Vader,

Perhaps I look at the situation a little differently, at least with a little less anger.

I assume that we both see government officials elected and appointed at the highest levels that don't follow the laws that everyone else has to follow. When government officials at the highest levels don't follow the rules, one has anarchy.

Criminality and incompetence of the political class are responsible for the police actions. However, the rioters and vandals are completely responsible for the riots. I don't care how angry they might be, they do not have a right to unpeaceful assembly unless they want war.

In reality you are witnessing anarchy because there is no right and wrong to point towards. Their anger should be directed at the criminals that make and break the laws without impunity, the political class and by extension the police which are the enforcers.

Clean up the political class and the police are held to a standard as well. Once you get respect for the leadership and police, you see respect for the citizenship and self control. Then you can hold criminals accountable and the population abides with the rule of law, because there is equal justice under the law.

If this was my neighborhood and it was my store or home that was being burned and the police weren't doing their job protecting my property and life, there just might be a few formally pissed off "pick your race" men that won't be rioting and burning anymore. I will respect their freedom of speech and assembly right up until my rights are affected and there I draw the line.

"Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always Bad Men." Lord Actin 1887

I fear we live in evil times...