Lima police and city officials are bunkering down, as almost always happens in these cases. We do now know that Tarika Wilson and her son were shot on the second floor, after police had taken her boyfriend Anthony Terry–the man they were after–into custody. Police still haven’t said what quantity of drugs they found, nor have they mentioned whether Wilson or Terry fired a weapon. I also found this passage pretty troubling:

Questions about the raid continued to swirl around Lima, with Councilman Glenn protesting the way police treated him as both a city official and landlord.

As owner of the house Ms. Wilson rented without incident for a year, Mr. Glenn said he should have been notified that police suspected drug activity there and maybe he could’ve helped.

Mayor David Berger said landlords are not notified about such investigations.

Well, why not? Unless police suspect the landlord is part of the drug operation, why wouldn’t you notify him? Seems to me that talking with a landlord would (a) let him know he has a drug problem in one of his properties, (b) help police verify that the suspect they’re looking for does indeed still live where they think he does, and–I know this is going to sound crazy–but maybe, (c) they could then work with the landlord to get into the unit to conduct the search while no one is home, instead of kicking down doors in the middle of the night while six children are inside.

Onward and upward,
airforce