Originally posted by Breacher:
It hit $5 per gallon around here in Oregon, I started commuting by bike then the big layoffs started to hit.

Pretty much everyone raised shipping costs at that point and never lowered them much when the fuel prices came back down.

I instituted the personal rule that[b] if I am not making money with it, I don't drive the truck. I break the rule once in a while since I really enjoy driving the truck, but the old thing about driving a truck because it makes you feel good to be the big guy on the road has to go when the fuel prices go up. The bummer is when paying the extra insurance on the econo-car eats up your gas savings. I put less than 5K miles per year on my truck and it is not like the insurance company is cutting me any slack over it.
[/b]
Since I officially retired and am now drawing SS I drive my truck under 4,000 miles in 14 months. Gas had been dropping here lately. It was down to around $1.80 2 months ago but the last 2 weeks it has crept up to basically about 2 bucks a gallon. I don't drive a diesel so rarely look at those prices. I went from 3-4 oil changes a year and 18K miles to 1 oil change per 14 months.

Grass fed Beef..it's what's fer supper July 4th.