I think this guy has it figured out.

“Iran did do it,” Trump told Fox News on Friday, hours after the U.S. military released grainy video footage it says shows a small Iranian ship sidling up to a damaged tanker and people on the smaller vessel removing an unexploded mine from the larger ship’s hull.
[URL]https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...tory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.41 67c9783f40

Trump doesn't let Iran off the hook. President Trump "suggests" that somebody made a mistake: "It could have been someone loose and stupid." & "It was a very foolish move!"

I think what we are seeing here is Trump attempting to turn this mistake by Iran into an opportunity for diplomacy. This is running parallel with his documenting Iran's attacks on merchant shipping through the Straight of Hormuz. That documenting, by the way, was accomplished with a US spy drone; perhaps the very one shot down. His administration is clearly moving to engage the Iranian Regime on multiple fronts.

We're not going to go to war over a shot down drone but we may in the future use that and other trespasses by the Iranians to justify a military strike against the Iranian Revolutionary Guard which the Trump Administration has identified as a terrorist organization.

"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861