Idaho veteran says VA plans to seize his guns in error

Lindsay Nadrich, KREM.com PDT August 6, 2015

PRIEST RIVER, Idaho -- Veteran John Arnold said he received a letter on July 30 telling him Veterans Affairs representatives were planning to come pick up his guns.

Dozens gathered in front of Arnold's home Thursday to support his right to keep those gun.

"A couple days ago it was going to be me sitting here with john and today it's quite a few folks that so it's veterans veterans taking care of veterans," said Arnold's friend Ranger Rick.

Arnold had a stroke one year ago. In January, paperwork filed with the VA stated that Arnold was financially incompetent and could not handle his own affairs.

Arnold claimed the box that was checked was done in error and he was always competent to handle himself. However, the VA said that due to the paperwork, Arnold was no longer allowed to buy, sell or possess firearms.

"If somebody else makes an error and they cause you grief they should fix it," said Arnold. "That's all I want is that stuff to get fixed."

Many community members showed up to support his right to keep them.

Arnold received a letter that his firearms would be taken away July 30. An inspector was scheduled to go to Arnold's home August 6 to complete and inspection and seize the guns.

Arnold said he was amazed at the support he received Thursday. Community members showed up to support him and two state representatives made appearances as well. Representative Heather Scott from Idaho and Representative Matt Shea were both in attendance.

"It's absolutely amazing and it gives you a new found hope that there are still people out there," said supporter Maria Bosworth.

A field officer with Bonner County Veteran Services made an appearance at the gathering at Arnold's home Thursday afternoon. He announced to the crowd that the VA inspector would not be coming to Arnold's house that day. The Veteran Service officer also said Arnold may appeal the paperwork stating he was incompetent to handle his funds.

Arnold said he would work with that officer to get things straightened out.

"I just hope everything calms down and I can live in ease in my life instead of worrying about everything and the worry shouldn't be there," said Arnold.

Gun-confiscation fears lead to protest in northern Idaho

By KIMBERLEE KRUESI

BOISE, Idaho (AP) — A group of residents in northern Idaho lined up outside a U.S. Navy veteran's house on Thursday to protest claims that federal officials are planning on confiscating the man's weapons.

Idaho Republican state Rep. Heather Scott of Blanchard said the Veteran Affairs office has sent a letter to John Arnold of Priest River warning him that he cannot possess or purchase firearms.

The protest —spearheaded by Scott— attracted roughly 100 people. Among them were Bonner County Sheriff Daryl Wheeler, who promised to stand guard against any federal attempts to remove Arnold's guns, and Republican Washington state Rep. Matthew Shea of Spokane Valley, who described the event as a "defiance against tyranny."

"I took an oath to uphold the U.S. Constitution and uphold the laws of Idaho," Wheeler said. "This seemed appropriate to show my support. I was going to make sure Mr. Arnold's rights weren't going to be breached."

During Thursday's demonstration, the group at times broke out in song to sing "God Bless America" and pray while waving both the American flag and the "Don't tread on me" flag. With a population of just 1,700, Priest River is near the tip of northern Idaho— a region known for its strong tea party roots and gun-rights activism.

Scott was one of the key lawmakers during this year's Legislature who helped sink legislation that would have put Idaho in compliance with federal child support laws. Doing so put Idaho at threat of losing millions of federal dollars and resources, and required the Idaho Legislature to meet for a special session, at which the state finally passed the legislation.

Arnold did not immediately respond to calls from The Associated Press.

Veteran Affairs spokesman Bret Bowers confirmed a letter had been sent to Arnold from the VA's benefits office in Salt Lake City, but he said that VA policy prohibits discussing individual health records without consent. Bowers added that the agency doesn't have the authority to confiscate weapons.

"We don't send officers to confiscate weapons. We are about providing health care to veterans," he said.

Currently, the Veterans Affairs Department can bar veterans from purchasing guns if they are declared incompetent. However, this authority has been criticized by Second Amendment advocates. Most recently, Republican U.S. Sen. John Cornyn of Texas proposed legislation that would require court action before barring gun purchases by veterans declared incompetent.

"This does happen sometimes, where the VA sends out a letter," said Bryan Hult, veteran services officer for Bonner County. "Especially if a veteran has dementia ... and a fiduciary has to be appointed to manage finances like a pension and income. You wouldn't want that person to be in possession of a gun."

"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861