Normalcy Bias is Bad, OK?

byJD February 7, 2023

I’m convinced that the vast majority of Americans (and people in the West in general) are OK with literally anything, as long Netflix still works, and Amazon still delivers. This whole spy balloon saga just reinforced it.

Before I delve into normalcy bias and ways to avoid it, let me give you two pieces of Tactical Wisdom from the Ultimate Tactical Handbook that apply here. Yes, you can live through two verses and you might even learn something.

if anyone hears the trumpet but does not heed the warning and the sword comes and takes their life, their blood will be on their own head.

Ezekiel 33:4

Pretty straightforward, right? There are warning signs and many of us keep trying to warn you. The Council on Future Conflict, the Privy Council, our friends at both Forward Observer and Knightsbridge, and me personally. But we can only “sound the trumpet”. It’s up to you (or whomever) to heed the warning. I can lead a horse to water….

The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty.

Proverbs 22:3

The prudent thing to do is to take action when you see danger on the horizon.

Enter the balloon buffoonery. When a passenger on a commercial airliner saw it out the window, they told some people. Eventually it got to a local news reporter in Montana, who obtained video of it. When word spread, the Pentagon came out and admitted that they had been tracking it for DAYS. Here’s the deal: These people are charged with protecting you and me. They chose instead to not do that. This thing could have been carrying an EMP device, incendiary bombs (the Japanese used balloons to attack with these throughout WW2), or deadly pathogens. The point is that the DOD couldn’t be CERTAIN that it was safe.

When several of us pointed out these issues, we were roundly laughed at and argued with, saying that the “experts” had decided it was none of those things and was perfectly safe. Ask yourself this – how could they possibly know?

They decided to allow it to traverse our entire nation. China claimed it was off-course and harmless. I imagine it’s just a lucky coincidence that this wayward and off-course spy balloon traveled over our largest ICBM field, several critical bases, the TVA and Oak Ridge National Laboratory, and both Fort Bragg and Camp LeJeune. What a fortuitous wind it caught.

On a side note, they determined that it was not a danger, but once they shot it down (after it had completed its spy mission), they issued a warning to South Carolina beach residents to not touch the debris, BECAUSE IT COULD BE DANGEROUS.

But the problem isn’t just this balloon. The Ukraine War is getting out of hand, and Russia is starting to gain ground again. We have agreed to provide heavier armaments and Russia warned us against it. “LOL, let’s set up a no-fly zone too” say all the normalcy bias people. They can’t fathom that Russia can strike us here, and with our over-reliance on electrons, could alter all our lives in seconds by damaging the grid.

The same normalcy bias people think we can fight China to protect Taiwan. I’ll set aside the fact that we are not currently even capable of getting to the island fast enough to make a difference, but they envision us fighting a war against China that doesn’t touch them here. “It’s all fine bro, China wouldn’t dare. They need us.”. China dared last week with the balloon and WE DID NOTHING.

Now, I know, someone will leave me a comment that we did shoot it down, but shooting down after it completes it’s mission and leaves your country is NOT a win. China does NOT need us, in fact we DO need them for a steady supply of cheap goods and all that American farmland they own.

There are currently 2 Iranian ships in the South Atlantic for the first time ever. Venezuela held massive amphibious assault drills in the fall. China runs drills for invading Taiwan daily. Russia is inspecting their civil defense infrastructure. Thousands of South American, Chinese, Iranian, and Russian people illegally enter the US via our southern border – how many are military or paramilitary assets? Our enemies are preparing for wars of aggression and we’re holding diversity training.

We are seeing sabotage on our electrical grid and food supply.

Yet, the vast majority of Americans believe “it could never happen here” or “you’re just paranoid”. The rest of the world is preparing for a world war, and we’re holding Drag Queen ‘Family’ shows.

Normalcy bias is the tendency to think things are normal when they are not. Denying that something is happening when it is, because you’d rather not contemplate it. It’s the tendency to not take action, when you should.

Friends, I don’t want you to get paranoid, but I want you to face reality. We are on the road to world war, and we passed the last exit a long time ago.

We are also in the midst of a run up to civil conflict. If you don’t believe that, ask yourself why they put up a fence around the Capitol today for tomorrow’s State of the Union. Ask yourself why the FBI decided TODAY to arrest a pair of barely functioning people for plotting to attack the electrical grid in Baltimore (a predominantly black city) and calling them Neo-Nazis who want to start a race war. The entire case is, once again, built upon the use of several “confidential human sources” to catch two barely literate people. Mark my words, Joe Biden will mention this during the State of the Union and talk about the increasing “domestic terror threat”. There is no turning back here. The FBI and DHS have been setting this up for a long time with warnings about “attacks on the grid by right wing extremists”. For the record, a leftist site has detailed instructions on how to attack a power substation.

I implore you, heed the warnings laid out in front of you. You don’t have to take my word for it, but I do ask you to pay attention to it. I hear from a lot of people now, ” It’s gotten so bad that I stopped paying attention”. Listen, if you were worried about getting hit by a train and decided not to pay attention to the train whistle because it’s too scary, what’s going to happen? Pay attention, do some research, and take the basic steps to get ready.

Get 2 weeks of portable food. Get a means to purify water. Have a communications plan. Have a means to see to your own security.

Try to help your friends and neighbors get over their normalcy bias. It’s not political, just get them to understand the danger and take steps to mitigate the risk. A rising tide lifts all ships.

As a reminder, there is much more content over at tacticalwisdom.locals.com. There are other options there for supporting my work.

A great way to get preparedness gear is a BattlBox membership. I am an ambassador for them, so I do make a commission, but now through Valentines Day, they are offering 30% off your first box. Use my link: https://myrefl.ink/v/d72003e and then apply discount code LAUNCH-06H at checkout for 30% off.

If you like our content and would like to support our work, please become a locals supporter or make a donation below. You can also click any of the affiliate links and make a purchase to support us (we get a small commission).

Check out Aden Tate’s Ham Radio comic above!

"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861