Originally posted by Sniper_762X51:
So [b]airforce, I hate putting you on the Hot Seat...[/b]
I've been there before. Trust me on that. wink

...what is your Opinion on the Issues of a Cop [b]Just Doing His Job being an Excuse for the Crimes they Commit. And also do you believe that the Cops who violate the Rights of Citizens by beating almost to death and even sometimes killing them were actually wanted to do the Right Thing but sometimes Shit Just Happens?[/b]
The answer is, there is no excuse. Heck, I won't forgive Thomas Jefferson for the rape of Sally Hemmings or for continuing to own slaves. Thomas Jefferson knew what he was doing is wrong. And so did every other slave owner. So I'm hardly one to accept the excuses of those responsible for crimes committed by our current government.

But let's put most of the blame where it lies. There isn't a cop anywhere in the world who is responsible for the continuation of the War on Drugs. Deep down, most of the cops know that what they're doing is wrong. True, they're enforcing it--but it damn sure wasn't their idea to bust down doors in the middle of the night.

You know who's responsible for that. You probably helped elect some of them.

On rare occasions, you can actually prosecute a police officer for wrongdoing. I've seen it happen, and I've actually helped it happen. But I'd much rather prosecute the politicians and bureaucrats who turned a blind eye (and often, a not-so-blind eye) to what was happening.

Also what is your Opinion of people who actually believe Cops Should be Absolved of their Crimes because they were only taking care of their families and that Cops actually are trying to do the Right Thing when they end up killing Innocent people?
To be honest, I have no opinion whatsoever, unless that person happens to be one of the politicians or bureaucrats I talked about above. It's sad and scary, but I've seen some actually approve of that cop giving out jaywalking tickets to blacks. (Or at least they did, until I pointed out that cop would never do that across the street from City Hall.)

There were people in the North who approved of returning escaped slaves to the South. Again, they knew it was wrong, but they approved of it anyway. And plenty of Europeans--not just Germans--approved of sending Jews to camps.

What do you do with these people? You try to appeal to their sense of right and wrong (something every rational human being has), but it's a lot like ramming your head into a brick wall.

You do what you can. Changing opinions that have been ingrained in people's psyches for decades just isn't easy. But opinions are changing. We're not only making progress, but we're winning. Let's just keep in mind who the enemies really are.

Onward and upward,
airforce