Originally posted by Breacher:
Yeah, I read about the carriers being out to sea at that time, but they were largely unproven too, don't forget their navigation and flight deployment methods were frequently a gamble. The big iron battle wagons though, those could take a lot of hits and still get it on with anything that flew or floated - if ammo was stored near at least the AA guns. Even modernizing those with modern equipment would mean they are no punk on the water. The suicide boat that gutted the Cole would maybe mess up the paint on one of those old battle wagons, that's about it. IIRC, the only way the Japs put them underwater was with multiple large torpedo hits and the torpedo planes had to fly low and slow to get those torpedos in the water right, although I understand gunners had a hell of a time with friendly fire when the planes came in at certain angles and the ship gunners had no safe background for their arcs of fire.

I understand the concept Tuscarora of not wanting to serve with the trash of society, but 90% of prisoners are not rapists or murderers, and even among the killers, half that was gang warfare stuff. We are not talking about sending them to West Point either, put paid, fed, treated with some due respect as they earn it. Sure, many have gang histories of illegal warfare, premeditated killings, stuff you would rather not have going on in your own backyard, but then war is war. Clean guys can go with elite units, your "dirty then thousand dozen" can suck dust in Africa but get shit done. You don't have to even "retire" them back to the US, but a colony country with a "clean slate" as far as the colony laws go with enough resources to civilize the place if they mean it. If they screw that up later, that's on them.

You know what the feds and state law enforcement do already don't you? Train and "educate" most of them just prior to release on how to be informants and agents on behalf of the government. 80% of the felons in the federal system had sourced new felony cases on behalf of the feds at one time or another.

Many like that gossipboy/James Nix character don't really care that much about your rights, its like the bite of the vampire. They get jealous, and want to elevate themselves by pointing the finger at others and getting other people busted for stuff. The government then pays them with a pass on various crimes, free dope, sometimes outright cash payment.

Official military service, patriation to a third "allied" country as free citizens of that country, given resources and trade treaties, but can still be barred from entry to the US without a visa. Its an option which gives freedom and gets rid of many. Others, depending on nature of service, convictions and other criteria would rightfully get full citizenship back on a case by case and legal process basis.

True outlaws are a rare breed even among those with outlaw rated convictions.

Just a thought anyway, probably will not happen. I am just bored and up late posting for something to do.
I work in state prisons. Trust me, the "low key" inmates are just as bad, many are worse. I deal with these guys 16 hrs a day. Biased? Of course I am, but I really do try to "rehabilitate" these people. Society needs to learn that not only can molesters NOT be cured, niether can career criminals.

With state governmaents trying to save money, the only ones getting locked up now or being denied parole are the worst of the worst. All others are given leinient sentancein or grotesquly early parole. They can't handle the freedom they had before they were incarcerated. Now we'll make them fighting men? Just not a good idea. I prefer 10 men of honor and quality over 1000 reprobates. And our lil squad will acomplish a hell of alot more.

You have to ask yourself the difference between "true" Privates and conscripts. Privates (originaly private soldier or free man as opposed to a slave) fight in the name of love. Conscripts fight in self-intrest, even if only to avoid the masters whip.

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." -Jack London