Print Thread
BoB help #99846
02/15/2009 09:51 AM
02/15/2009 09:51 AM
Iraq
7.62x39 militiaman Offline OP
7.62x39 militiaman  Offline OP
Iraq
So I'm working on assembling a few bugout bags. The problem I'm having is I'm not sure where to start. What do you have in yours? Got pics? Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm only looking for something to get me home within a few days in the event of an emergency. Thanks in advance!

7.62x39 militiaman
Re: BoB help #99847
02/15/2009 11:53 AM
02/15/2009 11:53 AM
New York State
S
survivorjl Offline
NCO Contributor
survivorjl  Offline
NCO Contributor

S
New York State

He who endures until the end...

http://calltodecision.com/forum/index.php
Re: BoB help #99848
02/15/2009 01:06 PM
02/15/2009 01:06 PM
North Carolina
S
safetalker Offline
safetalker  Offline
S
North Carolina
Militiaman
Are you going alone or do you have a family? If alone a man can live with just about anything. Where are you going to. That is what you need to know to pack a bag.
If you are reporting for duty then your unit already has a list. If just going to hide out then you need to know where, what is available in the area, and what is already cached in the area.
The most important to know is how you will get there. How much can YOU carry for how far.

Re: BoB help #99849
02/15/2009 03:39 PM
02/15/2009 03:39 PM
Iraq
7.62x39 militiaman Offline OP
7.62x39 militiaman  Offline OP
Iraq
Safetalker, it's only my wife and I. I would be making her own for herself. My goal is to have something to get me from where I'm at to either home or my "spot" to gather other supplies. I'm looking for something about the size of a backpack, just something simple.

7.62x39 militiaman
Re: BoB help #99850
02/16/2009 03:35 AM
02/16/2009 03:35 AM
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
ConSigCor Online content
ConSigCor  Online Content
A 059 Btn 16 FF MSC
The Essential Bug Out Bag

The Bug Out Bag is meant to be the emergency supplies bag you grab on your way out the door. Better yet, it should be carried in your vehicle at all times just in case you can’t make it home to grab your stuff.

Every member of your household or team must have a Bug out Bag pre assembled and ready to go at a moments notice. A Bug Out Bag has only one purpose, to provide you with the essentials needed to keep you alive and your weapon going for 72 hours while you get out of harms way. Some people will tell you that you have to carry a “max-pedition” ruck. They will load it down with everything including the kitchen sink then wonder why they can’t go a mile with their 120 pounds of junk. You need to be highly mobile so travel light. Limit your weight to 20-35 pounds. Carry only what you need to relocate to your safe house or cache site.

Remember the purpose of bugging out is to exit the area quickly and safely. Keep everything discreet. Blend in with the people. Drop the overtly military look.

Gear

You will need a 3-day pack or a shoulder bag to carry your supplies, food and spare clothing. The German mountain ruck with a heavy rubberized bottom and two side pockets is a steal at $10. A vest and a heavy belt are a good way to carry essential gear in case you have to drop the pack. A set of Bdu's, Cargo pants, and work shirt in solid colors such as tan, od green, grey or dark blue should be kept in the pack. Survival gear such as a first aid kit, fire starting equipment and toilet paper can be carried in your "bug out" clothing.

You need to concentrate on 6 key areas:
1. Food
2. Basic sanitation
3. Medical
4. Fire starting/Light
5. Communication /Navigation
6. Self-Defense

Food:
Buy a case of MRE’s. Take 3-6 MRE’s out of their cardboard case and strip them down to the essentials to save weight and space. Add 5 or 6 energy bars and seal in a ziplock bag.

Basic Sanitation:
Toilet paper, baby wipes, water purification tablets

Medical:
Small pouch
ACE bandage
6 pack of “BC” aspirin powders
1 Israeli Battle Dressing
antihistimine
Imodioum AD
rehydration pacs
antiseptic ointment
bandages
deet

Firestarting / Light:
Tactical flashlight with 3 sets of batteries, box of wooden matches, 2 BIC lighters, 2 emergency candles, Alcohol soaked dryer lint in pill bottle

Tools:
Leatherman tool, sheath knife or large folder, 25-50 feet 550 cord, roll of electrical tape, basic weapons cleaning kit

Communication / Navigation:
VHF 2-meter handheld radio with ½ wave flex antenna and 3 sets of batteries
Scanner with spare batteries
local map, note pad and pencil,

Self Defense:
Rifle case (discreet) Don’t carry a case that screams “gun”.
Rifle - lightweight, short semi-auto such as a M4 or short barrel AK with folding stock
6 magazines with ammo
180 round battle pack in bandolier
spare parts - firing pin, extractor, and related springs
handgun, holster, 4 magazines with ammo

Misc:
Poncho with insulated liner...doubles as a sleeping bag
Light wind breaker, 2 pair spare heavy work socks

"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861
Re: BoB help #99851
03/05/2009 11:16 AM
03/05/2009 11:16 AM
27th FF, 1st Batt.
M
Mannlicher Offline
Mannlicher  Offline
M
27th FF, 1st Batt.
One mistake folks make is in over estimating what they need for a day or so.
If your destination is not that far, you really don't need a ton of stuff. Simple is not only easier, but better in many cases.

Nemo me impune lacesset
Re: BoB help #99852
03/05/2009 03:01 PM
03/05/2009 03:01 PM
Slipping the surly bonds of ea...
F
Flight-ER-Doc Offline
Flight-ER-Doc  Offline
F
Slipping the surly bonds of ea...
We (my wife and I) did things a little differently. Our BoB's are in our (respective) vehicles, and when we worked in the city had everything we might need to get home from work (which was quite a long distance).

So, the BoB's had changes of clothes to start with, food, shelter, medical gear, you name it. The plan was we would grab the BoB, and get to some place we could change into appropriate clothes - and then start walking.

We also had a couple of U-store it units (one by her hospital, one by mine) that had enough stuff for us to shelter in place for as long as a month (with an expedient fallout shelter made from stacked bags of concrete), camping stove and fuel, weapons (California legal of course), more clothes, water, communications gear, etc.

One thing we still do is we have a sealed box of ammo in each vehicle that has a reasonable amount of ammo in different calibers. We were at the range in California the day the Rodney King jury came back, and had to drive through the riots. Lots of weapons, but we had shot up all our ammo...we won't make that mistake again! We take that ammo out and shoot it every six months and replace it, since the vibrations from the car can (theoretically) cause the grain structure of the powder to break down, causing higher than safe pressures. So far we've never noticed a problem but why not be safe?

Emergency Medicine - saving the world from themselves, one at a time.

"Thou shalt not be a victim, thou shalt not be a perpetrator, but, above all, thou shalt not be a bystander."

I make the ADL soil themselves. And that makes me very happy smile
Re: BoB help #99853
08/01/2009 07:44 AM
08/01/2009 07:44 AM
Maine
S
SF Medic Offline
SF Medic  Offline
S
Maine
These are the items that I carry in my Backpack Survival Kit. Also, there is really no difference between this and a Bug-Out Bag, except for carrying ammunition and weapons cleaning kit.

How much ammo do you carry with you. What I am going to do is carry enough for 2 combat reloads for both my pistol and rifle.

I have 8 15 round and 1 10 round magazines for my pistol. This is 130 rounds that are in magazines ready to go. So 2 combat reloads for my pistol would be 260 rounds in my backpack.

For my rifle, it has a fixed box 10 round magazine. All of the bullets for this weapon are on stripper clips. I have a bandoleer that carries 100 rounds on strippers. So 2 combat reloads for this rifle would be 200 additional rounds in the backpack.

Another example would be currently the US Army carries 210 rounds in magazines ready to go. So to apply this, the soldier would have to carry another 420 rounds in his backpack to get the 2 combat reloads.

Some friends of mine out in Kansas City liked to carry the FN. This weapon fires the .308 round and has 20 round magazine. They would carry anywhere's from 6 to 8 magazines. So you can see, that they would be carrying anywhere's from 240 to 320 additional rounds in their packs.

The rifle you carry with you while you are in a Bug-Out situation may be anywhere's from a .22 all the way up to the .308's. So whatever you decide is up to you. Just make sure you can carry all of that ammo and other supplies with you.

*FIELD RATIONS
*FISHING KIT
*MEDICAL KIT
*PERSONAL HYGIENE KIT

AA Batteries
AAA Batteries
Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil
Balaclava
Boot Laces
Chem Sticks
Compass
Container for water
Cook Set
Cotton Balls soaked in Petro Jelly
Cup
"D" Ring, (4)
Duct Tape
Collapsible Fishing Pole
Flashlight
Fuel for Stove
Gloves
Glue Stick (hot glue gun type)
GMRS Radio
Ground Cloth
Hammock
Handkerchief
Head Lamp
Insect Repellent
Lighter
100 feet of Lightline (250# test line)
Folded Loaf Pans, (2)
Long Sleeve Shirt
Magnesium Fire Starter
Map
Mini Bino's
Multi Tool
P-38 Can Opener
Pace Counting Beads
Paper
Para Cord, 75 feet
Pencil
Penlight
Pocket Saw
Polypro Bottom
Polypro Top
Protractor
Rain Gear
Safety Pins
Sewing Awl
Sewing Needles
Sewing Thread
Sharpening Stone
Sheath Knife
Signal Mirror
Skull Cap
Small Candle
Socks
Space Blanket
Spare Flashlight Bulb
Spork
Stove
Sunblock
Sunglasses
Tarp
Tinder
Trousers
T-shirt
Underwear
Water Purfication Tabs
Waterproof Matches
Whistle
Windscreen
Wire
Wristwatch
Ziplock Bags

*MEDICAL KIT
4X4 Gauze Pads, Alcohol Prep Pads, Aspirin, Band-Aids, Battle Dressing, Benadryl, Blood Clotter, Cravat, EMT Scissors, J-tube, Medical Gloves, Medical Tape, Motrin, Roller Gauze, Triple Antibiotic Ointment, Tweezers, Tylenol

*FIELD RATIONS
16oz Drink Packets, Bullion Cubes, Crackers, Dried Fruits, Emergency Food Bars, Freeze Dried Foods, Granola Bars, Hard Candy, Instant Coffee, Instant Soup, Jelly, Jerkey, MRE's, Nuts, Oatmeal, Peanut Butter, Pepper Packets, Power Bars, Salt Packets, Sugar Packets, Tea, Trail Mix

*FISHING KIT
1/4oz Spoon, 50ft 12# Fishing Line, 50ft 20# Fishing Line, 50ft 30# Fishing Line, Assorted Fishing Hooks, Assorted Flies, Bobber, Grub Jig, Salmon Eggs, Shad Jig, Snap Swivel, Split Shot, Treble Hooks, Tube Jig, Wire Leader

*PERSONAL HYGIENE KIT
Comb, Dental Floss, Foot Powder, Shampoo, Soap, Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Washcloth

Doc
Re: BoB help #99854
08/01/2009 10:20 AM
08/01/2009 10:20 AM
Western NE
S
SSG Nod Offline
SSG Nod  Offline
S
Western NE
^^ I have all that plus a 9v battery and some 000 steel wool, and an AR7 with 200rds.

Maybe a few more or less odds and ends. It varies from season to season.

20yrs of federal service have taught me how to protect myself from my employer. However, I'd Do It Again For Love Of My Country!

If you don't VOTE you have no right to B!@#H!
Re: BoB help [Re: survivorjl] #169363
02/05/2019 09:09 PM
02/05/2019 09:09 PM
121 Batt/21FF
cbtdoc2002 Offline
cbtdoc2002  Offline
121 Batt/21FF
I know its an old post but the above is a dead link. do we have any updates?

Ne Desit Virtus
Let Valor Not Fail!

Moderated by  airforce, ConSigCor 

©>
©All information posted on this site is the private property of the individual author and AWRM.net and may not be reproduced without permission. © 2001-2020 AWRM.net All Rights Reserved.