Thanks Safetalker, you've given me some good things to think about. I'll need to get a frame for my bed to get the mattress up off the floor, then that could become a decent storage area. Also, pardon me if I ask stupid questions, I'm pretty new to all this preparation stuff.
As for how long I will stay, here's my situation I've thought of. I live on Long Island. On any typical day, there are esentially a handful of ways to get off the island-
1.through the tunnel, through the city, and through another tunnel.
2. Across a bridge, around the city, followed by possibly another bridge.
3. A ferry.
4. Swim.
60-70% of the time, all of those avenues of "escape" are extremely congested. In a situation like tsunami or anything where we needed to evacuate, I imagine it only becoming worse. I figure I would need to at LEAST camp out at home for 1-2 weeks, possibly 3 before looking for a way to evac. So, considering space considerations, my goal is to have 3 weeks of food STORED for each member of the family.
Also, what types of food are best to store for emergencies that won't go bad? While I can eat ramen noodles, canned goods, etc...with the acception of rice and beans they are not regular staples of my diet, and I don't intend them to be, simply as emergency foods. I follow a pretty healthy diet primarily on fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, cheese, milk, potatoes, rice and beans, eggs, and meat. Most of that stuff can not be stored longer than 4-5 days. So, in an emergency my normal diet is out and survival diet is in. What foods are best to keep long term if I'm not going to be rotating?

"Knowing is not enough, one must do. Willing is not enough, one must apply"- Bruce Lee