Posted by: EastCentralMSMilitia Dec 17 2005, 02:47 AM
Ok, how stupid do I really think you are????
Actually.....
well....
I really don't.

I think ALL dispatchers are complete idiots until they prove me wrong.
That's why I'm going to do this part on "Dialing 911".

I know this is a "pre-SHTF" subject, but until "IT" happens.........

I know, "we don't dial 911". I've read the bumper sticker too.

But, what if you have a problem which can be easily handled by "911", but not by you???
Like a wreck you witnessed, heart attack, fire.

911 can be a help so I'd advise using them for now. After all, you're paying for it anyway.
----------------------------------------------
Ok, we all know that in "normal" times if you need assistance you can pick up the phone and dial 9-1-1. But what happens when you dial that number???

If you live in a rural area of the country like I do, your call might be re-routed to another department or handled by the 911 center.
Then...
Whatever department you need will be dispatched to your location.

Either way, there's a couple of things you should remember.

1st,
it's gonna be at least 10 minutes before any police, fire, EMS show up.
Be prepared to handle the situation as best you can for at least that long.

2nd,
the dispatcher will likely try to keep you on the line so further information can be obtained.
Almost all 911 calls are tape recorded.
You do not want to hang up if you might need a record of the events later. (such as court)
You should hang up if you do not want a record of the events later. (such as court)

3rd,
you need to know what information is vital.
Just like a SALUTE report, the information you give to the dispatcher is very important. Keep it simple and try to be as clear as you can.

Here's a good guide....

1) Immediately state what your problem is.
"My house is on fire". Pause to allow the dispatcher to process this information.
At this point you might be transferred to a fire dispatcher or he/she might handle it themself.

2) Tell them where you are.
E-911 is nice, but with cellular phones and folks moving, you're better off telling them.
Give the address and road/street. Give any landmarks and how they are relative. "I'm two houses North of the AnyTown post office on the right".
If you are on a cellphone and reporting an accident, give the road/hwy, mile marker number closest to accident, and direction of travel of the vehicles involved.

3)Make sure you are understood.
Some dispatchers are either non-american born or are used to listening in "ebonics" and have a hsrd time with real english.
Speak calmly and slowly.
Use phonetic alphabet if needed. IE.. instead of saying "the license number is SPB163" you should say "the license number is Sam Paul Boy 1 6 3".
Use phonetic numerals. IE.. instead of "one sixty three", say "one - six - three".
This will eliminate the "spoken" similarities between words, letters, and numbers.

4)Give details.
It helps a lot to know if there are three people in a MVC who are hurt badly.
That tells dispatch how many ambulances to send.

5)Do all you can to remedy the problem prior to arrival of emergency workers, but don't forget your life is not expendable.

Finally,
Most states have "good samaritan laws" so you can't get sued for trying, but if yours doesn't, just don't give your name to anyone except the law officers.
Don't be afraid to get involved.
And, be careful.
Dead heroes make poor fathers/mothers/husbands/wives/sons/daughters.

The rest you have already heard or read.

This was short and likely redundant, but having dealt with several calls in the last three days where a bit more details would have been mighty helpful, I had to tell somebody.

More on Preparedness next time......