Another interesting part of the New Madrid story is that in addition to massive flooding along the TVA complex affecting millions (obivously), is that it would probably force a Mississippi River course change. For years like so many other natural events here in the US a 500 year cyclical course change of the River has been long overdue.
In the late 80's the then phone company (Ma Bell) actually had contingency plans for both events...
Many people south of the Old River Structure which forms the head waters of the Atchafalaya River and Basin actually took out flood insurance policies specific to a New Madrid and subsequent Mississippi River change event.
Although I have not been back there in years I understand a new structure has been built to relieve some of the pressure and threat of failure of the orginal stucture.
People not from the region focus on the flooding associated with a River course change but us "locals" see the deeper socio-economic long-term affect. New Orleans and up to Baton Rougue could be relagted to empty cities since they are totally dependant on the River. Commerce, Tourism, and oh drinking water would all just cease to exist partly from salt water intrusion from the Gulf of Mexico. Lafayette and the Port of New Iberia could benifit eventually as they are just west and on "higher" ground. Of course I could go on but you all get the point I hope.
As mentioned by the above article an event like this would literally be Biblical in proportion.
These are trying times and we must be ever Prayerfully watchful and sober on so many levels as the End Times approach. Thanks Patriots!