Posted by: airforce Nov 27 2005, 10:59 AM
A Philosophy of Eating Cheap

If you have been following my Preparedness series of articles, you already know how I feel about eating wild foods in survival situations. An emergency is a pretty rotten time to go hunting for wild critters and plants to fill your belly. For one thing, hunting for these foods probably won't be as easy as you think, unless you've had some practice at it beforehand. Secondly, a lot of other things are quite likely to be happening at the same time; you may not have the time to go scrounging for food. Finally, you will quite likely be under a great deal of stress; trying to eat unfamiliar foods will only add to that stress level.

In short, I firmly believe

THE BEST TIME TO GATHER, PREPARE, AND EAT WILD FOODS IS RIGHT NOW.

Now is the best time to learn how to identify edible wild plants, and how to locate, hunt, and trap edible critters. Furthermore, starting now will help you save money to help pay for your emergency fuels, foods, and medical supplies.

Think of it this way: In a survival situation, which would you rather have--an opossum, or a can of Dinty Moore Beef Stew? I'll tell you what I would rather have, and it sure ain't the opossum.

Well, if you can save five bucks a week on your grocery bill by including wild foods in your diet, that's five bucks more you can spend a week on extra cans of stew. Trust me, it's worth it.

Of course, it won't be easy. You will have to educate yourself on how to identify edible plants, locate them in your area, and learn how to harvest them for consumption at the best times. This will require an investment of a few dollars for field guides, and many hours of study and practice. If you have never done this before, the learning curve can be quite steep.

Fortunately, your local bookstore probably has quite a few books on the subject. Field quides are getting better and better; avoid those Audobon guides, and pick up a couple of the newer ones. There are so many on the market now that I honestly have a hard time recommending any one. There are quite likely specialized guides concentrating on plants common in your area.

For learning about animals, the Stokely Field Guides are an excellent choice. However, nothing beats the classic Field Guide to Animal Tracks, by Olaus J. Murie. This is getting hard to find, though; you may have to go on Amazon.com to find it.

I'll be adding to this list of recipes as I get time (and as I can pry them out of my wife). I don't want to be the only one contributing to this, though. If you have a favorite recipe, by all means share it with us!

just to start things off, let me give you

Tucker's Elephant Stew for an Army Brigade

1 Medium elephant, diced
1,114 Potatoes, sliced
983 Parsnips, washed, peeled, and sliced
862 Onions, chopped
691 Cups peas
917 Gallons brown gravy
2 Rabbits (Optional)
Salt and pepper to taste

Place diced elephant in a large pot and add the brown gravy to cover. Cook meat over a kerosene fire for four weeks, adding water from time to time as necessary. Reduce heat; add potatoes, vegetables, salt, and pepper, cover, and simmer for an additional half hour.

This will serve an Army Infantry Brigade (Mechanized). If additional guests are expected (such as the major general and his adjutant) you may add the rabbits, but most folks don't like hare in their stew.

Onward and upward,
airforce

Posted by: airforce Nov 30 2005, 12:28 PM
ACORNS

Here's a little something for all the gatherers out there! Acorns were an important food source for Native Americans and early settlers.

Acorns are usually gathered in the fall. Dip dried acorns in sugar and serve. Ground acorns are often used as a flour substitute in baking, and as a soup and stew thickener. Roasted acorns were also a popular coffee substitute.

Red Oaks. These bitter acorns are oval-shaped with wooly hairs lining the cup. These acorns will remain on the trees throughout the winter months. To make these acorns safe to eat first shell, then boil the kernels for at least two hours, changing the water each time it becomes tea-colored. Continue this until the water remains clear and the nut is chocolate in color.

You can also make meal by grinding the dry, raw acorn kernels. Mix with boiling water and press out the liquid through a cheesecloth; you may have to repeat this several times. Spread on a tray and thoroughly dry in an oven at 250 F. The meal will cake during the drying process; regrind using a food chopper, then seal in containers (usually glass jars).

White Oaks. These sweet acorns need only be shelled and roasted.

ACORN BREAD

1 cup acorn meal
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons oil

Stir together the acorn meal, flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. In a separate bowl, mix together the egg, milk, and oil. Combine the ingredients, and stir just enough to moisten the dry ingredients. pour into a greasd pan and bake at 400 F for 30 minutes.

ACORN PANCAKES

1 cup acorn meal
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
3 tablespoons oil

Mix together the dry ingredients as above. In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, and oil. Combine ingredients. Spread batter thinly on a hot griddle. when edges begin to bubble, flip and brown on other side. Serve with maple syrup or jelly.

ACORN PANCAKES #2

Break an egg into a bowl. Add:
1 teaspoon salad oil
1 teaspoon honey or sugar
1/2 cup ground acorns
1/2 cup corn meal
1/2 cup whole wheat or white flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup of milk

Beat all together. If the batter is too thick to pour, thin it with milk. Pour pancakes into a hot, greased griddle and cook slowly until brown on both sides.

Serve with butter and syrup or wild blackberry jam.

Onward and upward,
airforce