Print Thread
Using lime to niximal field corn to make hominy #178610
07/31/2022 03:05 PM
07/31/2022 03:05 PM
Omaha Nebraska
Huskerpatriot Online content OP
Huskerpatriot  Online Content OP
Omaha Nebraska
My wife and I just recently learned about how to store eggs during surplus months to last through the light winter months in a line water solution. So now I have a 50# bag of lime. Got me to wondering about learn how to use it to niximal field corn from my families farm to make hominy, maybe during some fore posole soups and grinding it to make grits. I’ve read up “on the line” a lot but was wondering about any personal experience with this?

We recently got a hand crank grain mill and have wheat on hand for grinding. Also have a dehydrator to dry out the hominy.

I figure that in the “Cornhusker state” having the ability to live off of field corn might come in handy.

"Government at its best is a necessary evil, and at it�s worst, an intolerable one."
 Thomas Paine (from "Common Sense" 1776)
Re: Using lime to niximal field corn to make hominy [Re: Huskerpatriot] #180775
03/31/2024 03:33 PM
03/31/2024 03:33 PM
Omaha Nebraska
Huskerpatriot Online content OP
Huskerpatriot  Online Content OP
Omaha Nebraska
After contemplating this for years… I’m finally getting around to planning this. The next time I head out to the farm, I’m coming home with a 5 gallon bucket of field corn from one of the bins. I’m going to experiment with grinding it to make cornmeal, as well as doing the niximal process to make hominy. Since we have a dehydrator, we can reliably and easily dry this to make posole, which can then be ground to make grits, or further ground to make a flour for tortilla making. WAY more nutritious than straight cornmeal.

With the way things are going, I want to know what I’m doing before stuff hits the fan. I don’t want to be dealing with the learn curve during a crisis.

One of the prepping tricks we’ve learned in the huskerpatriot family, is to incorporate long term prep supplies into regular meals. It makes stocking up on a product make total sense since you are rotator the oldest using it up and regularly replacing what you use with new. Come a crisis, you already have it on hand, know how to prepare it with ease, family enjoys eating it and it becomes a part of your traditions.

In this part of the country, knowing how to do this count only feed your family, but could be a nice way to feed many others. This could be to feed neighbors and people in need (charity), patriot militia staff (duty) or for sale/barter (commerce).

Does anyone have experience with using field corn like this? I’ll share my results as this project progresses.

"Government at its best is a necessary evil, and at it�s worst, an intolerable one."
 Thomas Paine (from "Common Sense" 1776)
Re: Using lime to niximal field corn to make hominy [Re: Huskerpatriot] #180779
03/31/2024 06:20 PM
03/31/2024 06:20 PM
Tulsa
airforce Online content
Administrator
airforce  Online Content
Administrator
Tulsa
I never have. To be honest, I've never even thought about it, I've always considered field corn to be strictly silage for livestock, but it sounds plausible. Let us know how it turns out!

Onward and upward,
airforce

Moderated by  airforce, ConSigCor 

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.