Originally posted by Ringsider:
[b]
Looks like a lot of work for no more than you gain from it?????

Isn't an individual's personal self sufficiency worth that kind of effort effort? [/b]
My point was that it seems like a lot of trouble when you can run an engine on filtered veg oil without going through this process.

I've read more than one article on it, and if I get my hands on a low $ diesel car, I plan to experiment with this technique. My problem right now is keeping enough money on hand to put food on the table; so, I'm nowhere near prepared.

As I said, once you get the engine up to temperature, it will run on the veg oil as well as other substances such as kerosene, but the prospect of collecting used veg oil for free from resteraunts and saving them the cost of disposal makes this sound like the way to go.

You do have to filter it, but you could build up a nice stock of this fuel over time. If you went this route, you'd want to keep enough diesel on hand, maybe both substances in underground tanks to work from.

I know the diesel will last quite a bit longer than gasoline especially when you use additives with it. I do not know the storagability of the veg oil though; maybe someone could enlighten me here.

Like I said, I've read some interesting info on going this route, but there may be someone here more knowledgeable on this subject; so, please chime in and tell me what you know about it.

Here's a guy running veg oil: http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/159605551/m/347104314

Reb...

"Liberty has never come from the government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of resistance." Woodrow Wilson