Print Thread
Post SHTF mechanical essentials #178827
09/03/2022 08:21 PM
09/03/2022 08:21 PM
Omaha Nebraska
Huskerpatriot Offline OP
Huskerpatriot  Offline OP
Omaha Nebraska
I don’t know why…. But recent events in the news for some unexplained reason gotten me to envisioning a SHTF world…. Weird isn’t it?

But I was curious what we would be doing for a lot of mechanical essentials such as…
Tires, brake pads, oil/air/fuel filters, hoses, belts, spark plugs, fuel injectors….

These things all wear out and or break down with everyday use. In a survival situation with poorly stored/maintained fuel, homemade fuel, way past due for a change oil, and broken down roads… these things will be degraded at an accelerated rate.

Unless you are sitting on a regional O’Riley/Napa auto parts warehouse, the longer a crisis goes on the more pronounced this will become. I was curious what should be done to prepare for this? Might be a wise investment to stock up on a few of the regular parts that your main vehicle needs. With our current inflation this would probably be a wise investment anyways. Post SHTF, non-essential vehicles in your fleet should probably be “parted out” for sale/trade/barter with people that need those things if you yourself can’t use them.

In an emergency is there a workable way of flushing filters to make them serviceable? The ability to “remanufacture” such things could itself be like a hold mine.

Are there any home grown engine oil substitutes or ways to filter old oil for reuse? I’m not a mechanic so I have no idea.

I suspect that if a global shutdown went beyond 4-5 years it would start to look rather 1700s across much of the countryside. This would only serve to drag out any rebuilding process.

"Government at its best is a necessary evil, and at it�s worst, an intolerable one."
 Thomas Paine (from "Common Sense" 1776)
Re: Post SHTF mechanical essentials [Re: Huskerpatriot] #178828
09/03/2022 10:56 PM
09/03/2022 10:56 PM
Tulsa
airforce Online content
Administrator
airforce  Online Content
Administrator
Tulsa
As John Wesley Rawles said, "Hindsight is 20/20." No matter how well we plan, something is going to throw a wrench into our most careful preparations. If worst becomes even worser, I'm pretty confident a barter economy will sooner or later emerge, and we'll be able to barter or trade for things we didn't foresee needing. Personally, I think .22LR will always be in demand, so I set aside extra ammo just for trading. Gold and silver? Maybe. Bitcoin? I don't think so.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Moderated by  airforce, ConSigCor 

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.