I'm a Canadian so the Bundy deployment wasn't really up to me.

However, there exists a need to establish a supply circuit for any domestic deployment.

For example, if you deploy, you need to deploy with a Grand Cherokee, Blazer, Expedition, or similar vehicle. That vehicle needs to be set up to transport driver and one passenger. Every two people need one large cUV-style vehicle (for this reason an SUV capable of rough travel is more important than a camper which can't drive fast on a dirt roads. The most luxurious camper is no good if it can't get there.

That vehicle needs several cases of 24 bottles of water. There are price differences. Nestea and the local bargain basement water will be different in price, but really, as long as it doesn't have bird dung in it, it's fine. No need for San Pelligrino or Voss. For every man, for every three days of deployment, you need 36 bottles of 1/2L size. If you are planning to deploy for a week, you need 84 1/2L bottles per person. I can fit eight in my Jeep and still carry most battle ready equipment.

If you don't have water, you will be competing with hundreds of people who plan to drink beer, Coke or have the idea that they'll filter water from available sources. For me, training in the desert teaches you that if you don't bring it, it doesn't exist. Even if there are rivers, sloughs or streams, they will be rapidly exhausted. If an attack occurs, and you're sitting on the shoreline with a Sweetwater filter, filling your Camelbak, you are not combat ready. I keep a Sweetwater and a Lifestraw on hand, but they aren't designed to keep a 12 man team in the high desert ready. If everybody has a Lifestraw that's good, but again, if there are hundreds of people and everybody has the plan to drink out of local streams, you're SOL. Especially if there are no streams in the AO.

In addition to water, there should be for each person, sufficient rations to deploy for 10 days, or longer. If the situation develops into a battle, or your deployment is longer than expected. Get foods like lifeboat rations (basically a nutritious sugar cookie) or Datrex bars which do not make you thirsty. A Datrex bar is dry and I always want a swig or two of water to wash it down, but their nutritional content will keep you fighting. In addition to lifeboat or Datrex bars, bring civilian food you like to eat. If you like sardines, crackers and cheese, bring it. Don't be obligated to show up with a dozen MH ration pouches and plan to eat them every meal. I've had IMPs for 3 days straight on times and if you plan to take a bowel movement, you may have difficulty (which results in headaches, dizziness and general maliase).

In any deployment, there will be a need to resupply the troops who are on the ground. If you deploy, there needs to be a set program of supporters who can deliver loads of equipment. For example, if you have a f/t job and can't make it to a deployment because you have to feed your family and can't just leave work, you might make arrangements with your unit who is deploying to get the location of your positions and be able to drive to your position and unload supplies.

The GMC Safari vans are 4x4 and if you can find one still mechanically sound, you may want to buy one, strip the insides and use it as a resupply vehicle. They are old, but my neighbor had one.

Also, remember that civilians don't typically eat MRE/IMP rations. Your resupply needs to include things like high-protein canned goods, roughage (for example, a bushel of apples or a case of canned veggies), vitamin rich foods, fresh cheese, powdered or canned milk, candy, etc. Basically, if your wife will buy it and bring it home, you want to have it available in the field.

This all goes out the window if every platoon shirks their responsibility to field their unit. I know a lot of LDS people. Good folk. Responsible. When one of them holds a party, some show up with a case of Coke, others show up with a couple dozen buns from their oven. That's how it should work. Every platoon needs to provide for themselves. Cook groups, fires, stoves, everything related can be best provided at the platoon level. If there are units showing up who figure a 7-11 is their personal supply unit, and they're fifty miles from a 7-11, what happens? Historically, unless you have semi-trailers coming in with supplies, every man needs to have his own food and gear set up on his own.

If there is a platoon of men who have flown in, or who don't have their own gear, we realize the key problem of massive mobilizations. There will no doubt be people expecting a mess hall, barrack blocks, arms depots, etc.

The requirement for a deployment should be (A) food and water, (B) force of arms, (C) operational equipment and (D) cash. ABC are to keep the force in the field. D is to pay local sources and fiscally support the location of the action. If in this fictional Montana deployment, if you ask a farmer to slaughter a cow, it ain't free. If you sleep in somebodies barn, putting their facilities at risk, you should slip them a couple hundreds. Everybody needs to carry 300 dollars in ten and twenty dollar bills in their pocket or money belt.

Finally (I know this is getting long and hard to read) there should be one statement.

If you cannot supply yourself, don't come until that's taken care of. Would you show up to a gunfight and expect somebody else to supply the rifle, ammo, optics and magazine? Would you show up to a wine tasting without a bottle of wine?

CK