Roughly once a year, the military conducts a training exercise that throws Infowars and other conspiracy-minded websites into fits. This year, it's "Jade Helm 15" that's driving everyone crazy.

The U.S. Army Special Operations Command responded to reports about the upcoming Jade Helm military exercise by characterizing concerns about the drill “alarmist,” but failed to address why Texas and Utah had been labeled “hostile” territory in documents related to the exercise.

As Infowars reported last week, Jade Helm 15, a “realistic” military training exercise which will involve the Green Berets, Navy Seals, and the 82nd Airborne Division, will take place throughout Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah and Colorado from July 15 to September 15.

USASOC spokesman Lt. Col. Mark Lastoria responded to charges that the exercise was part of preparations for martial law by claiming the drills were designed to ready troops for overseas operations.

“That notion was proposed by a few individuals who are unfamiliar with how and why USASOC conducts training exercises,” Lastoria said in an email to Stars and Stripes. “This exercise is routine training to maintain a high level of readiness for Army Special Operations Forces because they must be ready to support potential missions anywhere in the world on a moment’s notice.”

However, USASOCM failed to address the fact that a slide for the exercise characterized Texas and Utah as “hostile” territory and an area of southern California as an “insurgent pocket,” claiming that “computer firewalls prevented them from accessing the websites where the document appeared.” (...)
Back in the Cold War days, we weren't allowed to travel on German roads wearing our MOPP gear, out of fear of alarming the German population. Lord knows, we didn't want to hurt the feelings of the same people who built Auschwitz and Dachau.

I'm not a huge conspiracy buff, so I don't see anything alarming about this. But you know, I'm very happy there are conspiracy nuts out there, because sometimes those nutty theories really are true.

Onward and upward,
airforce