More from Mike V.

Some logistics lessons learned from the Oath Keepers Bundy Ranch effort.

These observations are from my own time on the ground there and I am not taking the time to put them in any particular order. But since the OKs will be "after-actioning" the Bundy effort I offer them here as someone with twenty years experience in supporting militia FTXs.

There should be a logistics platoon of old farts in every AO ready to roll with a modicum of food, water, and support equipment (everything from spare batteries, to toilet paper to garbage bags). Other small support units should be formed around the needs for commo and medical.

These support functions should be set up off property, delivering supplies as needed per command requisition only -- all requisitions being funneled through an S-4 at the CP. Storage off-property allows the use of existing structures where wastage from heat, humidity, rain water, rodents and insects as well as shrinkage (read "theft") can be minimized. All property should be receipted for upon delivery at the off-site supply dump and a simple log of deliveries of what to whom and when should be maintained.

While canned and fresh food will be donated, it ought to be prepared off-site in modern kitchens and delivered ready to eat. The volunteers should get at least one hot meal a day, preferably two. In addition, MREs and freeze-dried rations ought to be stocked up on, making it easier to deliver and distribute throughout the perimeter to the various positions, especially those who cannot easily get in for hot chow. This prevents the sort of irregular availability and poor sanitary conditions I observed at the "chow hall." (On site food preparation is also subject to harassing inspections by local authorities. I had two great fears from observing the "chow hall" in action at Bunkerville -- that we would end up with an outbreak of dysentery and that the local health authorities would raid the place and shut it down, perhaps confiscating supplies.

Volunteers who have experience in humanitarian relief operations by churches and other civic groups following disasters ought to be sought out. Indeed, I wonder if there isn't a place for the direct engagement of local churches as support nodes for storage and food preparations. Would the Feds really interdict humanitarian relief on its way to the site? If so, they score a huge PR black eye for themselves. MREs and freeze-dried foods as well as bottled water could be placed in a single supply dump adjacent to (and under the watchful eyes of) the CP in case of such disruptions.

Significant equipment items (radios, surveillance electronics, etc.) ought to be hand-receipted for by the operator, making them responsible for its return. If an item is to remain in a position as teams rotate in and out, the man who receipted for it will in turn get a quick signature on another small form from his relief. If the item turns up missing, the man who last receipted for the equipment is responsible for its replacement -- no excuses, no exceptions. This is not a deal supported by the vast resources if Uncle Sugar and both leaders and volunteers have a duty to see that equipment is not stolen.

The supply platoon would perforce have its own transportation fleet of volunteer pick-ups with drivers and would not be subject to being hijacked from their main purpose at a commander's whim except in cases of operational NECESSITY. This is not to say that they can't be used to convey volunteers to the site or to take tired men off-site back to clean sheets and showers, if available. But stripping the support platoon of its transportation on a regular "hey let's go do this" basis only degrades the entire operation.

Having a supply platoon also implies organization and chain of command. Yeah, I know, we're all volunteers, but anybody who can't live by the ROE and SOP ought to be shown the door.

There's more, I know, but right now I'm exhausted. More later as I think of it and I invite your comments, especially those who were at the Bundy Siege.

"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861