Clan,
Take a friggin chill pill.

I brought up the age of the movie and the special effects...because many people have not heard of it before.

Nuclear or atomic is a moot point. Stop nit picking details. If you live in or near a city receiving a direct hit you will either be dead from the blast effects or dying from radiation. The film was realistic in the sense that no matter what is used the effects for many will be hell on earth. If I'm in that situation I don't give a damn about the finer details of atomic theory.

As for the Jap cities that may be true. But there were also many concrete and steel structures and they didn't survive either.

Maybe it was anti-war propaganda...So what. I agree in the sense that any government stupid enough to resort to nuclear war doesn't deserve to survive.

Matter of fact throughout film it showed the media spewing forth their usual propaganda; telling folks "don't worry your government is on top of the situation...you have nothing to fear". And what did the sheeple do. What they always do, wait till the shtf then panic.

Those who survived were the few who paid close attention, prepared and took care of themselves. And to me, that was the whole point.

For those who haven't seen it...watch it and judge for yourself. Just remember...it's just a friggin movie.

"The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon, and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard." Gen. T.J. Jackson, March 1861