Originally posted by Folcwine01:
Now, Airforce, they say if you end one bad habit, you will always start another... so whats your new vice going to be?
Funny you should ask. I was just thinking that I'm running out of vices. I quit drinking alcohol 25 years ago, and I gave up my 30-cup-a-day coffee habit a little while ago (after a trip to the hospital emergency room). I don't know what I'm going to replace cigarettes with. I may have to start looking at pictures of nekkid women again.

Anyway, I have now been smoke-free eight hours and fifty minutes. In that time, I have had one stick of ordinary gum, two Tootsie Roll Pops (both happened to be cherry flavored), and I'm now chewing my third 4mg Nicorette gum.

Speaking of which, I had a little trouble at first trying to figure out how long to chew the gum. The directions say to chew "slowly" about 15 times, until you feel a "tingle" or "peppery" taste.

My problem was, I still don't know how "slowly" to chew it, and I wasn't getting any of those tingles or tastes. I think I've figured it out now--I pretty much chew it normally until I get a subtle change in taste. It's still pretty subtle, and I'm not at all sure that's the change their describing in their literature, but it seems to be working. Maybe it just takes practice.

I've had about three tough times so far, and both were predictable. I always light up--er, used to light up--while driving, so getting out of the parking lot at work took some willpower.

Likewise, while doing the outside perimeter security check. I used to sneak in two or three quick smokes while doing this.

And, of course, I always used to eat a cigarette while sitting down at the computer. Well, not this time. smile

So far, there's a little more than a pack of smokes I haven't smoked. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Onward and upward,
airforce