The intention of this post was not really for my location. I don't own my home and I don't have a bugout location of my own frown . I have good hiding places, however. I thought it would be helpful to everyone, and I hope it is.

Wind isn't a real viable option here. The water wheel, however, is. The key to the alternator is gear ratio(I think).

Put a water wheel in a small creek, and you're not going to get more than 100 rpm. If an engine idles around 700 rpm...and the alternator turns at approximately 2-3 times the engine speed, you're going to have to have some serious overdrive.

Using bicycle cogs, driving a 50 tooth with the water wheel, and a 7 tooth on the other end, you end up with a gear ratio of 1:7.14, a 7 to 1 overdrive. The 7 tooth cog drives another set of 50 driving, 11 driven and you get 1:4.55.

If my calculations are correct, you can turn the alternator at 1,949 rpm with 60 rpm input. I have no idea what kind of force would be required to drive that.

I may be completely overthinking this, too. I once ran into a mess with a Mustang I had. When I bought the car, I was given a long list of modifications. Omitted were the underdrive pulleys(factory-appearing ones.)

The alternator failed and I replaced it. The one I purchased had a pulley installed, so I turned my core in. After 3 replacement alternators didn't quite charge enough, I mentioned it to the previous owner. I had explored all other options, and he asked if I retained the underdrive pulley.

That little difference in RPM caused by a pulley 1/2" larger in diameter caused my lights to dim and stereo to kick off at idle. A replacement UD pulley and I was good to go.

Before anyone bashes me, I went through the rounds with load testing batteries, checking Vd on cables, parasitic current draw, etc.

Para: You're absolutely right, a poorly placed windmill, hydro setup or solar panel could prove to be a "here I am" sign when SHTF.

Thanks everyone for their contributions, please correct me if this stuff doesn't make sense.

Keep the change.

In the Wasatch National Forest of Utah, 504 sheep were killed by a single bolt of lightning. Sheep huddle in storms and the lightning bolt passed from one animal to another.