Several of you took the words outta my mouth, as well as Alma showing fairly similar pic to my "fanny pack" system.

Of course, several factors stick out to me:

#1] WHERE in the Country(Nation) am I, & WHERE is "home" in relationship? This is significant, as it'll assist me in knowing the possible roads NOT to traverse, and the "round'a bouts" to use. Also, whether to go it on foot, vehicle, or animal...and across what type of terrain? ALL significant to my decision.

#2] WHAT TYPE OF SCENARIO is occuring? (The pic you supplied indicates soldiers in infantry PREpared & "clearing town"). BUT! What if the "event" just occuered two to three minutes ago, & I'm ALREADY on my way "home"? Am i close enough to make it BEFORE the SHTF GENERALLY?

#3] What are the social dynamics surrounding my "home"? Nuclear devestation? Riots? Warfare? Or is all JUST BEGINING to "sink in" to the local populace? Do I have time to take advatage of the "lag time"? Or, NOT...?

#4] Considering the possibilitiy that I'm sitting in a resturant, in S. atl., & my "home" is in N. Georgia. A "Suitcase Nuke" has just (two or three minutes ago) detonated in downtown Atl. (far enough away as to ONLY be a FALLOUT threat). I must then:
A) Determine windage
B) Determine EXACT location of blast if possible
C) Determine if the "perimeter highway" is open
D) Then determine whether a "round about" is wiser(obviously, & "TOPO MAP" is a MUST!)
E) Determine the "time of day traffic flow realities" and whether my vehicle is a possibility. IF NOT, then, reassess and determine which "foot route" is safest(part of route COULD take me through CRIMINAL INFESTED area...or NOT!)
F) IF "E" is "NO VEHICLE", and I've got a TOPO for directions, then I need to NEXT decide what type of ARMS are BEST SUITED to this scenario...I'd PREFER to take BOTH my "fanny pack", as well as my "break down" AR7...(yeah, I know it's just a .22LR, but I'm COMFORTABLE with it & VERY ACCURATE with it...THAT'S what counts!) BOTH can easily be concealed, one in my clothes, the rifle in my back pack...so CIVIS for me, till I get to the "home" & determine the proper attire for the circumstance.

ALL TOLD, I stay fluid, & keep my profile low, and STAY ALERT at ALL times.

Well, that's it.

"KNOW THY ENEMY"..."He who fails to learn from History, is doomed to repeat it's errors"..."For we wrestle not against flesh & blood..."..."Quitters NEVER win, & winners NEVER quit!"