Living in the heartland and having family that still farms, I have often wondered what all these farms would look like if there was a meltdown in the economy and supply network.
No diesel, no hybrid seeds, no fertilizer, no herbicide/insecticide/fungicide, no GPS system, no vast markets for bulk commodities...
With these farms off-line, the food supply of the nation and world would very quickly grind to a famine inducing halt very quickly.
Several key points of considerations that I’ve thought of.
1. Need to have a decent supply of non-gmo open pollinated seeds of several species in safe long term storage
2. Need to have enough diesel on hand to run farm (on a smaller scale) for a year
3. Have a screw oil press and oil filtration system
4. Have the ability to run tractors on SVO (strait vegetable oil)
5. Have the small scale equipment to grow multiple different types of these crops. Most farms these days (in this part of the country) only grow corn and soybeans
6. Have equipment to be able to clean, sort, bag/bucket/barrel these crops
7. Local security to keep this setup secure
If this were to go down, having the ability to produce your own seed, fuel, and process the harvest.... it would be EXTREMELY valuable. Not only valuable from a survival perspective, but valuable financially, and valuable politically. Neighbors, rivals, criminal gangs, bandit hordes, government agencies would seek to “acquire” control or possession of this setup for these reasons.
Just some thoughts that I wanted to put out there to start a discussion.