This is an excellent topic. I know, I've been gone from this forum for a long time. I've been working out of state, and prepping. I'm pretty busy these days, homesteading and being gone 4 days a week.

I'm not going into great detail, but I will say this. Hunting and trapping is not going to be a reliable source of meat, as there will be many people who will be after the same game. If you like meat, raise it. The same goes for vegetables and fruits. Anyone can grow a small garden, even in most apartments you can hang plants on a windowsill or in pots on a patio. Canning is easy, not to mention cheap.

Grains store well, when stored properly. I can offer advice on this. My rice, flour and oats are well past the expiration date, and use them with no doubts or problems.

There are many pages written on homesteading, prepping food and household items, etc etc. If you want a huge resource for this kind of stuff, check out http://www.shtfm.com . I am a long time member there, good people and next to no bull. I realized the need to provide for my own without the assistance of a grocer or market a couple years ago, and I actually spend most of my free time/money prepping household items.

Don't worry, the wife and I still devote time/funds to learning, training and planning for defense, especially as I'm gone more than I'm home. She has become a good shot, we work intruder drills with her 870 as often as we can(empty and safe, of course.) She's learning, and I'm learning from my own mistakes. Anywhere there is not a plan A, B and C in place, we're developing one.

We've also enlisted a rescued German Shepherd to keep the peace while I'm gone. He's successfully kept a bear, and another unidentified four legged livestock thief at bay. We're searching for a playmate for him, a pup for him to train.

We're working on a 2 year plan for food and supplies, I suggest everyone else do the same.

P.S: For those of you who are in an active unit, I would suggest making this kind of preparedness a requirement. What good are you going to be without food and water? I still have no real affiliation with anyone, the others I know who are awake are either too lazy or too far away to count on when the shit hits the fan.

Keep the change.

In the Wasatch National Forest of Utah, 504 sheep were killed by a single bolt of lightning. Sheep huddle in storms and the lightning bolt passed from one animal to another.