A drain field for most states requirement for a drain field for even a small cabin is a ridiculous price ranging from $6,000 to $20,000 to meet new strict codes.

For those who aren't in the know, an expedient drain field can be made. I know of guys who had hunting camps who wanted a place to drain gray water (not sewage, more wash water).

Hole dug deep enough to bury a 55gal drum. Drill 1" holes all over the stinkin place on the barrel. (or maybe now would be a good time to see how that new rifle works and shoot it all up smile place the now holy barrel in the ground. The hole should place top of barrel at least 2ft down from the ground surface (I think my buddies was 3') Now take the bung off,,,thats the threaded plug on top and plan on spending an afternoon doing the most boring job ever. Placing a pipe over hole into barrel and filling it with 1/2" stone. This may take a while. Fill barrel almost to top. Thread pipe if you haven't already to the top of barrel that will stick up past the surface. fill back in with any left over stone around endges of barrel and then fill hole with dirt. These guys had pipes running from camp sink into this "drain field"

I suppose a slightly bigger one could be made, but these weren't used on any type of constant use basis. Heck the water that these ever saw probably never added up to more than 50 gallons in a weekend, so plenty of time to leach into the ground until next month or longer till hunting again.

Yes, the township REALLY frowns on this, but in a SHTF scenario do you think the building inspector is going to see if you have permits? He may very well be in the next camp over doing the same thing!

hope this helps

Bona na Croin- Neither Collar nor Crown

"Free where I live or die where I stand"