Most 'SWAT' teams don't deserve the title. Thanks to fed.gov handing out tons of taxpayer money every Mayberry department got funding to create their very own 'swat' team - they got superhypertacticool black clothes (which is why 5.11 makes sizes up to 5XL), body armor, fully auto weapons (the MP5 is a fav), radios, etc.

Once they bought all those toys, some even had money left over to get some training at FLETC.

However, most of that money is long gone, and the departments don't have the budget to maintain the equipment (radios, vehicles) or buy ammo, much less send Bubba and Bubba and Billy to school to maintain the training, or send the FNG's to school. So, the various Barny Fifes get to reinforce each others bad habits, spread bad info, and ignore niceties like getting the right address on a warrant (or finding it when they try to serve the warrant).

While Big-city teams are better, and some drug joint task forces (in wealthy, high-tax base counties or regions) have adequate training budgets and facilities, most don't. I don't want to have to face any of them, but I don;'t think they're invulnerable: I occasionally see the individual officers in my ED after they screw up - and it's them making a mistake far more often than the alleged bad guy hurting them.

As far as body armor goes, it's not necessary to 'melt' kevlar (or spectra or twaron, or whatever the miracle fabric de jour is - it's all some form of aramid)to get past it. I have no idea what point you were trying to make there.

Some of the tactics mentioned will at least slow down and disorient any attacker. There are others that can be used, too. G. Gordon Liddy espoused one way of dealing with armored police back in the 80's on his radio show.

Emergency Medicine - saving the world from themselves, one at a time.

"Thou shalt not be a victim, thou shalt not be a perpetrator, but, above all, thou shalt not be a bystander."

I make the ADL soil themselves. And that makes me very happy smile