Originally posted by airforce:
We used to have a semi-annual family exercise. twice a year (in the heat of summer and the cold of winter), om a friday afternoon, we turned off the electricity, gas, and water coming into our home. We turned it back on Sunday evening.

This is a great test of your preparedness. How will you preserve the food in the refrigerator and freezer? How will you cook your meals, flush the toilets, take care of personal hygiene, and keep warm or cool?

when you think you're ready, try this exercise. if there is anything you have overlooked, this exercise will find it.

Onward and upward,
airforce
Airforce! Great Idea! My question is, how do you prevent bad things from happening to your home and equipment?

See,
I have some equipment that would probably be lost forever if the house got to cold... something I dont want to cause on my own (imagine explaining THAT to the insurance company laugh ) How do you prevent computers, TVs, and other things which pre-SHTF still have some usefullness?
In an emergency scenario, these things wouldn't matter anyway...

Also...how do you prevent your pipes from bursting from the water freezing?
Granted, when it comes to food going bad, its no big deal...

All I'm saying is, how do you carry those excercizes out when you really wish to avoid having non-essential (but expensive, and "Necessary" pre-SHTF) equipment break, pipes burst, ect...
Remember,...doing any of this on your own, makes you assume all responsibility. Damages occured to your home from freeze damage, because YOU shut off the power, gas ect...well there is no way your home insurance will pay for damages you basically incurred/welcomed.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797)