I like to raise Black Australorps and Rhode Island Reds for the most part, with Black Cochin's for setters and roosters as they have a much more relaxed dispositions IMHO.

I spend a lot of time handling our chicks from day one , along with all of our other birds, as I will sit on the floor next to a brooder and dangle a hand down so that the babies can get comfortable with my presence and with me touching them and picking them up when they hop up into my open palm. I do this when we are watching tv/movie/ browsing the internet .
I use big clear plastic tubs with locking lids that have hardware clothe openings sandwiched between 1"x2" furring strips so as to make them cat proof, and to set a heat lamp on . I also prop up a large brightly colored stuffed owl toy in a corner with outstretched wings on a upside down heat lamp cage in which the baby birds flock under for comfort until they are to big to do so anymore.

I also talk to them , so that when I take them outside for a bit and call to them .."Coooome toooo Papppaaa !" they come a running , which the neighbors get a big kick out of when I call the geese and they come a flapping to me ! When it is time for the older birds to go into their respective coops I simply walk behind them with my arms outstretched imitating wings and tell them to "Go nite nite , go nite nite, all chickens/ducks/geese go to bed" in a little sing-song tone. And yes they put themselves away with me or my little granddaughters following them to lock them up for the night.
The birds are so gentle with us , and just us, that when the girls were like 3 and 4 years old they would just walk into the chicken pen by themselves to happily gather up eggs with never one single rooster/hen attack ever . Hence why I like to use Cochins to mix with the bloodlines, that and hand raising them make for much easier to handle birds , like when I have to clip wings and such.

It can be a bit of a pain in the begging at times , but in the end it is well worth it .

Besides, I would much rather spend my time with my wife and our animals then deal with most of our extended family and other grown ass morons these days ... hehehee

My Daddy is like duct tape, he can fix almost anything.

A quote from my youngest daughter at 4yrs old, many years ago.