This summer my wife and I have been learning how to can. Water bath and pressure canning. I did two batches of rhubarb cinnamon jam (1/2 pints) water bath... very easy to do. Did two batches of veggies, carrots in beef broth and chicken soup starter (carrots, celery, onions in chicken broth) with the last one being carrots that were thinned from the garden. 8 pint jars on these batches. Did 4 quarts of older beef from the deep freezer (to make room for new quarter) each with 2.5# raw pack. Just did our final carrot harvest and processed a double batch (stacked two deep in canner) making 11 chicken soup starters and 5 beef broth carrots.

This has been a vitally important prepping experience:
1. Filing pantry shelves with super healthy easy to prepare meals that are going to keep if we loose power.
2. Learning the skill and techniques to use the equipment we have. Too many preppers (im guilty of this) collect equipment/supplies but don’t use then gain the knowledge of how to use them. SHTF has s not the time to be figuring things out on the fly. Stress will be high enough already.
3. Now we better know what supplies and equipment that we should be shopping for and stocking up on
4. We have inspired other people to look into and start doing so. I bought a new pressure canner and started up, while two others resurrected long idle old equipment of their parents or grand parents.

Seems we are a part of a trend. Canning supplies (jars, but especially the done lids) are super hard to find, and high price if you do. Sort of like ammo! Lots of new consumers in the market and previous consumers are buying more... for both ammo and canning supplies. Existing production and supply chains are unable to catch or keep up!

"Government at its best is a necessary evil, and at it�s worst, an intolerable one."
 Thomas Paine (from "Common Sense" 1776)