Posted by: EastCentralMSMilitia Dec 17 2005, 02:54 AM
Storing a supply of food items for your family isn't hard to do. It takes time and money, and a commitment to a certain routine. But it isn't hard.

Let me walk you through a simple plan from zero to one year supply.
You can "tweak" this to fit your needs.
I don't have all the answers for your situation. I just have a small amount of experience to share.

First,
Prepare your pantry.
I don't know exactly how to describe what "YOU" need to do, but after you compute the amount of foodstuffs you will need to store you can figure the square footage the storage area will require.

You will need to buy/scrounge/construct a shelving system that allows you to "feed" your canned and dry goods from the rear. This will keep you from having to unload the shelf everytime you add new supplies. And it also promotes good rotation habits.

Also, during the pre-food phase, go to the paint department of WalMart, Lowe's, HomeDepot, or similar store. Buy 10 new 5 Gallon buckets, 10 lids with seals, and 5 snap lids. (kinda like the lid on a coffee can). You can also order very good lids from U.S. Plastics in Ohio.

The very first trip to the grocers, buy the biggest sack of sugar you can find/afford.
Empty the sugar in a bucket and put a snap lid on it.
On the next trip, buy as much non-iodized salt as you can afford. Empty these in another bucket and top with snap lid.
As you fill a bucket, seal with the permanent lids.
Your goal is 4 buckets of sugar and 4 buckets of salt.
The other buckets you can use to keep large "on hand" amounts of flour and such.

Rule Number 1: Eat what you store and store what you eat.

Rule Number 2: If you have any doubt as to what you should place in your food storage refer to Rule Number 1.

Rule Number 3: Have in sufficient quantity the foods you associate with comfort. This will allow you to transition from your usual diet to one totally from storage without undue stress.

The only practical deviation I can see to the 3 rules is having a food you don’t personally like but you keep on hand for barter purposes.

This is your goal, if you want a 1 year supply of EDIBLE food, you must make the effort to pack in foods which your family will actually eat because this MUST be rotated and the best way to do that is to use the older stuff rather than disposing of it.

It's easy to lay in a year supply of rice and beans in 5 gallon buckets. It's easy to have sugar, salt, etc... to go with that.
It's NOT easy to eat that same diet EVERY DAY for months on end. Much less get a "little one" to eat it.

I'd advise making a list of what you AND your family eat in one normal week.
List the things you like to eat normally.
Next, Multiply that amount by 55. (that's 52 for the weeks in a year and 5% more or less added on to account for stress and loss/spoilage)
Example:
If you eat 3 cans of tuna and 4 boxes mac&cheese a week, you should have 165 cans of tuna and 220 boxes M&C in storage to continue your normal routine for 1 year.
Don't forget the condiments. IE... pepper/spices/herbs/boullion cubes/syrup/molasses.

Now, you will need to figure GOOD substitutions for each item that might not store well without freezer/reefer.

Dry or evaporated milk is just one such item. Milk is an ingredient in almost every good recipe. Lack of it can ruin your whole plan.
Several boxed powdered milk varieties exist.
And do not, whatever you do, assume that Soymilk is a good substitute. I made the mistake of using my wife's soymilk to make Mac&Cheese. "ONCE".

"BUTTER FLAVORING" is also a good substitute for your recipes. I've heard folks say they'd use butter flavor crisco shortening. Sounds good too. Wouldn't want to butter my toast with it though.

Any of the above ideas can be divided or multiplied for your own needs. 30 days, 30 months, or 30 years, it doesn't matter as long as you have something for "just in case".

BTW-
I had a bad run in my business after Y2K and we DID live off of our stored foods for almost a year. Believe me when I tell you some variety in your diet will make you glad you didn't perish, and, no variety will make you wish you had.

We can easily "survive" whatever comes our way. The real challenge is to "LIVE" through the hardships. By LIVE, I mean having quality to our lives. Not just existing but excelling.

I hope this information helps......

More to come.......