06/22/2011 02:00 PM
06/22/2011 02:00 PM
Tulsa
airforce Online content OP
Administrator
airforce  Online Content OP
Administrator
Tulsa
One reason, of course, is because it isn't taught in high schools. But, considering how the government schools teach other subjects, maybe that's a good thing.

Another reason is because of ignorant articles like this one by Ed Vulliamy. Incredibly, Mr. Vulliamy thinks the drug violence in Mexico is simply an example of capitalism taken to its logical conclusion.

Seriously, I can't count the number of ways this article is wrong. You have to read it to believe it. I'd post the whole article here except it's too long, and these Wal-Mart thugs are beating me up. :rolleyes:

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: Why people Are Ignorant About Economics #153008
06/24/2011 01:18 PM
06/24/2011 01:18 PM
Tulsa
airforce Online content OP
Administrator
airforce  Online Content OP
Administrator
Tulsa
Steven Pearlstein is the economics columnist for the Washington Post, though I can't find any evidence that he ever studied economics. Case in point: This column. In an article about the slow growth in the job market, Mr. Pearlstein makes this odd observation:

...I’d also offer a geographic hypothesis. For years, much of the growth in the nation revolved around the movement of people and business from the Rustbelt to the Sunbelt. Before long, a self-reinforcing dynamic took hold where growth begot more growth. As big corporations moved work from Pennsylvania and Ohio, entrepreneurs saw the opportunity to provide the new factories with everything from parts to catering services. Small contractors sprang up to build houses for the employees of all those new ventures, followed by other firms to provide restaurant meals and yoga instruction to all the new inhabitants. Only when the bubble burst did it become clear that all that growth-induced growth had gotten way ahead of itself. The entrepreneurial activity, along with the explosive job growth, came to a sudden halt....
He doesn't seem to wonder why so many industries simply packed up and moved south. Well, since he didn't ask, I'll answer:

[Linked Image]

Mr. Pearlstein seems to think that wages have now been beaten down, and industries are poised to move back north. Perhaps, but I think Mr. Pearlstein is forgetting the capacity of the NLRB and other arms of the government to force industries to move to other countries. That would be my bet.

Onward and upward,
airforce

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.