Originally posted by airforce:
Originally posted by Flight-ER-Doc:
[b] Better have a better plan than wait for some other country to come save your ass.
Or even waiting for your own.

Imagine you are an eight-man militia squad coming into a town, village, or subdivision with 300 survivors, many of them injured. What would you do?

From the looks of things, water seems to be in pretty short supply--and if you don't have water, you have nothing. A healthy person needs about two gallons of water a day for drinking, cooking, and basic hygiene. The sick and injured, and those who are working, will need more.

Since I'm a member of your squad, I have with me two British Berkefeld water filters. That's good for about fifty or sixty gallons of water a day (provided the water has first been pre-filtered to remove the chunky stuff). You figure you need about a thousand gallons a day.

What would you do?

Onward and upward,
airforce [/b]
If I was in charge, and addressing only the water issues, I'd first establish security for the squad, locate whoever was in charge in the town, have whatever resources (the filters) we had that were useful put into play, do a quick survey to confirm the reports, report to higher that more resources were needed, and offer some advice to the locals on how to build expedient filters (sand, charcoal, etc) and boil water. If water is not potable there are lots of ways besides a store-bought filter to fix it.

Why is local water not drinkable? Is it simply a broken part? Generator out of fuel? Something that can easily be fixed?

Or is the water contaminated so badly that it simply can't be cleaned up? If so, then the only option is for the town to evacuate. Life sucks.

Emergency Medicine - saving the world from themselves, one at a time.

"Thou shalt not be a victim, thou shalt not be a perpetrator, but, above all, thou shalt not be a bystander."

I make the ADL soil themselves. And that makes me very happy smile