Monroe County, Tennessee, District Attorney Steven Bebb, made my eyeballs explode. But he's just one of the bad guys in this one, in which two Monroe County Sheriff\'s detectives posed as "federal" defense attorneys in order to get incriminating information from the suspect, John Edward Dawson. They even talked Mr. Dawson into refusing to cooperate with his real attorney, and into pleading guilty.

When all this finally became known, his real attorney asked for a continuance, so she could assess the damage. Incredibly, Judge Amy Reed refused the request, saying Mr. Dawson had "picked his poison."

Not surprisingly, the appeals court disagreed (15 pages, pdf format) :

[T]he conduct of the law enforcement officers in this case, and in particular Detective Henry, is so egregious that it simply cannot go unchecked. That Detective Henry would illegally pose as an attorney and arrange the circumstances of the defendant’s case to make it appear as though he had successfully undertaken legal representation of the defendant is abhorrent. That the detective would specifically instruct the defendant not to communicate the relationship to his appointed counsel, in what we can only assume was an effort to enlarge the time for the detective to gain incriminating information from the defendant, renders completely reprehensible the state action in this case. Given the unconscionable behavior of the state actors in this case and the fact that the defendant was essentially prevented from proving prejudice through no fault of his own, we have no trouble concluding that the only appropriate remedy in this case is the dismissal of all the indictments.
DA Bebb not only didn't stop it, he actually somehow persuaded Judge Reed to overlook it:

During a hearing on the issue, Sheriff Bivens testified that he was vaguely aware of Henry’s plot and did not see “a problem with it,” adding, however that “if it’s illegal, of course, I don’t want to do it.” Bivens did not order a probe of Henry’s actions or take any disciplinary action; nor did Bebb initiate charges of impersonating a lawyer.
For sure, John Edward Dawson is no angel. I find it hard to believe that he would be walking around free if they hadn't tried to pull this one off.

Onward and upward,
airforce