Originally posted by Mexneck:
I think it's more than that. I think they're afraid to have citizens be educated that someone stood up to Yankee imperialism.
You're right.

Farah's article is correct, as far as it goes. But, he leaves out several salient points.

The modern democrat party is NOT the democrat party of 1865-1875.

And, the republican party was not the "friend of the negro" as we were all taught. They USED the negro as pawn in a chess game to subjugate the South.

Our military was defeated in 1865; however our government NEVER officially surrendered. In fact our president and his cabinet were captured on their way to Texas. And President Davis was incarcerated for two years...held without trial. The supreme court finally advised the federal government to release him because if Davis was put on trial he stood a strong chance of proving the South had the right to secede. Something the north did not want known.

Furthermore, the South was under martial law and occupation for 10 years after the surrender. It was divided into military districts ruled by a military "governor". Our state legislatures were disbanded and our duly elected representatives replaced by uneducated Negros. Our state militia's were disbanded and replaced by all black units which were used to enforce martial law against the former Confederates. White veterans who had served the Confederacy lost the right to vote AND lost their second amendment rights. All had to swear an oath of allegiance to the federal government or loose all their rights...NOTICE I did not say an oath to the constitution. THESE things are the cause of the racial animosity that came after the war.

We were all taught in school that the Clan was formed to terrorize the Negro. And, Yes there were many atrocities committed against innocent blacks. However, the actual reason the Clan was formed was to wage war against the yankee army of occupation and remove them and their collaborators by any means necessary.

On a personal note:

Most modern Americans don't understand why some in the South still hate the yankee government.

If you go to Vicksburg Miss and walk around the national cemetery you are standing on what was once my families farm. When Grant seized Vicksburg he confiscated it and threw my family out on the street with nothing but the clothes on their back. He told the family servants that he was their "liberator". He liberated them all right; more like stole them for himself. They were "impressed" into the service of the federal army. As one of Grant's subordinates told my kinfolk..."Those people used to be your property. We have freed them. Now they are our niggers." Years later some of the blacks told our family that the yankees treated them worse than my people ever did. They didn't hate my family. They hated the yankee's who freed them, used them and then cast them aside with nothing to go back to.

"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861