07/12/2006 06:48 AM
Tulsa
airforce Online content OP
Administrator
airforce  Online Content OP
Administrator
Tulsa
Posted by: airforce Oct 13 2005, 11:35 AM
Most "survival" books I've read recommend storing wheat as your major grain. One book even specifies 350 pounds of wheat for each family member for a year. How the authors arrived at that number, I don't know. I have to believe they've actually tried a diet that rich in wheat--but if they have, they must have a gastrointestinal system far stronger than mine. (Also, the rest of their diet is notably absent of meat.)

Like everything else in this series of articles, what you choose for your major grain must be your choice, based on your own family's needs and likes. Our family certainly includes wheat in our diet--quite a bit, actually--but our major grain is rice.

Rice goes well with just about any meal. Any stew or soup can be served over rice to extend it. Chili served over rice is delicious, and beans and rice just naturally go together. I can't think of a more versatile food.

(I have even seen a family eating rice topped with peanut butter as their entire meal. They seemed to like it and I'm sure it was nutritious, but I would have to be really, really hungry to try that combination!)

One of the reasons for this series is to help you live well while living cheaply. Rice certainly does that. In my area, white rice sells in grocery stores for about 35 cents a pound (plus sales tax, from which groceries in Oklahoma are not exempt). If you go to warehouse stores like Sam's Club, you can get it even cheaper. How's that for living economically?

One of the drawbacks of rice is that it will not last as long as wheat. Rice should be stored in airtight containers. Like all of your survival foods, supplies should be rotated.

Brown rice will go bad after 6 to 18 months, depending on temperature and humidity. And, be aware of what kind of rice you are getting. Italian arborio and Japanese glutinous rices are supposed to stick together.

Cooking Rice

1. If the rice is 1" deep or less: Push your finger through the rice to the bottom of the pot, and see how far up your finger the rice extends.

2. Briefly saute the rice in a little oil. This will help make the rice non-gummy.

3. Just barely touch the top of the rice with your finger, and add water until it comes as high up your finger as the rice did.

4. If the rice is deeper than 1": Saute the rice as above, and add water until it is one inch above the level of the rice.

5. Cover the pot and heat. When steam begins to come out from under the lid, take the pot off the heat for five minutes.

6. Cook on the lowest heat setting for another 25 minutes. Do not lift the lid until the rice is done.

7. Let the rice cool for 10 minutes. Stir and serve.

Hints for Cooking Rice

1. Use a heavy pot with a tight-fitting lid. (Don't tell my wife, but the reason I married her is because her cookware was better than mine.)

2. Don't overcook the rice. That will make it sticky.

3. Don't stir the rice while it's cooking. That will make it really gummy.

4. Don't use too much water.

5. Brown rice and short-grained rices take longer to cook. If your rice is tough, it wasn't cooked long enough.

-----

here's a couple recipes to get you started:

Dandelion Greens and Rice

3 Cups chopped young dandelion greens (or any other cooking green).

1 Handful chopped onions

2 Cups stock or soup broth

2 Cups cooked left-over rice

1 Teaspoon butter or oil, salt, and pepper to taste

Simmer the greens in stock or soup until tender. Add rice and continue to simmer until warm throughout. Add the rest of the ingredients, stir, and serve. this is a cheap springtime side dish.

Red Kidney Beans and Rice

2 1/4 Cups dry red kidney beans (about one pound)

1 Cup chopped onion

4 Cloves minced garlic

1 Bay leaf

1 1/2 Teaspoon salt

1 Teaspoon crushed fennel seed

1 Teaspoon ground red pepper

4 Cups hot cooked rice

Soak the beans by placing them in a bowl with five or six cups of water. Cover, and let sit for about 8 hours, or overnight. Drain the beans, and rinse.

Put the beans in a large pot. Add onion, garlic, bay leaf, salt, fennel, red pepper, and six cups water. Bring to boiling, reduce heat, and cover. Continue to simmer for about 2 1/2 hours, or until the beans are tender, stirring occasionally, and adding more water if necessary. Uncover and simmer for another 15 or 20 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally. throw out the bay leaf, and serve over the hot rice. This recipe serves between 4 and 8 people, depending on how hungry everyone is.

-----

Our family keeps about 1000 pounds of rice in storage. Since the number of grandkids on hand tends to fluctuate, this is either too much for one year or barely enough. Again, only you can determine what your own needs are and take action accordingly.

And, as always, your thoughts, ideas, and criticisms are welcome.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Posted by: CPTConn Oct 15 2005, 09:26 PM
I like rice. We better get use to it cause all those chinks wanting to fight with us will be carrying it in their packs and I intend on eating my preys food!!!

Re: Family Preparedness: Rice #98397
10/10/2008 02:40 PM
10/10/2008 02:40 PM
Tulsa
airforce Online content OP
Administrator
airforce  Online Content OP
Administrator
Tulsa
Bump.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Moderated by  airforce, ConSigCor 

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.