You can't fault that. Crazy person leaves piece of luggage with personal junk in it in a public place like that and well, you can't guarantee what it is one way or another.

If I remember correctly, Eric Rudolf did a similar act when emplacing the Olympic Park bomb. A security guard spotted it, saw something off kilter about the act (I think the backpack was newer and cleaner than what a homeless person would have) and saved lives by acting before it blew.

Bunch of well worn but higher quality backpacks at the curb with a raggedy pit bull tied up near them = homeless people are shopping nearby.

Newer piece of cheap luggage set in a spot with maximum human traffic nearby, heck, I would call that one in and start clearing people from the area myself.

Sometimes a dose of reality cures people who want to be stupid and crazy and push other peoples limits of tolerance, sometimes they just plain decided to violate a whole lot of common sense and still push other people's buttons. It seems that Mr Striley found someone elses buttons he decided to screw around with by profiling a bombing attack, did not get reasonable and take a few honest steps to prove the suitcase did not contain any bombs and is going to spend some time in jail. His own fault entirely.

Life liberty, and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Trump: not the president America needs, but the president America deserves.