Originally posted by safetalker:
If we put aside our bibles and looked at the news archives we will find that Deepwater Well BP blew was into the end of this fault.
Back many thousands of years ago what we refer to as the Mississippi River basin was an inland sea. The old tales of the Mastec and Aztec Indians tell of a trade route that went up to around the current site of the Oklahoma Badlands where they picked up large boats to cross the sea to Grand Mother Turtle Island and the trading centers.
In our recent history remember that the new United States sent troops to Tipacanoe to wipe out the Indian government found there.
While you may find Indian villages marked all about the East and West you never see one located near the St Madrid Fault. That is because they understand that the Sea will return one day.
In 18 days the planets will all align. Can you imagine the gravity change going on at this time.
If that fault spreads just 24" every Natural Gas, Oil, and Gasoline Pipeline coming out of Texas will open and pour what ever it is carrying on the ground. The electrical Grid crossing the Mississippi will disconnect and it will get very cold and dark on Grand Mother Turtle Island for a very long time.
The planets aren't going to all align and even if they did, the gravitational forces involved would be miniscule. I've had plenty of physics in my education and the math just doesn't work for what you are saying. Way too far away and gravitational forces dissipate as the inverse square of distance.
IOWs, the moon exerts FAR more force than even Jupiter because it is so close.

As for an inland 'sea', or whatever, I have never heard of that but given the melting of the glacier back around 12000 years ago it wouldn't surprise me at all. Until there is another ice age, I don't think we have too much to worry about from a fault causing an inland sea. Not rapidly anyhow.

The War for America
Fight Everywhere
III