Print Thread
Any Dehydration experience out there? #176793
10/19/2021 08:43 AM
10/19/2021 08:43 AM
Omaha Nebraska
Huskerpatriot Offline OP
Huskerpatriot  Offline OP
Omaha Nebraska
My wife recently picked up a quality food dehydrator for our prepping needs.

So far I’m finding out that there is a noticeable learning curve. I’m grateful that I’m acquiring the experience of this curve BEFORE the SHTF! It is one thing to stockpile equipment and supplies “just in case”… but these are of little value if you are not acquiring the requisite skills and experience to put these to practical and reliable use.

If my family was counting on my dehydration skills to get us through the winter we would be facing starvation and FEMA food lines!

So far I have tried doing okra (always too much of that, so why not experiment on this)… ended up with a dehydrated pint that was sealed up in a jar (got the sealer to dry vacuum pack jars) that we think was not fully dried or cooled before sealing so the condensation caused it to RE hydrate and ferment🤢

Tried blueberries… wow! After 26 hours STILL not dehydrated!

Any sage advice and seasoned experience out there I can learn from?

"Government at its best is a necessary evil, and at it�s worst, an intolerable one."
 Thomas Paine (from "Common Sense" 1776)
Re: Any Dehydration experience out there? [Re: Huskerpatriot] #176794
10/19/2021 11:49 AM
10/19/2021 11:49 AM
Tulsa
airforce Online content
Administrator
airforce  Online Content
Administrator
Tulsa
it took us a while to realize you had to cool the product off before sealing. Some people, after drying, put them in a freezer before sealing. We do this for some things, especially meats and onions.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Moderated by  airforce, ConSigCor 

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.