07/02/2005 12:05 AM
07/02/2005 12:05 AM
KY
N
nedwreck Offline OP
nedwreck  Offline OP
N
KY
We have a new forum, "Survival and Preparedness"???
and I get to make the first thread, too?
neat.

I've always found it kinda funny... Lots of "Survivalists" aren't Militia minded, although most (not all) Milita type folks started as Survivalists.

The Survivalists I know seem to be more worried about thier hidey-holes, then helping to repel a gang of looters in thier town. Many do seem to be aware that they may be needed in a Militia role, but seem to want to avoid that like the plaque.

Comments? Thoughts? Is this the mindset around your state, wherever you are?

Thanks,
ned

"Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently" - Henry Ford

"This is a revolution, damn it. We've got to offend somebody." - John Adams

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine
Re: New Forum Area? Thoughts on "Survivalists"... #98290
07/02/2005 01:00 AM
07/02/2005 01:00 AM
Tulsa
airforce Offline
Administrator
airforce  Offline
Administrator
Tulsa
It's not really new, it's just one of the forums that got a big hit in the recent cluster.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I was into "survivalism" years before I became interested in the militia. Way back in the Stone Age (when I was in the military), I was working in a refugee camp in Chad. It was a scene straight from Hell. Between airdrops, I was helping to dig graves--and we couldn't keep up with the demand. For me, it was a pivotal, life-changing experience, even more than my time in Vietnam was. In short, I became a "survivalist," and even more of a Libertarian than I already was.

I'm afraid God left me a little deficient in ESP. I have little idea what the future holds for me--but I can tell you unequivocally that I will never, ever be in a refugee camp.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: New Forum Area? Thoughts on "Survivalists"... #98291
07/02/2005 04:34 AM
07/02/2005 04:34 AM
71st Bn/24th FF (Missouri)
B
BEAR Offline
BEAR  Offline
B
71st Bn/24th FF (Missouri)
I think that "survivalists" fall into several categories.

1. Financially Stable Modern Man. Those that bank on the system not changing for the worst. These are the types that live well, have a new car, a mortgage and a great paying job (or perhaps even their own company) that brings in the bacon. They have diversified funds in the Stock Market, IRA, 401(k), etc. and several thousand in the bank. They have no fear for they perceive that, should anything happen, they can use their money to overcome or escape from it. Obviously this is rather short sighted, but many of the sheople are exactly this way!

2. The Prepared Survivialist. Understanding that the economic dynamics are fluid, that this system of things may one day crash just as it did during the dust bowl and the great depression, these people put some food, water and supplies back. Their thinking, for the most part, is that they will be able to ride out the storm until order is restored, that their living in a small town or, ideally, a few miles outside of that small town, will provide a buffer from the hordes of unprepared people as they panic to stay alive.

3. The Militiaman. In my opinion, the Militiaman is the ultimate survivalist for he understands not only the importance of stocking supplies but also the force multiplier effect his well trained and prepared group has, increasing the odds for their survival. Most importantly, the Militiaman is motivated by love for God and Country to maintain the US as the Founding Fathers originally intended when they drafted the US Constitution.

So, while most are in it for themselves, the Militiamen are in it for the good of the Country as a whole. The ultimate Homeland Security.

President Andrew Jackson
“One man with courage makes a majority.”
Re: New Forum Area? Thoughts on "Survivalists"... #98292
07/02/2005 07:50 PM
07/02/2005 07:50 PM
049Bn 41FF
O
Ol Bull Offline
Ol Bull  Offline
O
049Bn 41FF
BEAR, Very Well Said [salute]

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animating costs of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms"- Samuel Adams
Re: New Forum Area? Thoughts on "Survivalists"... #98293
07/05/2005 03:35 PM
07/05/2005 03:35 PM
Edmonton Alberta CANADA
F
Free-Man Offline
Free-Man  Offline
F
Edmonton Alberta CANADA
Great to see this site back up and to see you all again.
I saw the need to keep food, water and other supplies on hand after 9/11 and started to research emergency preparedness on the net. That brought me to this site as well as others. Now I train with a small group of guys who used to be in the Canadian Armed Forces and I try to incorporate all aspects of survival including Bug Out Vehicles in my plans.

Free-Man out...

Oportunity Loves Preparedness!
Re: New Forum Area? Thoughts on "Survivalists"... #98294
07/05/2005 07:51 PM
07/05/2005 07:51 PM
behind you
D
dreadstalker Offline
NCO Contributor
dreadstalker  Offline
NCO Contributor
D
behind you
yrs of bieng a prepper and primitive survivalist just seems to lead a person to the militia movement.in my case it was just a natuarel next step,and one that i have never regretted

LIVE FREE---DIE WELL
Re: New Forum Area? Thoughts on "Survivalists"... #98295
07/05/2005 10:44 PM
07/05/2005 10:44 PM
it the Hearts and Minds of Pat...
D
DICK WOLF Offline
DICK WOLF  Offline
D
Y2K pushed a lot of people into the survivalist;mode. now that it has past people dont seem to look at it as hard. the militia; should have that sort of thing in there training. as for some of the ones that run from the term militia; its a survival thing. people have lost their jobs from being in the militia, Ive seen it.
plus being able to operate with out being harrassed by local LEO,s

Re: New Forum Area? Thoughts on "Survivalists"... #98296
07/05/2005 11:35 PM
07/05/2005 11:35 PM
151 BN 26 FF, Thumb MI
H
HuntingWolf Offline
HuntingWolf  Offline
H
151 BN 26 FF, Thumb MI
I think part of the problem with militia and survivalists is that many militia have almost no food stores. And survivalists see them as being as a danger to them.

I have had arguements with militia "types" who think its ok to take whats needed from survivalists.

For Roman Catholic Latin Mass: www.sspx.org

" A very important point to realize in the case of a general breakdown is that men will become more like beasts when they do not have food in thier bellies, and they will be ready to pounce upon thier neighbor, tearing him apart for just a piece of bread. We have seen... how even our relatives and apparent friends betrayed us when it came to a showdown."-Hans Schneider.
Re: New Forum Area? Thoughts on "Survivalists"... #98297
07/06/2005 12:33 AM
07/06/2005 12:33 AM
behind you
D
dreadstalker Offline
NCO Contributor
dreadstalker  Offline
NCO Contributor
D
behind you
Originally posted by HuntingWolf:
I have had arguements with militia "types" who think its ok to take whats needed from survivalists. [/QB]
that puts them on the same level as the rest of the ravening hordes and that is something most survivalists are prepared to deal with

LIVE FREE---DIE WELL
Re: New Forum Area? Thoughts on "Survivalists"... #98298
07/06/2005 03:56 PM
07/06/2005 03:56 PM
KY
N
nedwreck Offline OP
nedwreck  Offline OP
N
KY
Good posts.

I've seen a few of the observations here... guys who are prepared with plenty of gear-n-guns, but would starve or dehydrate if forced to "bug in" for a couple of weeks. Others who will basically reduce themselves to "mzb" status by "liberating stuff for the cause".

Deciding to increase one's preparedness from either a survivalist or milita standpoint is a big commitment with many similarities. Much of what I get of the difference seems to be mobile vs. stationary mindsets... live in one spot "bug in" or go chase bad guys, which usually involves "bug out" in some form.

How does one reconcile "survivalism" (in regards to one's family/friends) with "militia" (mobility and warfare) when one principle can compromise the other? I can see in my mind how both are needed at times, but the objectives can be quite different, yes?

Re: New Forum Area? Thoughts on "Survivalists"... #98299
07/07/2005 02:45 AM
07/07/2005 02:45 AM
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
ConSigCor Online content
ConSigCor  Online Content
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
Some militiamen suffer from the delusion that;

"The war will be over in 90 days...

And we will just take what we need from the enemy".

It ain't gonna happen that way folks.

If the militia is to ever be able to sustain itself in the field for more than a couple of days it must concentrate heavily on supply and logistics. All of us must be survivalists if we and our families are to endure the coming conflict.

The survivalist is a key element of the militia movement because he remains in place, underground, undetected and low profile. The survivalist makes the perfect auxilary arm of the resistance because he has stockpiled large quantities of food, ammunition, medical supplies etc. He can aid in evasion and escape, provide safe houses, medical aid stations, area intell. etc.

The militia must protect the survivlist just as the survivalist must aid and assist the militia...if either one is to survive the coming conflict. One without the other spells defeat.

"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861
Re: New Forum Area? Thoughts on "Survivalists"... #98300
07/07/2005 10:34 AM
07/07/2005 10:34 AM
2nd Cav 75th Bn 20th FF
H
Hawker Offline
Officer Contributor
Hawker  Offline
Officer Contributor

H
2nd Cav 75th Bn 20th FF
This is a point that I have been trying to get across for a while now.... and I am thrilled to see the thoughts that ya'll have posted on it.

I have seen too many posts that militiamen dog out the survivalists and lonewolves, and in turn, the survivalists doggin' out the militia. The in-fighting is self-defeating. We need each other...

I believe it's easier to transition from survivalist to militia than vice-versa. I was (and still am) a survivalist since the 70's. It wasn't that I didn't see a use for the militia, it's just that through the 70's and 80's, the militias that I checked out were KKK types, Neo-Nazi's, or were just there to play war (those that thought they'd kick butt and everything would be dandy). When I found that the militia was leaning in the non-hateful, legal as feasible, and professional warriors were taking the lead finally, I threw my hat into the militia.

Guys like ya'll are what is going to make the militia into what it was meant to be.... again. And you will attract the right type of Patriots that have been waiting for this type of militia.

As a survivalist, I had everything and more that is on the 1st, 2nd, & 3rd line gear list.... so the transition to militia was nothing more than a mind set. But I see too many militia have their guns and ammo, but lack what will keep them alive and healthy enough to fight when the time comes.

We can't depend on "finding" food and meds when we need it. How many of you have seed stocks to plant, and the books that cover growing and gardening? How many of you have water filtration systems? How many have a book that covers the natural plants in your AO.... which ones are harmful.... which ones heal or are edible? Have you thought of adding a recurve bow to your kit, so you can take game quietly? Have you stashed enough salt, which has so many uses it's silly not to have a very large quanity on hand. Do you even have a clue how to "process" the game you take? Do you know how to treat and prep the hides for later use? We all must be survivalists as well as militiamen. This will give us a huge advantage over any force that wants to take us on.

I have noticed that the main difference between the militia and survivalists are their thoughts on family. The survivalists families are always foremost in their planning. The militiamen tend to think about putting together that large force to go kick butt, and family is seldom brought up.
The whole point of "reclaiming the Republic" is for our families! While you are off fighting as an army a state away... who is watching out for your family? Are they safe? Are they alive? Are they being tortured and raped while you are protecting a piece of ground 500 miles away? You must prepare for your families survival and protection as well.

A Hunter/Survivlaist/Militiaman/Guerilla is going to be one tough fighter to beat. I pity those that only have their gun and bullets and think they will be successful going toe to toe with their enemy.

Ned, Dick.... good to "see" ya'll again, I'm lookin' forward to the Creek Meet in October!
Say "Hey" to Sharpstick and Kaintuck for me!

If you aren't prepared, you can't survive.
If you can't survive, you can't fight.
Re: New Forum Area? Thoughts on "Survivalists"... #98301
07/07/2005 12:26 PM
07/07/2005 12:26 PM
Tulsa
airforce Offline
Administrator
airforce  Offline
Administrator
Tulsa
Well said, Hawker!

Onward and upward,
airforce

Re: New Forum Area? Thoughts on "Survivalists"... #98302
07/07/2005 02:23 PM
07/07/2005 02:23 PM
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
ConSigCor Online content
ConSigCor  Online Content
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
Hawker, you understand what I've been trying to say for a long time.

BTW...Tell Big Nasty to check into the Comm. Off. forum.

"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861
Re: New Forum Area? Thoughts on "Survivalists"... #98303
07/07/2005 05:39 PM
07/07/2005 05:39 PM
D
DICK WOLF Offline
DICK WOLF  Offline
D
ConSigCor, is right, you must be willing to learn both sides, (MILITIA-SURVIVLIST) sounds good to me.Were all in this together.

Re: New Forum Area? Thoughts on "Survivalists"... #98304
07/08/2005 04:13 AM
07/08/2005 04:13 AM
2nd Cav 75th Bn 20th FF
H
Hawker Offline
Officer Contributor
Hawker  Offline
Officer Contributor

H
2nd Cav 75th Bn 20th FF
Originally posted by ConSigCor:
Hawker, you understand what I've been trying to say for a long time.

BTW...Tell Big Nasty to check into the Comm. Off. forum.
Will do....
By the way, he's also over on our MississippiMilitia site.

If you aren't prepared, you can't survive.
If you can't survive, you can't fight.
Re: New Forum Area? Thoughts on "Survivalists"... #98305
07/08/2005 06:28 AM
07/08/2005 06:28 AM
Kentucky
G
grasssnake Offline
grasssnake  Offline
G
Kentucky
I am ready to prepare for survival. Where is a good site to start on learning?

II Cor 5:21
Re: New Forum Area? Thoughts on "Survivalists"... #98306
07/08/2005 07:09 AM
07/08/2005 07:09 AM
behind you
D
dreadstalker Offline
NCO Contributor
dreadstalker  Offline
NCO Contributor
D
behind you
here is a couple of sites to check out
http://foragingpictures.com/
it is a excellent viual giude to edible plants and mushrooms
http://www.backwoodshome.com
actually it is a self reliance and homesteaders mag. but there is alot of info to be gained there.also mossad ayyob is a column writer there i belive most of you gun nuts(arent we all)will be familiar with his name.

then there is ron hoods site i have lost his addy but a search should pop his name without any problems

if you don't care for those sites run a google on survivalism or primitive technologies

LIVE FREE---DIE WELL
Re: New Forum Area? Thoughts on "Survivalists"... #98307
07/08/2005 09:30 AM
07/08/2005 09:30 AM
dfw tx
I
iron mike Offline
iron mike  Offline
I
dfw tx
Grasssnake- here's a couple more to get you started.
http://survival-center.com/
http://www.alpharubicon.com/index2.html
http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/survival-lib.html
http://www.joeant.com/DIR/info/get/5762/19087

TO all- I strongly reccomend the BHM whole shebang offer It's 10 yrs of paperback anthologies & about a dozen CD ROMs.
Get everyone in your group to pony up the 20% - 10% of the cost. Damned good investment, lots of information on homesteading, (think safe place to stash away your families under the care & protection of the older, less mobile IE Grampa & Uncle Bob)

Much of this can be adapted to our use, like stealth gardening, Preparing potential AOs by planting seed potatoes, encouraging cat tails & other native edible plants to grow more profusely in addition to caching almost ready to eat food & equipment. Think about alfalfa patches & corn to keep the deer & bunnies fat & happy in your area.

Work with & respect the homesteaders / survivalists in or near your AO. They may be able to offer haven to your wounded during convelesence. They may be good sources of intelligence. Most will not be able to withstand an attack by a large force. If you've had positive dealings with them then you should be willing to offer assistance in driving off looters.
TRADE! DO NOT TAKE!
Don't crowd them or bring the fight to their door if you can help it. Many will have limited alternative power sources, Exchange rechargable batteries with them. Some will have tools & workshops that can repair your broken gear.

MOLAN LABE!
Re: New Forum Area? Thoughts on "Survivalists"... #98308
07/09/2005 07:41 AM
07/09/2005 07:41 AM
KY
N
nedwreck Offline OP
nedwreck  Offline OP
N
KY
Originally posted by Hawker:
Ned, Dick.... good to "see" ya'll again, I'm lookin' forward to the Creek Meet in October!
Say "Hey" to Sharpstick and Kaintuck for me!
:salute:

Glad ta see ya, too. Great stuff in your posts!

Moderated by  airforce, ConSigCor 

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.