for a cup of Joe. Cans are needless weight, and trash. Keep the stuff you got to cook back with the stove. A pack of sugarless gum is in my first line. Trim that grub down make room for ammo.

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm, CXLIV
Re: Field Rations: Content, Cost and Delivery #101089
10/15/2011 05:26 AM
10/15/2011 05:26 AM
Western States
Breacher Offline
Breacher  Offline
Western States
I am with Harbinger on this, after having a lot of experience with using my bugout bag as my lunchbox on fairly isolated job sites. I call it "isolated" if it is not within walking distance or a very short drive of a fast food joint.

If I am looking at nutritional needs for a combat operation, then cooking is out of the question and reserved only for established locations. Even with my time in the military, I have tuff bin containers full of leftover MRE heaters to attest to that reality. If it takes you more than ten minutes to chow down on an MRE, you are being slow and lazy.

Now that sort of fast food is costly, has to often be prepared or bought ahead of time and may not have the longest shelf life, but that's what you need for combat. Now in OIF, some Marine planners got stupid with this phrase "bullets and water when going out for death ad slaughter", but it takes more than water. Nutritional supplements, protein shakes, food bars, and yes, stimulant substances. I am not talking meth here, but caffeine pills, maybe ephedra if you can get it, 6 hour energy drinks, definitely. That's where the Marines were getting fucked over, there was talk of HSLD go-food, and what they got was just a short issue of MRE and orders to "make it last".

As for meals on wheels, I am looking at militia groups being supported by somewhat mobile communities anyway, and in that, just like where we get these conspiracy theories of Chinese Restaraunts actually being chow halls for platoon sized units in some invasion scenario, food vending trailers can be set up as chow points for our people, with economic sustainability for the preparation. Think about it, your non-combatant support people running a nice little hot dog or stir-fry stand at local carnivals, flea markets and fairs. It already is a mobile kitchen facility, economically self supporting as long as you want to keep it running (they rarely lose money, just that people quit doing it due to making less than they could make elsewhere). It would not be hard to support some teams with regular take-out delivery food.

Life liberty, and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Trump: not the president America needs, but the president America deserves.
Re: Field Rations: Content, Cost and Delivery #101090
10/15/2011 05:48 AM
10/15/2011 05:48 AM
Eastern NC
HARBINGER Offline
HARBINGER  Offline
Eastern NC
I remember eating pork patties like cookies, no rehydration. The coffee and drink mix was chased with water for dessert.

Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. - Psalm, CXLIV
Re: Field Rations: Content, Cost and Delivery #101091
10/15/2011 06:02 PM
10/15/2011 06:02 PM
Eastern NC
HARBINGER Offline
HARBINGER  Offline
Eastern NC
I have a lot of gear, it is useful. Do this, go camping Friday through Sunday, take everything you THINK you need in your pack. If you go anywhere take the pack. Figure how much 300 rounds weigh and substitute with something of equal weight and mass. Get a plastic bat fill with cement to simulate a rifle, again this rifle goes where you go. No cheating, if it don't fit in the pack or tied to the pack it stays in the rear (home).
My 120 pounds or so 3 day pack is now a modest 70 pound pack. There's stuff I'd like to have but it makes finishing an op more enjoyable. Coming back to a soft pad on a cot, getting a solid hot meal, or maybe just a cup of Earl Gray to wind down.
If you're honest on this you'll end up with what you NEED.
Also rage pen and paper if you think of something you don't have write it down and why. When you decide you don't need it write it down and why. Next time you go try out the new stuff that made your list. This list will never quit changing I promise. You'll wind up with a list for all seasons it all starts with a list the first one I started was a list of lists.
None of this is my idea just things I've read here and elsewhere. Now is the time to practice and see what works, is hate to lose something I really need at camp just because I thought I may need it on a long patrol so I ditched it because of weight and hadn't used it for 3 days. One more thing I live in bear country so regardless of things I carry when I go.

Re: Field Rations: Content, Cost and Delivery #101092
10/15/2011 06:23 PM
10/15/2011 06:23 PM
Unoccupied Canada
C
CK Offline OP
CK  Offline OP
C
Unoccupied Canada
One thing I learned as a boy soldier was that troops will strip their rations from what they're issued to what they want to carry. Instead of carrying the 10+ items in the ration bag, they might bring the tea, tinned beef and the candy bar.

I think that if there was a shooting war, one way our troops could remain in field is for somebody to resupply caches with tasty food. We can't carry a 3 month supply on our backs. But sympathetic citizens might be willing to sneak a small load of rations to a forward position behind the lines.

CK

Re: Field Rations: Content, Cost and Delivery #101093
10/15/2011 06:53 PM
10/15/2011 06:53 PM
Eastern NC
HARBINGER Offline
HARBINGER  Offline
Eastern NC
That you cannot depend on. You must store now for tomorrow. I think for most people it will be hard for them to feed themselves and their families. The only tasty foods will come from your stores. Plan accordingly and implement quickly.

Re: Field Rations: Content, Cost and Delivery #101094
10/18/2011 10:55 AM
10/18/2011 10:55 AM
Western States
Breacher Offline
Breacher  Offline
Western States
Originally posted by CK:
One thing I learned as a boy soldier was that troops will strip their rations from what they're issued to what they want to carry. Instead of carrying the 10+ items in the ration bag, they might bring the tea, tinned beef and the candy bar.

I think that if there was a shooting war, one way our troops could remain in field is for somebody to resupply caches with tasty food. We can't carry a 3 month supply on our backs. But sympathetic citizens might be willing to sneak a small load of rations to a forward position behind the lines.

CK
Yeah, sneaking in resupply caches is one of those skillsets for guerrilla support operatives.

It is my opinion that personnel numbers on actual offensive operation fighting forces can be kept to a minimum if those fighters are fairly elite and well supported with food, supplies, ammunition, safe havens and medical care. Cache supply points and anonymous supply drops would have to play a big element in this.

Life liberty, and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Trump: not the president America needs, but the president America deserves.
Re: Field Rations: Content, Cost and Delivery #101095
10/18/2011 01:41 PM
10/18/2011 01:41 PM
Unoccupied Canada
C
CK Offline OP
CK  Offline OP
C
Unoccupied Canada
I know some foods are "red flagged". I like energy drinks once in a while. I like candy and instant pudding...

The point is, I'll probably die of an enemy missile than diabetes or a heart problem. I make it a practice to keep buying stuff I would want, not necessarily what's best vitamin wise. I don't eat a lot of it, but in a conflict would want it.

As for sneaking in resupply, it's as easy as taking two socks, putting a backpack filled with ammo and tinned meat hanging in a tree where you're expecting it. Don't assume it needs to be a commando mission.

CK

Re: Field Rations: Content, Cost and Delivery #101096
11/06/2011 10:53 AM
11/06/2011 10:53 AM
Mississippi
K
Kimber_45 Offline
Kimber_45  Offline
K
Mississippi
My typical 3 day pack weighs about 35lbs even in the winter when we have field exercises. I usually don't have a big appetite in the field so I usually eat a few snacks during the day and a mountain house for supper. We are usually busy hiking 10-15 miles and doing first aid, navigation or some other training to be piled up eating for an hour. I usually have 4 mountain house meals, some beef jerky, some clif bars, some instant potato sides. I only carry 2-3 liters of water but I can filter as much as I want. I could carry 8L if needed. I have a MSR pocket rocket stove and a titainium cup to heat water for coffee, tea, or whatever.

Re: Field Rations: Content, Cost and Delivery #101097
11/06/2011 10:55 AM
11/06/2011 10:55 AM
Mississippi
K
Kimber_45 Offline
Kimber_45  Offline
K
Mississippi
Of coarse winter in MS is way different than Canada lol.

Moderated by  airforce, ConSigCor 

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.