Originally posted by Flight-ER-Doc:
My wife's brother is a Canadian Army staff officer...and he's on the ground in Haiti, right now.

I just heard him being interviewed on the news...he described how some of the Haitians in the neighborhood he was surveying had formed a group - they called it the 'assistance committee' or something and was trying to take care of their neighbors, and neighborhood. At that moment they were collecting a list of survivors from the neighborhood. They've also had to chase off some looter types, and have rescued the people they could reach.

Sounds like a Militia to me.
Sounds like one to me, too. smile

Good responses. this is not the rainy season in Haiti, but I would have at least a few able-bodied folks work on some way to collect rainwater.

Then, fuel becomes the important thing. True, you can make water safe by treating it with bleach or iodine, but you probably only have limited supplies of these (if youhave any at all), and they are probably best used for caring for the sick and injured.

That means heating water, either to boil it (probably your only real option at this point), or distilling it. I would probably work on digging a fire pit and covering it with some sort of metal grate, and collecting firewood.

Then comes setting up facilities for field hygiene. Survival is definitely labor-intensive. frown

Onward and upward,
airforce