I'm looking to fill my ALICE medium with bug out gear, one of the top things on the list is rightfully FOOD.

I have the GI canteen cup/stove/canteen/carrier for heating water and cooking. I'm going to do some "back yard camp cooking" with my boys (11 and 8) to practice some basic skills.

I know MREs are easy and quick, but they are bulky and expensive. Mountain House freeze dried meals are almost as quick/easy, way lighter, but still expensive.

I've seen some ideas on the web, but thought I'd elicite your inputs on this. I'm looking for something I can buy and assemble to pack, rotate out for training and to keep fresh. Light, affordable, not complex to cook in field. Luckily my whole family loves oatmeal, dried fruit and granola. I'm looking to assemble and package in ziploc freezer bags meals complete with condiments and candy bars...

I would like to experiment on some meals before I stock up. I'd hate to find out post SHTF that I should have tried these out a long time ago...

"Government at its best is a necessary evil, and at it�s worst, an intolerable one."
 Thomas Paine (from "Common Sense" 1776)